Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t know if Smith is as bad as we think he is.

He certainly has been bad. He has also been good at times. He has shown that he has the tools and that, when focused, he can play very well. That’s what led to his current contract.

I struggle to remember who he was most paired with the last time he played defense full time on this team, but I do believe we have a much better D core now than whenever that was. I also think a stint in Hartford, some nights in the press box and being used as a forward may have been a kick in the ass. Sometimes these guys get complacent and forget there may not be a next contract or they can find themselves riding pine/bus instead of living the NHL life.

Smith has grown into a great teammate and I don’t remember that aspect of him being as prominent earlier. He also seems to have more hustle and hunger. Playing on a pairing with Trouba also probably feels pretty good after the ups and downs of the past few years.

I’m not saying Smith will sustain this or that he’s transformed, but we do know the tools were always there. Certainly not the same thing, but he was also a former 1st round pick and, while older, it’s possible that he’s pulling a mini-Strome and finally getting his head on straight and bringing to bear the talent that allowed him to play well for stretches and be a 1st round selection. If that’s something Quinn has a hand in... getting guys like Strome and Smith to focus and realize their potential, all the better. A bit of a leap, I admit, but something I’m not ruling out.

I can see Smith being exactly what we’ve come to expect him to be. I can also see a small window of hope for the scenario in which he manages to solidify himself as the serviceable #4 type he was supposed to be for a few years (whether that’s here or not, different topic). Smith is definitely a likeable guy, so if he decides to turn it on for us now, or Trouba is just his ideal partner... I’m all for it.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
besides like one poster who’s ever said that
Misrepresenting posts about cap concerns into posts about personal hatred or denigrating a player’s ability is easier lifting than actually responding to the issues raised by the post.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Wait, I thought Trouba was horrible!?!

Jova’s reaction to Trouba scoring his first goal as a Ranger.

giphy.gif

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He certainly has been bad. He has also been good at times. He has shown that he has the tools and that, when focused, he can play very well. That’s what led to his current contract.

I struggle to remember who he was most paired with the last time he played defense full time on this team, but I do believe we have a much better D core now than whenever that was. I also think a stint in Hartford, some nights in the press box and being used as a forward may have been a kick in the ass. Sometimes these guys get complacent and forget there may not be a next contract or they can find themselves riding pine/bus instead of living the NHL life.

Smith has grown into a great teammate and I don’t remember that aspect of him being as prominent earlier. He also seems to have more hustle and hunger. Playing on a pairing with Trouba also probably feels pretty good after the ups and downs of the past few years.

I’m not saying Smith will sustain this or that he’s transformed, but we do know the tools were always there. Certainly not the same thing, but he was also a former 1st round pick and, while older, it’s possible that he’s pulling a mini-Strome and finally getting his head on straight and bringing to bear the talent that allowed him to play well for stretches and be a 1st round selection. If that’s something Quinn has a hand in... getting guys like Strome and Smith to focus and realize their potential, all the better. A bit of a leap, I admit, but something I’m not ruling out.

I can see Smith being exactly what we’ve come to expect him to be. I can also see a small window of hope for the scenario in which he manages to solidify himself as the serviceable #4 type he was supposed to be for a few years (whether that’s here or not, different topic). Smith is definitely a likeable guy, so if he decides to turn it on for us now, or Trouba is just his ideal partner... I’m all for it.

Smith should have been playing 3LD all season.

The only reason he played on the wing was because Quinn likes him enough to keep him around and they didn't have the balls to make Staal an extra.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The problem is not the prospect of Smith as the 3rd LD next season, it's the question of who is the first pairing LD.

There's no immediate answer.

In fact, there's no answer.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If we're so weak at LD why don't we just try playing 4F-1D during 5v5 play?

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich Kakko
Panarin Strome Chytil Fast
McKegg Howden Di Giuseppe Gauthier

Trouba
Fox
DeAngelo
Lindgren
Smith (PK only)
Staal (PK only)

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Bozle

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The problem is not the prospect of Smith as the 3rd LD next season, it's the question of who is the first pairing LD.

if smith and trouba keep working it will be smith. we don't have the cap space to bring in a true #1 so for the 1 year it becomes the least bad option if that pairing works.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

they will either need to trade for that player or hope for an unrealistic quantum leap from one of the prospects.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Here’s my answer for our 1LD:
tenor.gif

Fox-Trouba
Lindgren-ADA
Hajek-Smith

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

No d-man on the Rangers is as bad as we think they are. Just look at Girardi, Shattenkirk, and especially Poink once they left. I bet you even Marc Staal would look serviceable in a different system.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No d-man on the Rangers is as bad as we think they are. Just look at Girardi, Shattenkirk, and especially Poink once they left. I bet you even Marc Staal would look serviceable in a different system.
To be fair Skjei looks just as bad in Carolina.

Pionk they just stuck on a power play with Wheeler/Scheifele/Laine. Spoiler: he picked up assists.

Reactions: Bozle

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Girardi and Pionk didn't become good, or even 'ok' when they left the Rangers. They went from 'terrible' to 'still bad', which yeah I guess is an upgrade. Pionk is still just as bad defensively as he was on the Rangers, but is "doing well" because of the offensive situations he's put in, just like...*shockingly*...he was with the Rangers. Winnipeg is not great defensively, especially on the PK, but Pionk isn't doing them any favors either.

Girardi was still a sizeable defensive liability on Tampa, but his usage was not as much (still close-ish TOI) as in New York, so it was sort of minimized. I guess going from 37-40 CF% to 43-45 CF% really does have a large perceptive impact on a players abilities.

Shattenkirk was good before he came to the Rangers, decently good but marred by injuries while on the Rangers, and was good when he joined Tampa. Doesn't sound like a player who was bad just because he was in New York. :dunno:

Brady Skjei is sucking wind in Carolina the same amount he did with the Rangers.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Meanwhile i'm just over here hoping that firing Ruff will have the same improvement effect for our current guys as leaving did for the others

Reactions: Avery16

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Meanwhile i'm just over here hoping that firing Ruff will have the same improvement effect for our current guys as leaving did for the others
Congrats to the Rangers finishing 32 out of 32, picking 4OA in the draft, and the Devils winning the Cup.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Jets fans I talk to seem to be really happy with Pionk, and I'd hesitate to call Shattenkirk 'pretty good' with the Rangers- guy could barely skate. His lowest PPG full season of his entire career. However I don't think that's an issue with the NYR system, rather Shattenkirk declining quickly.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I still think a LD is going to be position the Rangers target in the coming months. Whether or not they can find the deal is another matter, but they'll be looking.

unless you are trading deangelo for a top LHD, I think that between the cap situation and looming expansion draft, finding a guy to fill this role will not be easy. the long term solution might have to wait a year until we have some cap space to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille