Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
what would others think of taking on Koskinen from Edmonton if they retained a good portion, say $1.5m, if Hank retires and Georgiev is traded? He’d be a pretty good backup and he’d be around for a bit. Cheap insurance

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
what would others think of taking on Koskinen from Edmonton if they retained a good portion, say $1.5m, if Hank retires and Georgiev is traded? He’d be a pretty good backup and he’d be around for a bit. Cheap insurance

We have enough goalies in the minors we dont need to take on contracts for a back up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Based on we struggled to get 1 2nd for Talbot. Ended up with a 2nd, 3rd and their 7th for our 7th.

Reasons Talbot's trade return was low:

- No RFA years left, UFA the following year
- On a 1 year contract, team is unable to negotiate before Jan 1st
- Rangers were in a cap crunch
- Other, younger goalies were on the market in Jones and Lehner

None of these apply to Georgiev

- Georgiev has 3 RFA years left
- He's RFA this off-season, giving the acquiring team the chance to determine term
- Rangers don't have to trade Georgiev for cap reasons
- Georgiev is among the best goalies available this off season

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Georgiev has 3 RFA years left. And based on his talent, and his stats, he should not be any worse than Lehner, Bobrovsky, Bernier or Jones at the same age, who all returned more than just a 2nd rounder.

Here's an overview of RFA goalie trades at the draft

3 RFA years

2014: Jack Campbell for Nick Ebert
2014: Robin Lehner for a 1st
2013: Jonathan Bernier for 2nd + Ben Scrivens + Matt Frattin
2012: Sergei Bobrovsky for 2nd + 4th + 4th
2009: Chad Johnson for a 5th

2 RFA years
2015: Frederik Andersen for 1st + 2nd
2014: Martin Jones for 1st + Sean Kuraly

1 RFA year
2018: J-F Berube for Jordan Schroeder
2014: Antti Raanta for Ryan Haggerty

UFA years only
2015: Brian Elliott for a 2nd and cond 3rd
2015: Reto Berra for Rocco Grimaldi
2014: Jaroslav Halak for a 4th
2014: Antti Niemi for a 7th
2014: Anton Khudobin for Wisnewski
2014: Cam Talbot for 2nd+3rd

So Georgiev for a top 10 pick is in the cards!

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A few thoughts:

1. Zion Nybeck, please! :)

2. Is the Henrik Lundqvist retiring confirmed yet?

I think he could be an exciting prospect for a front office position.

No but both Larry Brooks (Speculating) and Edge (Hinting) seem to think there's a chance he goes to Frolunda sooner than later.

Reactions: McSauer

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So Georgiev for a top 10 pick is in the cards!

:sarcasm:

LOL. That won't happen but a team like Ottawa that has 3(!) picks in the first round and 4(!) in the second round, can easily offer 2 of them for Georgiev.

Georgiev in 2020 is definitely in the same conversation as Sergei Bobrovsky, Martin Jones, Robin Lehner and Freddie Andersen the years they were traded

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Tell me why Ottawa won’t do #5 for #11 and Georgiev.

They desperately need a goalie and they can still get Lundell or Quinn or someone at 11.

We get up to 5 for our pick of Holtz, Rossi or Raymond.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Ottawa with those 2 top 5 picks could do a lot worse than coming away with Stutzle and Askarov frankly.

they don’t have a ton between the pipes even though I like gustavsson he didn’t have a great year last year as many expected. Askarov is Carey Price level game changing

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Tell me why Ottawa won’t do #5 for #11 and Georgiev.

They desperately need a goalie and they can still get Lundell or Quinn or someone at 11.

We get up to 5 for our pick of Holtz, Rossi or Raymond.

Ottawa would need to look at the value between what they believe the #5 gets them vs. #11. If the delta isn't that big it's possible. But as mentioned above, they could just draft a stud goalie there who is likely to be better than Georgiev, even if it takes a few years. I mean they aren't competing now anyway. I think the odds are better we get two seconds, or a 2nd and a 3rd.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Maybe, but it would have to be for a young cost controlled player. While we have a good bit of prospect depth on D, the ones who will make it are still a year or two away in all likelihood. 2nd line centers are hard to come by, so I'm hoping we grab one (who projects to become one) with our 1st pick.
I mean, last season we were further from contending and they spent that 1st on a guy that was no where near cost controlled. It's not apples to apples but I believe there is a willingness and precedent from Gorton to spend future assets to leap towards contention. I can see Gorton grabbing a costly piece and buying out Lundqvist and Staal if cap is a problem. Maybe they both retire, but I don't think cost control is on his list of must haves in a trade.

Depends on who it is.
"Fear" was a strong word but in the context of the discussion I worry that Gorton has this team further along in his mind than others do.

I have an unconfirmed belief that the patience exhibited by Dolan is running out. They came out with the letter and full confidence from the organization but within 18 months they are spending to the cap, blowing away future assets, and chasing free agents with record contracts.

Quinn was brought in to develop, but he leans on vets and low risk young guys. Why does a development coach with a lottery bound team not have the guts to play young, skilled players that make mistakes because they have the puck?

The Knicks are a train wreck. The garden had what, a billion dropped on renovations? Maybe I'm paranoid but I've lived this nightmare before. If they rush this process, they will fail like the last several attempts failed when they took short cuts. Big contracts, buy out dead weight, empty prospect pool, bad contracts for "one last kick at the can". This is premature, but it's alarming that they never seem to follow a given plan for more than a season.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Rangers only wanted futures for DeAngelo I fail to see how he would have less value than someone like Stepan when he was dealt. So that’s top-10 pick and a good prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad