Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Miller had some issues here and in Tampa. He said in an interview that his 2nd trade in 15 months was a wake up call for him, and he changed his attitude. We now see the result
Had the thought the other day that the wake up call could've been that for the first time in his career he wasn't on a team where making a decent playoff run was essentially a given before the season even started and he'd actually have to get his shit together and try to lead the way to the playoffs instead of coasting his way there

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
If we end up with the 10th or 11th pick, could we package that pick with Carolina’s and say Buchnevich or someone of similar ilk to move drastically up? Would any team accept that?

Reactions: mschmidt64

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Had the thought the other day that the wake up call could've been that for the first time in his career he wasn't on a team where making a decent playoff run was essentially a given before the season even started and he'd actually have to get his shit together and try to lead the way to the playoffs instead of coasting his way there

Miller is and have always been a fairly good NHLer. He has a bit of skill and definitely a bit of grit. A good shot.

No matter what, a kid like that will have value around the league. I am pretty sick of the under the belt jabs taken at Miller in Ranger land. Facts are that we got fleeced by Yzerman because we overrated Namestnikov. Just like we have been fleeced by others and made bad calls on many other occasions the last years.

Miller isn’t perfect? Who cares. Many guys aren’t perfect. If he was perfect nobody would have traded him. You don’t trade perfect players.

The energy should be spent at trying to fix what is wrong in the front office instead. Why was we the team that by far showed up in the worst condition in the league for the Play-Ins? We got our own problems that we should worry about.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Miller is and have always been a fairly good NHLer. He has a bit of skill and definitely a bit of grit. A good shot.

No matter what, a kid like that will have value around the league. I am pretty sick of the under the belt jabs taken at Miller in Ranger land. Facts are that we got fleeced by Yzerman because we overrated Namestnikov. Just like we have been fleeced by others and made bad calls on many other occasions the last years.

Miller isn’t perfect? Who cares. Many guys aren’t perfect. If he was perfect nobody would have traded him. You don’t trade perfect players.

The energy should be spent at trying to fix what is wrong in the front office instead. Why was we the team that by far showed up in the worst condition in the league for the Play-Ins? We got our own problems that we should worry about.
Miller had his issues but tossing him into that atrocity of a trade was an absolute joke

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020

Agreed. Guys are going to other teams and they are showing they are solid players. Need to figure out how to handle certain players or have more patience with others. Tired of trying to be smarter than everyone else and seeing these guys play well in other places.

Reactions: Ola

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Agreed. Guys are going to other teams and they are showing they are solid players. Need to figure out how to handle certain players or have more patience with others. Tired of trying to be smarter than everyone else and seeing these guys play well in other places.
That’s not what happened with Hayes. He was having his best season of his career when we traded him. It was because he was a UFA and we were still squarely in rebuild mode and he was going to command a large a contract (which he did).

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011

The rangers didn’t just give up on guys like Miller/Hayes, there were future cap considerations to deal with. You sign either one of them and the rangers probably don’t have Panarin right now...

Reactions: Mrpuck

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
That’s not what happened with Hayes. He was having his best season of his career when we traded him. It was because he was a UFA and we were still squarely in rebuild mode and he was going to command a large a contract (which he did).
Hayes wasn't the guy i was talking about. Other players produce for other teams while we are stuck with shit like McKegg. Letting Hayes go was 100% the right move.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
The rangers didn’t just give up on guys like Miller/Hayes, there were future cap considerations to deal with. You sign either one of them and the rangers probably don’t have Panarin right now...
I didn't want Hayes long term. The point is that this team loses or gives up guys and they become better players on other teams.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
So looking at UFAs, here are a few I identified that would be good to bring in and why. Feel free to debate:

1. Matt Nieto- Great speed and makes the bottom 6 more potent with depth. Very young.
2. Zemgus Girgensons-Size. Might be a good reclamation project
3. Connor Sheary-Cup winner. He might be good for the room
4. Wayne Simmonds-This past year was his big retirement check. He can be a Fedotenko 2.0 Give him a little over a million and an A, have him play fourth line and be the old man in the room for the kids and second PP to go the net. He will also look out for his teammates. He might even help Kreider be more consistent.
5. Brad Richardson-Better than McKegg and can help with the PK
Nobody going to motivate Kreider to play any better at this stage . Absolutely nobody ....let alone Wayne S . But I know Simmonds would be fun to have around and we will need somebody like that .

Reactions: Rangers394

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So looking at UFAs, here are a few I identified that would be good to bring in and why. Feel free to debate:

1. Matt Nieto- Great speed and makes the bottom 6 more potent with depth. Very young.
2. Zemgus Girgensons-Size. Might be a good reclamation project
3. Connor Sheary-Cup winner. He might be good for the room
4. Wayne Simmonds-This past year was his big retirement check. He can be a Fedotenko 2.0 Give him a little over a million and an A, have him play fourth line and be the old man in the room for the kids and second PP to go the net. He will also look out for his teammates. He might even help Kreider be more consistent.
5. Brad Richardson-Better than McKegg and can help with the PK
I’d like to take a hard look at Johan Larsson.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hate to disappoint you all but we will be starting the year with pretty much the same team next year, I'd be very doubtful we go UFA shopping unless it's for a McKegg, Fogarty replacement. If there is a positive from how the post season played out was that it was a swift butt kicking and my guess is the players come for the next season more ready than they were this time around. Next's seasons adds will be Hajek, Miller, Barron and Kravtsov and they won't play all year but they will work in and out as they are needed. Unless DeAngelo and Strome become hard to sign I'd say everyone comes back and Hank retires. That's my prediction.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Miller had his issues but tossing him into that atrocity of a trade was an absolute joke

In retrospect we can all agree with this.

That said, this was his first year of producing at true star level- let's see if he keeps it up.

I also still take Kreider over Miller at 2nd line LW 10 times out of 10.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Hate to disappoint you all but we will be starting the year with pretty much the same team next year, I'd be very doubtful we go UFA shopping unless it's for a McKegg, Fogarty replacement. If there is a positive from how the post season played out was that it was a swift butt kicking and my guess is the players come for the next season more ready than they were this time around. Next's seasons adds will be Hajek, Miller, Barron and Kravtsov and they won't play all year but they will work in and out as they are needed. Unless DeAngelo and Strome become hard to sign I'd say everyone comes back and Hank retires. That's my prediction.
As long as i don't need to see McKegg and Digiuseppe, i'm happy.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
As long as i don't need to see McKegg and Digiuseppe, i'm happy.

Some of this is going to be determined by how willing vets are to take 1 year cheap deals while the cap stays put, and also how guys like Morgan Barron and Tim Gettinger show in camp.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Ha thanks @GeorgeKaplan

Please god let us get the #1 pick and Lundqvist retire.

That 8.5m off the cap would be MASSIVE in so many ways
I’d actually prefer to max Georgiev‘a value (and have him get a shot to start somewhere) and keep Henrik as backup for another year or two. I appreciate the cap is tight but I think they’ll be fine.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’d actually prefer to max Georgiev‘a value (and have him get a shot to start somewhere) and keep Henrik as backup for another year or two. I appreciate the cap is tight but I think they’ll be fine.

Rangers draft 1OA
Hank retires
Staal retires
Geo Traded
Vet backup signed for 1 year and 1.5 m
Howden Traded
Fast signs for cheap after better deals don't materialize
We do some other janky shit.

I'd be very happy with that offseason.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Rangers draft 1OA
Hank retires
Staal retires
Geo Traded
Vet backup signed for 1 year and 1.5 m
Howden Traded
Fast signs for cheap after better deals don't materialize
We do some other janky shit.

I'd be very happy with that offseason.
For me, "very happy" is a drastic understatement. Hell, with that offseason, I'd throw a parade down the Canyon of Heroes.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Not crazy at all but how much will he command? I’m sure he’s not taking 2/3 million per

I said before that I think he’d be perfect, I just worry that he’s prime for an overpayment.

He’s making 3 now and just turned 27. Someone will probably go 5 years in the mid 4s AAV.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I said before that I think he’d be perfect, I just worry that he’s prime for an overpayment.

He’s making 3 now and just turned 27. Someone will probably go 5 years in the mid 4s AAV.
He’s super solid but that’s gonna hurt giving him that much unless Staal or Hank retires but that’s wishful thinking

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Completely agree. Further the fact that the narrative is he “needed a wake up call to get his act together” when he had basically developed into a 50+ pt player here which the NYR haven’t exactly been picking off trees every year to put it mildly.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I mean perhaps but it also highlights what at times feels like a real lack of foresight with signing players earlier in the RFA period. Miller gets 5.3 through age 29. Is that really so “unaffordable” in the context of the 6.5 we just gave Kreider through age 36?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->