Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Thank god the org. management has some sense of this. If the team was run by HF we would rebuild every 2 seasons lol
Never forget that a large part of the 2013-14 season on this board was filled with people complaining we should be rebuilding because our roster isn't good enough to compete.

I'm pretty sure when we lost the Cup final that people were saying the same thing the next season too and then we ended up winning the President's trophy.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Never forget that a large part of the 2013-14 season on this board was filled with people complaining we should be rebuilding because our roster isn't good enough to compete.

I'm pretty sure when we lost the Cup final that people were saying the same thing the next season too and then we ended up winning the President's trophy.

And to think if McD wasn't playing with a shattered foot and Zuc hadn't gotten his brains scrambled by that errant shot we probably would have won the cup.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
And Kravtsov is 20.

I'm not sure I understand all the people projecting him in a top 9 role opening night next season.

Can we see him produce at the AHL level first?

I think that would be a good idea. Something they should have likely done with all of Chytil, Lias, Howden.

In my opinion, they can basically bring back the same skaters they had last year. They were not even that bad, that weird 3 game thing was a weird 3 game thing.

The summer after this one once the dust has settled on several fronts, including recovering cap space, that is when I think they should look into trying to craft things a little more.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
And to think if McD wasn't playing with a shattered foot and Zuc hadn't gotten his brains scrambled by that errant shot we probably would have won the cup.
Don’t forget yandle playing with one arm and girardi/Staal also hurt (ankle hairline fracture). Yep 4 out of your 6 dmen lol

Reactions: McSauer and Bluto

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Holy hell, why is everyone trying to make this team old? Did we just land in 2010? KOIVU??? BOZAK??? YANDLE??? Sather must have multiple accounts here. None of those guys move the needle for this team especially when we have cheaper younger options. And then there's Galchenyuk....my dear lord are we that bored?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Shame because right now he's a guy that I think it makes a lot of sense to move.

Don't really agree, I think he's the kind of vet you need to keep right now while you're trying to develop a team with a lot of young talent. Again look at the guys we want to see on this team and how young they are...Kakko, 19, Chytil 20, Kravtsov 20, potentially Lafreniere 18, even Howden and Fox are just 22. Those guys need some solid professionals to not just help them on the ice but also off the ice, and to create a locker room culture that promotes a winning attitude. There's plenty of roster space for Kreider right now one way or another

A huge reason they kept him was his impact on the lockerroom and other players, they're not gonna move him now just cuz they won the draft lottery. He's a big part of how they expect this team to develop its players.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Holy hell, why is everyone trying to make this team old? Did we just land in 2010? KOIVU??? BOZAK??? YANDLE??? Sather must have multiple accounts here. None of those guys move the needle for this team especially when we have cheaper younger options. And then there's Galchenyuk....my dear lord are we that bored?
Don't think anyone suggested Yandle. Can't imagine another D who doesn't kill penalties is a priority.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Don’t forget yandle playing with one arm and girardi/Staal also hurt (ankle hairline fracture). Yep 4 out of your 6 dmen lol

I forgot about Yandle taking that nasty hit and going off the ice with that limp shoulder. That round was ****ing brutal.
That team went into game 7 completely gassed after Brass carried the team on his back in game 6.
The only consolation from that Tampa series is that we left them as broken as they left us.
Johnson, Kucherov, Hedman, and Stamkos all went into the SCF beat up pretty good. Bishop also wasn't 100%.
That year could have easily been ours. I think if NYR was healthy we would've beet Chicago easily.
NYR beat up Tampa and handed Beaver another cup. Figures.

Reactions: McSauer and bl02

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Just a reminder

Lafreniere is 18, Kakko is 19

Rangers have some time to let the process sort itself out a little.

While keeping in mind our best chance to win may be within 2 years.

Laf, Kakko, Shesty on ELCs. Z on cheap deal. Panarin in his prime

Look at the trouble the Leafs are having with their depth now that they paid everyone.

Have to take advantage of these years.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think that would be a good idea. Something they should have likely done with all of Chytil, Lias, Howden.

In my opinion, they can basically bring back the same skaters they had last year. They were not even that bad, that weird 3 game thing was a weird 3 game thing.

The summer after this one once the dust has settled on several fronts, including recovering cap space, that is when I think they should look into trying to craft things a little more.

Chytil did...

Reactions: Greg02

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Will Gauthier be protected in the expansion draft? I figured they wouldn't have traded for him if they were going to leave him exposed...but most of the projections show him as a guy who might be taken by Seattle. I don't put much stock into those because so much will likely change over the next year, but I still found it odd.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Will Gauthier be protected in the expansion draft? I figured they wouldn't have traded for him if they were going to leave him exposed...but most of the projections show him as a guy who might be taken by Seattle. I don't put much stock into those because so much will likely change over the next year, but I still found it odd.

Depends. Wouldn't surprise me. Wouldn't surprise me either if he and Lindgren were unprotected and Seattle opted for Lindgren.

But I have really high hopes for Gauthier. Top-9 for sure, if not top-6.

Reactions: McSauer

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd be surprised if he's protected.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
While keeping in mind our best chance to win may be within 2 years.

Laf, Kakko, Shesty on ELCs. Z on cheap deal. Panarin in his prime

Look at the trouble the Leafs are having with their depth now that they paid everyone.

Have to take advantage of these years.

The Leafs wasted cap space on Marleau, Matt Martin, Zaitsev and ended up signing an 11M UFA center when they already had centers yet only had like 1 or 2 half way decent defenders.

Rangers would need to avoid some of those pitfalls.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Depends. Wouldn't surprise me. Wouldn't surprise me either if he and Lindgren were unprotected and Seattle opted for Lindgren.

But I have really high hopes for Gauthier. Top-9 for sure, if not top-6.
I could only imagine Lindgren being exposed if another defenseman is brought in and they keep DeAngelo.

Reactions: Leetch3

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
How you feel about it isn't really the issue here. I don't think any average fan cares about their relationship with a GM given that they, ya know, don't actually have a relationship with a GM.

Saying we lost the McDonagh trade is, to put it nicely, insanely premature. Especially considering one of the pieces we got is widely considered to be one of the best defensemen in Europe right now.

I'll say it for you. It is idiotic and takes away credence from that person's opinion on other matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad