Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Don't have time to look it up - if Carolina beats us, but then gets bounced in the next round, what are the best possible draft positions for us?

Reactions: Rangers in 7

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yup...LOL...let's make Kreider the next captain ...some kind of leadership he has shown so far....great with the kids off ice though I hear . Yawn.....how many more years of him again ??? Being a Ranger fan for almost 50 years is not easy . That will be lot of fishnagles to stomach for 7 ? more years him and Trouba . Yeah....I hate losing and I hate watching guys that take it in stride year in and out .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is kind of what I feared a little.

This team has alternately looked like a team that's putting it all together, and a team with a decent road ahead of it, depending on the snapshot. They finished the "regular season" strong and that raised expectations, understandbly so.

But now they're in one of those phases where their flaws are a more pronounced.

It's almost easy to forget that this team is still in their roller coaster phase.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This is kind of what I feared a little.

This team has alternately looked like a team that's putting it all together, and a team with a decent road ahead of it, depending on the snapshot. They finished the "regular season" strong and that raised expectations, understandbly so.

But now they're in one of those phases where their flaws are a more pronounced.

It's almost easy to forget that this team is still in their roller coaster phase.

As always, you lay out the red carpet of truth. The team is so young and considering they, more than likely, were not going to make the playoffs this year, this mini-series will do wonders for the guys as they train for next season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So to revise my original question, for the people who are really good at tracking this stuff.

Let's assume the Rangers lose, Toronto loses, and Carolina gets bounced in the following round.

What are some scenarios.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I wanted to trade Georgie for a while but unless Hank retires I think we need to buy him out and let Georgie backup. Man once we get rid of him, Smith and Staal the kids will have another year under their belts and we'll be looking pretty good!

Reactions: McSauer

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Buch-Zib-Kreider
Panarin-?-Kakko
Gauthier-Chytil-Fast
Lemieux-Howden-?/Giuseppe(as Sam calls him)

Lindgren-Fox
Smith-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo

Igor
George

Ok can't see Hank playing with the Rangers next season. We really need Fast in the bottom 6. Who are the 2C options if we don't resign Strome?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So to revise my original question, for the people who are really good at tracking this stuff.

Let's assume the Rangers lose, Toronto loses, and Carolina gets bounced in the following round.

What are some scenarios.
Assuming what you said

the Rangers could end up with either pick #1, or anywhere between 9-14 depending on who else loses/wins the lottery

Toronto would be end up with either pick #1 or anywhere between 11-15 depending on who else wins in the qualification round (they can't be any higher than 11 due to win %)

Carolina could pick anywhere from 19-23 depending on who else wins/loses in the initial round of 7

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Don't think for a moment that there's not going to be a push for compliance buyouts this summer.
Wouldn't that have been part of the new CBA? Doesn't seem like there's an appetite on either the PA or owner's behalf for adding escrow on the player's side or total dollars allocated on the owner's side.

We will likely be stuck with Hank and Staal, might have to use an asset to trade Smith to a budget team. Or perhaps package him with Geo to Detroit or something since they need a goalie and have a shit ton of draft picks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wouldn't that have been part of the new CBA? Doesn't seem like there's an appetite on either the PA or owner's behalf for adding escrow on the player's side or total dollars allocated on the owner's side.

We will likely be stuck with Hank and Staal, might have to use an asset to trade Smith to a budget team. Or perhaps package him with Geo to Detroit or something since they need a goalie and have a shit ton of draft picks.

I think both sides are wanting to get through this season and see how the fall looks. But, if nothing else, the rumblings are already starting. We'll see if it grows louder.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Assuming what you said

the Rangers could end up with either pick #1, or anywhere between 8-15 depending on who else loses/wins the lottery

Toronto would be end up with either pick #1 or anywhere between 11-15 depending on who else wins in the qualification round (they can't be any higher than 11 due to win %)

Carolina could pick anywhere from 16-23 depending on who else wins/loses in the initial round of 7

Well let's take the top pick off the table for a second, because that's just too crazy to daydream about.

Let's assume the Rangers pick 8th and then again 16. That's a pretty interesting position to be in.

In theory, it's not impossible to envision them dangling both picks if they like someone a little higher up.

Or, potentially it gives them a high-end prospect in the top ten, and then a chance to roll the dice on a high-reward player in the teens.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Well let's take the top pick off the table for a second, because that's just too crazy to daydream about.

Let's assume the Rangers pick 8th and then again 16. That's a pretty interesting position to be in.

In theory, it's not impossible to envision them dangling both picks if they like someone a little higher up.

Or, potentially it gives them a high-end prospect in the top ten, and then a chance to roll the dice on a high-reward player in the teens.
I think we need to draft some bottom 6 players. :laugh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It would be nice to see the team actually move up and get the guy they're really gung-ho for. Especially after falling just short in 2017 with Pettersson, Makar, and Glass all slipping away from them.

Then again, there's part of me who can't shake the idea of them moving up to take Lundell. So who the hell knows?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It would be nice to see the team actually move up and get the guy they're really gung-ho for. Especially after falling just short in 2017 with Pettersson, Makar, and Glass all slipping away from them.

Then again, there's part of me who can't shake the idea of them moving up to take Lundell. So who the hell knows?

I mean if they're picking at 10 and 16, you could very well see Lundell taken with the former, and someone like Jarvis, or even Gunler with the latter.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Don't have time to look it up - if Carolina beats us, but then gets bounced in the next round, what are the best possible draft positions for us?

Depends who else wins in the play in, but let's see.

Worst case: BOS, WSH, STL and VGS make the conference finals and PIT, PHI, TBL and COL are eliminated in the play in round. 27th overall

Best case: PIT, PHI, TBL and COL all win their play in round, and 4 teams ranked below them make it to the conference finals (example: DAL, EDM, NYI, TOR). That would push the Carolina pick all the way down to 19th overall

(Someone please verify)

Reactions: Sooth

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I mean if they're picking at 10 and 16, you could very well see Lundell taken with the former, and someone like Jarvis, or even Gunler with the latter.

I don't have an issue with Lundell at 10. Just lamenting the idea of moving up to get him in the 6, 7, or 8 range. At 10 I'd be content with Lundell.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I’m all for trading our 2021 1st rounder since there’s most likely just going to be only euro leagues only. Might be worth looking into at some point.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'd probably grumble a bit trading both first rounders for Lundell (no pun intended) but if he allows the team to not commit to Strome, than so be it

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't have an issue with Lundell at 10. Just lamenting the idea of moving up to get him in the 6, 7, or 8 range. At 10 I'd be content with Lundell.

Without knowing the order, risers and fallers, etc., I tend to believe that if the Rangers are sitting at 10, they feel comfortable that a guy they like is going to be there.

Obviously, I've heard they like Sanderson and Lundell, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a prospect they like more who ends up sliding.

The only possible exception is if they're picking 8th (I need verification they can pick that high), and someone they absolutely love is sitting there at 5. In that scenario I could see them dangling 8 and 16 to Ottawa to move up (Ottawa would then have four first round picks). But at this point I wouldn't consider that plausible.

My guess is that if they are sitting at 10, one of Lundell or Sanderson is on the board, and I think the odds are decent the Rangers are perfectly happy to call one of their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad