Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I think it's okay to nuke that bridge. Tampa Bay has bent over NYR in trades and taking our UFAs.
We lost the McD trade.
That St. Louis trade wasn't great either with those 2 1sts that we gave up.
Boyle, Stralman, McD, Callahan, Miller, Shattenkirk, Girardi, and 2 1sts for St Louis, Hajek, Howden, Namestnikov, and 1 1st.

I don't feel bad about screwing them out of Ciareli if they make it work with the cap.
The two 2 first turned into Ho-Sang and Beauvillier. Beauvillier is a good player but a superstar he ain’t. Let’s move past that. We also went to a cup final based on that trade.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Krav on any 4th line is a travesty.Kid needs to be in the top 9.Getting 7 minutes a night on the 4th line does nothing for his development

Then put VK on the 3rd. I was just trying to spread the rookies around. Fast can play anywhere in the lineup and not look out of place. Just a guy I don't want to lose, especially for nothing. Sign him to a 2 year deal for a modest increase and you can trade him if needed or lose him in the expansion draft.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
But the funny thing is, I am perfectly alright with him being a third liner. I'm fine with him using his speed and size to disrupt things. I'm fine with him being a support guy. I'm fine with him being a bit of a utility player who can play any of the three forward positions and maybe slide into different roles as needed.

For me, if Holloway brought all that, along with 15 goals and 30 some odd points, I'm great.

If he puts it all together, I think Holloway is a guy who is cut out for a middle six role. Not someone who has to re-invent themself for the role (a failed scorer who changes his approach, or a grinder you hope he can elevate his game), but someone who is actually tailor-made for the third line.

In that sense, if Lindgren reminds me of a guy who would've been right at home on the Avs blueline back in the day, Holloway reminds me of a depth forward who would've fit like a glove in Detroit.

I'd be great too.

I realllly question his ability to be even that. I don't think thats a safe projection for him, but an "if everything goes right" one.

I think he plays, hes strong enough in the NZ and is willing defensively (he looked lost here for most of last year, but this is an area where I definitely think coaching played a part) where he will find a home somewhere in a PK/4th line role, potential injuries aside.

I also think someone takes him before we pick with the thought (or hope) that coaching/league adjustment was a big deal and that the rest of the pieces will come together. He would not be my guy with the Carolina pick, I've soured on him more and more as time has gone on, but in the mid to late 20's, I would only be slightly annoyed if he were taken - at that point it's a gamble that I can't really argue much against.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
The two 2 first turned into Ho-Sang and Beauvillier. Beauvillier is a good player but a superstar he ain’t. Let’s move past that. We also went to a cup final based on that trade.
And then they beat us the next year running our depth guys against us while St. Louis shit the bed.
screw tampa i have no problem prying their talent away from them.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think Lemieux Howden Gauthier next year would be a fourth line that Quinn would actually use. I like it.

Buchnevich is definitely getting dealt. If that’s the case and I believe it will be As brooks said on the podcast yesterday Rangers have zero issue moving Kreider to right wing and will most likely do so.

leaves Kakko on RW and a hole at 3RW. If you don’t trust Kravtsov with that spot at this point and sign Fast yikes. Maybe maybe you can sign Fast and let Kravtsov/Barron compete for the 3LW slot but it would have to be very short term. I mean a 1 or 2 year deal tops.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
And then they beat us the next year running our depth guys against us while St. Louis shit the bed.
screw tampa i have no problem prying their talent away from them.
Ok well them beating us has nothing to do with the fact that the two first rounders we gave up really didn’t matter in the long run.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think it's okay to nuke that bridge. Tampa Bay has bent over NYR in trades and taking our UFAs.
We lost the McD trade.
That St. Louis trade wasn't great either with those 2 1sts that we gave up.
Boyle, Stralman, McD, Callahan, Miller, Shattenkirk, Girardi, and 2 1sts for St Louis, Hajek, Howden, Namestnikov, and 1 1st.

I don't feel bad about screwing them out of Ciareli if they make it work with the cap.

How you feel about it isn't really the issue here. I don't think any average fan cares about their relationship with a GM given that they, ya know, don't actually have a relationship with a GM.

Saying we lost the McDonagh trade is, to put it nicely, insanely premature. Especially considering one of the pieces we got is widely considered to be one of the best defensemen in Europe right now.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think Lemieux Howden Gauthier next year would be a fourth line that Quinn would actually use. I like it.

Buchnevich is definitely getting dealt. If that’s the case and I believe it will be As brooks said on the podcast yesterday Rangers have zero issue moving Kreider to right wing and will most likely do so.

leaves Kakko on RW and a hole at 3RW. If you don’t trust Kravtsov with that spot at this point and sign Fast yikes. Maybe maybe you can sign Fast and let Kravtsov/Barron compete for the 3LW slot but it would have to be very short term. I mean a 1 or 2 year deal tops.

Strome and/or Chytil to RW as I assume if Buch goes its for a C

Reactions: NYRangers16

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
If we don't bring back Strome, do we think Chytil could do well paired with Panarin? That would allow us to bring in a lower cost veteran to play the 3rd/4th line. Was thinking maybe Mikko Koivu. Would bring leadership and would give KK another Finn on the roster.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Laf-Koivu-Fast
Lemieux-Howden-Krav

I think Koivu's 2 way game, leadership and faceoff skills would be a good bump for the forward core, especially for Kaako. He may not have much left in the tank but a 1 yr deal would be perfect stop gap.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Just a reminder

Lafreniere is 18, Kakko is 19

Rangers have some time to let the process sort itself out a little.

And Kravtsov is 20.

I'm not sure I understand all the people projecting him in a top 9 role opening night next season.

Can we see him produce at the AHL level first?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Every year we'd be trading all our players leaving their ELC's for more high draft picks.

Re-sign no one!

with a flat cap basically you better pick 7 to 9 guys you want to pay long term real money as your core and the rest really can’t be here all that long honestly.

goalie 3 Dmen 4 or 5 forwards

the rest need to be on ELC’s or short term contracts under 4 mil

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
with a flat cap basically you better pick 7 to 9 guys you want to pay long term real money as your core and the rest really can’t be here all that long honestly.

Yeah but you can also trade young assets and picks for players with heavy retention like Keith Yandle for the competing years.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Players I think have likely played their last game as a Ranger:

Fast (UFA)
Henrik
Georgiev
Staal
Lias Andersson

Players I could really see being traded (I would say 50/50):

Strome (RFA)
Deangelo (RFA)
Buchnevich
Smith

Players that have a shot at being dealt (we'll say less than 15%):

Kreider (logjam at LW and it would free up cap space)
Chytil (if they see his future on the wing instead of down the middle)
Kravtsov (in a similar prospect swap, but for a position of need like C or LD)
Smith

Because there is a logjam at the wing:

Kreider
Panarin
Laf
Kakko
Kravtsov
Buchnevich
Gauthier
Possibly Chytil (if they like him more at W than C)
Fast (if we re-sign him)
Lemieux (RFA)

If they could turn some combination of Strome, Deangelo, Georgiev, and Andersson into a top-pair LD and a 2nd line C, Gorton will have done a masterful job. I'm tempted to keep Georgiev though to relieve Igor as this really will be his rookie season. Realistically, I think you're looking at a lineup of (assuming no switches at wing):

Kreider-Zibanjead-Buchnevich
Panarin-Mikael Granlund (signed)-Kakko
Lafreniere-Chytil (who I think is more suited to the wing, but fine for the time being)-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier

XX-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Reunanen/-Smith

Igor
Georgiev

We know how productive that first line can be. Really like that second line - Kakko can play with an experienced Finn and benefit from playing with Panarin . Third line is a bit too inexperienced for my taste, but they can grow.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Any interest in Galchenyuk as a middle-6 C? IIRC, he hasn't played C in a while, but he's still only 26 and had some success as a C a few years ago in Montreal with that line of Patches and Gallagher.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
And Kravtsov is 20.

I'm not sure I understand all the people projecting him in a top 9 role opening night next season.

Can we see him produce at the AHL level first?

Good thing about Gauthier is he could and probably should be in the middle-6, so if Kravtsov doesn't make the team out of camp, you can slot Gauthier in.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Players I think have likely played their last game as a Ranger:

Fast (UFA)
Henrik
Georgiev
Staal
Lias Andersson

Players I could really see being traded (I would say 50/50):

Strome (RFA)
Deangelo (RFA)
Buchnevich
Smith

Players that have a shot at being dealt (we'll say less than 15%):

Kreider (logjam at LW and it would free up cap space)
Chytil (if they see his future on the wing instead of down the middle)
Kravtsov (in a similar prospect swap, but for a position of need like C or LD)
Smith

Because there is a logjam at the wing:

Kreider
Panarin
Laf
Kakko
Kravtsov
Buchnevich
Gauthier
Possibly Chytil (if they like him more at W than C)
Fast (if we re-sign him)
Lemieux (RFA)

If they could turn some combination of Strome, Deangelo, Georgiev, and Andersson into a top-pair LD and a 2nd line C, Gorton will have done a masterful job. I'm tempted to keep Georgiev though to relieve Igor as this really will be his rookie season. Realistically, I think you're looking at a lineup of (assuming no switches at wing):

Kreider-Zibanjead-Buchnevich
Panarin-Mikael Granlund (signed)-Kakko
Lafreniere-Chytil (who I think is more suited to the wing, but fine for the time being)-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier

XX-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Reunanen/-Smith

Igor
Georgiev

We know how productive that first line can be. Really like that second line - Kakko can play with an experienced Finn and benefit from playing with Panarin . Third line is a bit too inexperienced for my taste, but they can grow.

I think there is a near zero chance Kreider is dealt.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Any interest in Galchenyuk as a middle-6 C? IIRC, he hasn't played C in a while, but he's still only 26 and had some success as a C a few years ago in Montreal with that line of Patches and Gallagher.
:help::help::help:

not a fan at all. total soft and too inconsistent. pass. need players that are good along the boards. got enough finesse p;layers. that is an issue

I would not mind Gallagher or a younger Gallagher in the draft. he is underrated in my opinion

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I think regardless of the flat cap you pick and pay your core and then fill the team around them...the flat cap just makes it harder to do the 2nd part. the goal then is to keep that core in tact and then you continue to draft and develop players to replace the support guys that price themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad