Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why, yes, @Edge and @jas. That *is* what I was suggesting.

Eh, I imagine he would come around to a 6'1", 203lb center who scored 40-48-88 in 53GP in his last season in the AJHL, if he could be convinced that the kid's pedestrian showing his freshman year was primarily due to a shitshow coaching job by Granato & co. that may have dragged down everyone on the team.

And if not...

:dunno: I'll survive.

Halloway in the 20s would be a great pick. And again, as a bonus, he would be a guy who also fits like a glove.

mti79

May 11, 2007
If we don't bring back Strome, do we think Chytil could do well paired with Panarin? That would allow us to bring in a lower cost veteran to play the 3rd/4th line. Was thinking maybe Mikko Koivu. Would bring leadership and would give KK another Finn on the roster.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Laf-Koivu-Fast
Lemieux-Howden-Krav

Reactions: WojtekWolski86

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If we don't bring back Strome, do we think Chytil could do well paired with Panarin? That would allow us to bring in a lower cost veteran to play the 3rd/4th line. Was thinking maybe Mikko Koivu. Would bring leadership and would give KK another Finn on the roster.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Laf-Koivu-Fast
Lemieux-Howden-Krav
Krav on any 4th line is a travesty.Kid needs to be in the top 9.Getting 7 minutes a night on the 4th line does nothing for his development

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
A guy I'd really like to get is Josh Anderson from CLB.
He's 6'3", 225 lbs, 26 yrs old RW, who plays with an edge.
He's an RFA making $1.85M, had some issues with CLB mgmt when negotiating his last contract and was rumored to be on the block. JD knows him well from CLB...

Reactions: NYRangers16

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
A guy I'd really like to get is Josh Anderson from CLB.
He's 6'3", 225 lbs, 26 yrs old RW, who plays with an edge.
He's an RFA making $1.85M, had some issues with CLB mgmt when negotiating his last contract and was rumored to be on the block. JD knows him well from CLB...
Apparently the asking price at the deadline was out of this world.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Laf-Koivu-Fast
Lemieux-Howden-Krav

RIP Vitali

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why, yes, @Edge and @jas. That *is* what I was suggesting.

Eh, I imagine he would come around to a 6'1", 203lb center who scored 40-48-88 in 53GP in his last season in the AJHL, if he could be convinced that the kid's pedestrian showing his freshman year was primarily due to a shitshow coaching job by Granato & co. that may have dragged down everyone on the team.

And if not...

:dunno: I'll survive.

JMO, but I think people love the idea of Holloway more than what he actually is.

Wisco was a f***ing mess, no doubt about it, but his problems went beyond the coaching. I don't see anything above a 3rd line ceiling (and a Howden 3rd liner) unless he finds a way to stop being allergic to playing in the paint and actually starts trying to use his size/speed to beat defenders 1 on 1, rather than opting for low percentage shots that have almost no chance of amounting to anything.

Tools are great, but they're just pretty packaging if they aren't utilized properly. I think it was @effen who said that he seems like a guy who loves to be a hammer, but is afraid of being the nail. That sums up Holloway in a nutshell IMO

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@jas asked, "Hearing any names connected to the Rangers in the later rounds?"

It's always hard to peg latter round picks because of the number of names and variables out there.

Some potential names: Pytlik, Jack Thompson, Sokolov, Blomqvist, Alex Cotton, Alex Pashin, and Theodore Neiderbach are some names that have come up in different conversations.

Reactions: egelband and BBKers

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
And there are teams that will be more desperate than us to get him thus probably raising price
Maybe...but JD is the best person to negotiate with CLB. He knows the player, his worth and what CLB would want and we have the assets

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I guess I'll take that as your acknowledgement it was a bad idea. Nothing wrong with wanting to move up but in a draft where we have the #1 pick we can settle for our next pick being in the 20's.
I think its less about the pick and more about the player available at that pick. I think Lundell is worth trading up for, regardless of having Lafreniere.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Maybe...but JD is the best person to negotiate with CLB. He knows the player, his worth and what CLB would want and we have the assets
What are you willing to trade? Don’t forget he had shoulder surgery.
I know Montreal is a team that would overpay for him

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Andersson intrigues me but his injuries this season as well as his poor statistical season make me concerned about the price to acquire him. At 26, he could walk his way to UFA I believe by just signing his QO.

I am also not sure what type of contract he is looking for honestly on a long term deal. He had 47 points last year but only 4 this year. The years prior saw 29 and 30 points respectively. To me he looks like a 35 point power forward which has value with the way he plays for sure, but I'm not okay paying him $5m per season. If he would accept a long-term deal, say 4-5 years @ ~$3.75-$4m I'd probably be a proponent of looking into trading for him. At which point it depends on the price Columbus is asking for.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We heard about all this trading up stuff last year. If Lundell gets picked in the 10 Range who’s dropping 13 spots to trade with us? Get ready to pony up!!!!!!!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Laf-Koivu-Fast
Lemieux-Howden-Krav

if we keep fast, the 4th line will be Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
What are you willing to trade? Don’t forget he had shoulder surgery.
I know Montreal is a team that would overpay for him
You're right, Montreal is drooling for a player like him, as are many teams and it's harder for us to trade with a division rival, but we have plenty of assets that I don't belive other teams have and with the cap being flat for the next few years it might limit the number of teams in the mix. Also, don't forget the JD/CLB factor...

Reactions: bl02

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
JMO, but I think people love the idea of Holloway more than what he actually is.

Wisco was a f***ing mess, no doubt about it, but his problems went beyond the coaching. I don't see anything above a 3rd line ceiling (and a Howden 3rd liner) unless he finds a way to stop being allergic to playing in the paint and actually starts trying to use his size/speed to beat defenders 1 on 1, rather than opting for low percentage shots that have almost no chance of amounting to anything.

Tools are great, but they're just pretty packaging if they aren't utilized properly. I think it was @effen who said that he seems like a guy who loves to be a hammer, but is afraid of being the nail. That sums up Holloway in a nutshell IMO

But the funny thing is, I am perfectly alright with him being a third liner. I'm fine with him using his speed and size to disrupt things. I'm fine with him being a support guy. I'm fine with him being a bit of a utility player who can play any of the three forward positions and maybe slide into different roles as needed.

For me, if Holloway brought all that, along with 15 goals and 30 some odd points, I'm great.

If he puts it all together, I think Holloway is a guy who is cut out for a middle six role. Not someone who has to re-invent themself for the role (a failed scorer who changes his approach, or a grinder you hope he can elevate his game), but someone who is actually tailor-made for the third line.

In that sense, if Lindgren reminds me of a guy who would've been right at home on the Avs blueline back in the day, Holloway reminds me of a depth forward who would've fit like a glove in Detroit, or more recently, Chicago.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Watching Frolunda vs HV71 right now, interesting game, four draft eligible players in Raymond, Edvinsson (2021), Nybeck and Andrae + Lias and Karl Henriksson.

Lias has been the best player on the game for HV71 and Henriksson got Frolundas goal (1-1 going into the 2nd intermission).

One thing that stands out, everyone are in great shape. Been skating non-stop since March. Henriksson looks improved.

Raymond is good. Sure Nybeck is small, but very good. Wouldn’t at all be surprised if we liked both him and Andrae...

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

I hear ya. But then again, given the evidence of only a single season, this is the sort of thing that very well *could* be the result of bad coaching...

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I know it's fun to speculate about the Rangers shanking Tampa in the gut with an offer sheet, but given the history of trading between the two franchises, I don't think they'd want to nuke that bridge. In fact, would Gorton rather have Tampa in his pocket by helping them out of their cap crunch? Maybe the Rangers, who are looking for more "north-south" guys and want to "get harder to play against," would be interested in someone like Palat or Killorn? 2 and 3 years left on their deals, respectively. Both guys can play in the top six but bring enough to the table that they're not going to be out of place on the 3rd line if they get pushed down by new arrivals. Both bring a bit of a different element to the roster and might make the team more comfortable exploring options for trading Buch for defensive help?

Obviously it would likely require Hank retiring to free up enough money. Plus, these aren't guys who fit into the long-term plan. However, they might be good stepping stones to help the team feel comfortable addressing other needs while also improving their versatility in the short term.

I think it's okay to nuke that bridge. Tampa Bay has bent over NYR in trades and taking our UFAs.
We lost the McD trade.
That St. Louis trade wasn't great either with those 2 1sts that we gave up.
Boyle, Stralman, McD, Callahan, Miller, Shattenkirk, Girardi, and 2 1sts for St Louis, Hajek, Howden, Namestnikov, and 1 1st.

I don't feel bad about screwing them out of Ciareli if they make it work with the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad