Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the deal is in the Rangers favor, maybe. I’d still prefer to wait and use those same assets to bring in other pieces that will be around long term. Another season of additional futures would be helpful.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We also would be taking on Ryan's zillion dollars until 2022

Well yeah. But there'd only be 2 seasons where all of Hank, Staal, Smith, Shatty, Ryan and EK's mega salary cross, which can be dealt with if you are looking to surround them with ELCs and cheaper players; and becomes even easier if you can move one of SSS for a smaller caphit

To me, having EK doesn't really help us next season, so why not just let him know you are interested and make a big push in 12 months when he's a FA? You have a better idea of where your roster is at, and you don't have to worry about the Ryan caphit, which can basically be used to pay EK the 8th year that he'd be missing out on

Reactions: broadwayblue

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Well yeah. But there'd only be 2 seasons where all of Hank, Staal, Smith, Shatty, Ryan and EK's mega salary cross, which can be dealt with if you are looking to surround them with ELCs and cheaper players; and becomes even easier if you can move one of SSS for a smaller caphit

To me, having EK doesn't really help us next season, so why not just let him know you are interested and make a big push in 12 months when he's a FA? You have a better idea of where your roster is at, and you don't have to worry about the Ryan caphit, which can basically be used to pay EK the 8th year that he'd be missing out on

I guess big problem with that is that if EK is gone by friday (which most ottawa senator pundits feel he will be) he will be most likely a sign and trade. One would think at least. I still agree 100 percent with you. Just see what happens and if he is a FA next summer then try to get him here. Having him here next year makes zero sense.

Reactions: mike14

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Rumor that Montreal are talking a ROR and Patches swap, or maybe ROR for 3rd overall

Thats quite the difference in assets lol. Patioready vs Zadina. Almost not fair if Buffalo gets Dahlin and Zadina in one draft. WTF. Montreal would be so dumb to trade that pick for ROR. MB needs to go for that franchises sake...actually let him stay as long as possible. I like the drama lol

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Presumably there would be ab it more to the trades than that but Montreal is incredibly dumb

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If that's a legitimate rumor, NYR should step with with Zibanejad+ or Hayes+ for the 3rd overall to compete.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Zibanejad+?

Nah.
11bbea1ef7e2bcbe82c832e5693e948e.jpg

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
That’s a very good point, I meant bad for Montreal for the 3rd overall and bad for Buffalo if it was just Pacioretty
Fair enough. Although I still think O'Reilly for the 3rd is plenty fair as well, but doesn't make much sense for Montreal considering where their team is

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I love ROR, but he's the ultimate number two center in my book.

I can't help but feel that putting slotting him into a first line role is not going to produce the results Montreal hopes for, or play to his strengths.

Meanwhile in Buffalo, you're talking about someone like Zadina joining Eichel, Dahlin, and potentially Mittelstadt.

Unless of course the deal grows and you're talking about something like Patches and the 3rd pick for ROR and Ristolainen.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
ROR put up 60 points in a super shitty Buffalo team along with excellent 2-way play. He’s slightly better than Stepan and he was this teams #1 for a few of their best years.

I’d honestly love him in NY but I know others aren’t as enamored.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad