Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I mean, last season we were further from contending and they spent that 1st on a guy that was no where near cost controlled. It's not apples to apples but I believe there is a willingness and precedent from Gorton to spend future assets to leap towards contention. I can see Gorton grabbing a costly piece and buying out Lundqvist and Staal if cap is a problem. Maybe they both retire, but I don't think cost control is on his list of must haves in a trade.

The cap isn't going up. We have tons of dead cap space next season. It's going to be very difficult to add anyone who is not cost controlled.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Ultimately I think Jack Hughes is the better prospect than all 3.

That's just me.
I'd say he's the weakest of the 3 actually, and it is not particularly close. Not even considering the rookie year he had, which was completely fine and not the worst thing in the world, but Hughes is simply not as good.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Ultimately I think Jack Hughes is the better prospect than all 3.

That's just me.

I know hughes played solidly this year but i see him as the 2nd or 3rd best player of the 3. I think youre a bit biased bc he is a center. If Hughes doesnt add alot of muscle he will get pushed and knocked around in the playoffs. IF the devils make the playoffs

We saw how Kakko would be after actually have some time off between WJC, his season in sweden, and his first season in the NHL.

Lafrieneire is on a different level than both

Reactions: McSauer

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I know hughes played solidly this year but i see him as the 2nd or 3rd best player of the 3. I think youre a bit biased bc he is a center. If Hughes doesnt add alot of muscle he will get pushed and knocked around in the playoffs. IF the devils make the playoffs

If you didn't add the 'IF', I would've added that he wouldn't need to worry about that anytime soon... :laugh:

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
If you didn't add the 'IF', I would've added that he wouldn't need to worry about that anytime soon... :laugh:

As the Rangers learned this seaon which i believe we all KNOW, the finesse game works in the regular season but the playoffs you need to be able to be physical and hard on the puck and play in the dirty areas. The playoffs are a different beast

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
As the Rangers learned this seaon which i believe we all KNOW, the finesse game works in the regular season but the playoffs you need to be able to be physical and hard on the puck and play in the dirty areas. The playoffs are a different beast

Yup, but I'm sure they already knew that too. Ice gets smaller in the post season. But we were also playing an entire line that couldn't start for CAR, and our D was shown for what it is...a work in progress.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So looking at UFAs, here are a few I identified that would be good to bring in and why. Feel free to debate:

1. Matt Nieto- Great speed and makes the bottom 6 more potent with depth. Very young.
2. Zemgus Girgensons-Size. Might be a good reclamation project
3. Connor Sheary-Cup winner. He might be good for the room
4. Wayne Simmonds-This past year was his big retirement check. He can be a Fedotenko 2.0 Give him a little over a million and an A, have him play fourth line and be the old man in the room for the kids and second PP to go the net. He will also look out for his teammates. He might even help Kreider be more consistent.
5. Brad Richardson-Better than McKegg and can help with the PK

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
So looking at UFAs, here are a few I identified that would be good to bring in and why. Feel free to debate:

1. Matt Nieto- Great speed and makes the bottom 6 more potent with depth. Very young.
2. Zemgus Girgensons-Size. Might be a good reclamation project
3. Connor Sheary-Cup winner. He might be good for the room
4. Wayne Simmonds-This past year was his big retirement check. He can be a Fedotenko 2.0 Give him a little over a million and an A, have him play fourth line and be the old man in the room for the kids and second PP to go the net. He will also look out for his teammates. He might even help Kreider be more consistent.
5. Brad Richardson-Better than McKegg and can help with the PK

Girgensons would be an excellent signing as a bottom-6 C. Sheary would bring the much-needed speed.

I f***ing hate Wayne Simmonds. f*** that dude.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Maybe I'm being naive, but I think adding a Finn would help Kakko's development. I'm still surprised they didn't add a veteran one last year. I mean you have an 18-year old kid who barely speaks English, going to an Original 6 team in the biggest city in the world...and the only guy who can speak his native language is Zibanejad, who isn't even a Finn himself.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I’d be apt to reading Strome and signing Granlund

Strongly disagree.

I'm open to the idea of trading Strome, but Granlund is going to get overpaid by someone just like so many 2nd line centers before him.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Girgensons would be an excellent signing as a bottom-6 C. Sheary would bring the much-needed speed.

I f***ing hate Wayne Simmonds. f*** that dude.

Simmonds isn't here to be a main guy. You need a vet whose been through all kinds of scenarios to help this team.

Draft Lundell and you have your longterm Finn for Kaako :)

Reactions: leetch99

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I’ve heard this nickname for him before, I just must have missed something.

Was Miller like universally not liked by his teammates here?
Wasn't there a rumor that he had a bad attitude or something? I have no clue but it sucks to see our young vets thriving in other places. All of a sudden Skjei turned into Lindros with that hit on Fast and looking good in general. Those guys probably never look that good here, oh well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Wasn't there a rumor that he had a bad attitude or something? I have no clue but it sucks to see our young vets thriving in other places. All of a sudden Skjei turned into Lindros with that hit on Fast and looking good in general. Those guys probably never look that good here, oh well.

He visibly dogged it once the team announced they were going to sell in 2018. Not a good look for him.

The off ice stuff? I don't know about any of that but I always got the impression that he was well liked here.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
He visibly dogged it once the team announced they were going to sell in 2018. Not a good look for him.

The off ice stuff? I don't know about any of that but I always got the impression that he was well liked here.
I always liked Miller. Not much of a playoff guy but still a solid player. That's one pick that definitely worked out, just sucks we couldn't get more years out of him.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Simmonds isn't here to be a main guy. You need a vet whose been through all kinds of scenarios to help this team.

We could bring back Fast who has been through as much, if not more than Simmonds; but Fast is still a useful player as well.

Even without him we've currently got on the roster Kreider, Staal, Smith and Hank with all the experience in the world, plus I'm sure mckegg would take another short, cheap deal and he's got recent experience with the Canes.

If we are shopping for 'experience' there will be a lot of better deals than whatever Simmonds can supposedly still bring

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Staal is a 13 year vet. Kreiders an 8 year vet. Smith, 9 years. Zbad also with 9. Trouba and Strome just completed their 7th season.

We have a ton of youth in our lineup but there’s also plenty of veteran experience.

Fuuuuuu the idea of adding Wayne Simmonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad