Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

who does this sound like

Haha, I made several posts on this in the GDT, definitely didn’t think DQ had this in him.
E82C5CD0-A371-4784-9718-CDD216FF14DC.png

It looks like Carolina were coming after us every second of play, but it’s just the first part of the shift mostly. It drains you from a lot of energy. If you play 30 sec, then goes out of your way to land a forecheck, it drains you from a lot of energy. It takes a handful of strides. The physical impact actives a lot of muscles at a full level. Then you have to start from stand still. It’s just not worth it 30 sec into a shift when you can easily be caught another 30 sec on the ice.

I just checked, we had 40 hits and Carolina had 28. We are the inexperienced team. It’s OK, but it’s vital that DQ corrects this and don’t let it go on for the entire series. So I loved seing this tweet. Sometimes with DQ you don’t know. He says many dumb things.

Reactions: Avery16

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It can simultaneously be true that our LD is mostly trash and that Graves would be an immediate improvement.

It can simultaneously be true that Graves would be an improvement and that he is not that good.

To me, he's basically what we had in Holden/Hunwick/Diaz/Clendening/Moore. A nice cheap young option for your 2nd or 3rd pair. That's about it. Graves is basically Lindgren. Playing with an elite rookie D-man which masks his flaws.

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It can simultaneously be true that Graves would be an improvement and that he is not that good.

To me, he's basically what we had in Holden/Hunwick/Diaz/Clendening/Moore. A nice cheap young option for your 2nd or 3rd pair. That's about it. Graves is basically Lindgren. Playing with an elite rookie D-man which masks his flaws.

Graves should have gotten a shot here...I'm not sure why he didn't. I scouted him when he was in his teens and he was good then, I really have no idea how he fell through the cracks here. Even if he is "Lindgen", which I don't agree with style wise atleast he should have had a chance to show himself. The trade that got him there is an embarrassment .

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Graves should have gotten a shot here...I'm not sure why he didn't. I scouted him when he was in his teens and he was good then, I really have no idea how he fell through the cracks here. Even if he is "Lindgen", which I don't agree with style wise atleast he should have had a chance to show himself. The trade that got him there is an embarrassment .

You win some, you lose some. At the time, there was no real reason to assume he would have cracked the line up. We had Smith, Staal, Skjei. We just added Lindgren. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but this isn't a trade that keeps me up at night. I think people are overreacting to Graves' statistically good season.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
You win some, you lose some. At the time, there was no real reason to assume he would have cracked the line up. We had Smith, Staal, Skjei. We just added Lindgren. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but this isn't a trade that keeps me up at night. I think people are overreacting to Graves' statistically good season.

Just seems to happen to us more than most where a player ends up being something we could have used after we trade him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just seems to happen to us more than most where a player ends up being something we could have used after we trade him.

You mean like these trades:

Del Zotto for Klein,
Brassard for Zibanejad
Gaborik for Brassard, Dorsett and Moore
Spooner for Strome
Haggerty for Raanta
Werek for Lindberg
Hillier and Voros for Eminger

I disagree that bad trades happen to us more than to other teams. We just tend to remember the bad ones more vividly which is human nature. Losing 100 dollars is going to impact you more negatively than gaining 100 dollars is impacting you in a positive way. It's just the way our brains are wired.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Graves should have gotten a shot here...I'm not sure why he didn't. I scouted him when he was in his teens and he was good then, I really have no idea how he fell through the cracks here....

It was odd, they traded Graves right when icetime became available.
NYR finished 2018 season rolling out OGara and Gilmour regularly. OG hasnt seen NHL ice since, Gilmour hardly at all.
(and Bigras 0 NHL games since traded for Graves... )

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
NYR finished 2018 season rolling out OGara and Gilmour regularly. OG hasnt seen NHL ice since, Gilmour hardly at all.

Yea for some reason that were down on Graves ..... not sure he would of done as good here as he has in CO but he would sure make LD look better on paper

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

The reverse happens in our favor, too. ADA for example. traded to us before he had a chance to really show himself. Gauthier looks like that will be another example.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I recall hearing an interview with Graves this season where he specifically mentioned that after the trade one of his new AHL coaches completely broke his game down and essentially made him rebuild it from the ground up. He attributed that to the change in his success (not simply getting a chance in the NHL) and why he has become an established NHLer, not unlike how Benny took Talbot and told him he had to rework his game to change from a minor leaguer to an NHLer. Sometimes players just need the right voice or particular instruction to unlock the potential inside. There is nothing that guarantees Graves has the breakout here in NYR if he stayed here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We really should pull some of the Ryan Graves comments from back in the day.

Along with opinions of Torts during his time here, there's probably no subject as mis-remembered by this board.

Ironically, there was one poster imparticular who was high on Graves and repeatedly said he was better than Skjei. But he was chased from this board for a variety of reasons, including his insistance on that claim.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
We really should pull some of the Ryan Graves comments from back in the day.

Along with opinions of Torts during his time here, there's probably no subject as mis-remembered by this board.

Ironically, there was one poster imparticular who was high on Graves and repeatedly said he was better than Skjei. But he was chased from this board for a variety of reasons, including his insistance on that claim.
He chased himself off this board

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Talk about misremembered. User Pavel Buchnevich left on his own because he was a mental midget that had a real victim complex and would lose his shit anytime anyone disagreed with him. If you called him wrong on anything he'd accuse you of attacking him and you'd end up on his ignore list immediately. He does the same BS on every other board on this site he still posts on.

f*** that kid.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Could be that Graves was discounted by the previous coaching staff. If you think about it, the Rangers 2013 draft- without a 1st or a 2nd rounder got a guy who just lead the league in +/-. A guy who just played in the All-Star game. And another guy who plays on a top line in the NHL.

That's pretty good.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
HYPOTHETICAL question:

If you had your druthers, who would be the head coach of the NY Rangers? Realistic options only.

Peter Laviolette
Mike Babcock (no)
Gerard Gallant
Bruce Boudreau (no)
Mike Yeo
Dan Bylsma (no)

I gotta say, Laviolette coaching this team seems to be very intriguing on the hoof. Gallant would be interesting as well.

Reactions: McSauer

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
HYPOTHETICAL question:

If you had your druthers, who would be the head coach of the NY Rangers? Realistic options only.

Peter Laviolette
Mike Babcock (no)
Gerard Gallant
Bruce Boudreau (no)
Mike Yeo
Dan Bylsma (no)

I gotta say, Laviolette coaching this team seems to be very intriguing on the hoof. Gallant would be interesting as well.
Gallant please

Reactions: McSauer

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Talk about misremembered. User Pavel Buchnevich left on his own because he was a mental midget that had a real victim complex and would lose his shit anytime anyone disagreed with him. If you called him wrong on anything he'd accuse you of attacking him and you'd end up on his ignore list immediately. He does the same BS on every other board on this site he still posts on.

f*** that kid.

Like I said, for a variety of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad