Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Pionk is their minute eater at RD because they literally have no one else haha

They lost their entire RD depth in the span of a year.

It’s like saying “well Staal eats minutes for the Rangers”. Yeah no duh he does, we have no one else right now

If you don't watch Winnipeg play just say so.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Miller is an unknown and even if he is up and down, you're talking a few years out from hitting his stride.

The Rangers are going to be seeking balance between young talent and mid-career talent.

So when we look at a pool that includes Robertson, Miller, Lindgren, and even Jones, I think we're talking about a spread of a decent amount of years, and a lot of variables.

Some of those guys will be moved, some of them will not make the final jump, some will take longer to develop, and even those who come up sooner stand a decent chance of being moved as the Rangers try to balance out the roster and experience levels.

The Rangers have been pretty consistent in their desire to add someone established to the left side. I don't think that desire is going to fade any time soon, it's just a matter of when/who/and the cost. But this won't be team that prefers to let Smith/Staal fade away and then turn the keys over to three players with 200 or less games of NHL experience.
Reports were that he did not look out of place among the pros in camp.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Maybe, but Dallas is also against the cap. I figure any team that hopes he can improve their top six will hedge their bets by offering only a competitive third-line salary. Including us.

I think a team looking to acquire him would be seeking that 4-5 year deal for $4-4.5m, which doesn't seem that outlandish even if he settles into a 3rd line depth scoring role based on the length of the deal.

I would not want the Rangers to offer that deal.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I could see this given a more 'blank slate' of just having Lindgren on the left side. By this I mean, if they had this:

_____-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
______-ADA

Than it makes sense to go find the 'right guy' who could be around for 3-4 years and allow someone like Hajek/Rykov/Miller/Reunenan to benefit from some early season sheltered minutes.

If the plan is to have Staal and Smith still around, I'm less enthused just for the issue of so much wasted cap space + assets. Although I do think Smith is an asset they could swap for a depth forward and Staal seems prime for a buyout

I think there's going to be some fluidity there. I you could see some younger guys swap in and out of the lineup, and even have stretches where you have a very young left side. All things being equal, I don't think that is the Rangers first preference, but it remains a short-term possibility.

I think there's a distinct possibility that they move a RHD in a package for a LHD, but that depends on who is available.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Some team will give it to him, I look at a team like Ottawa who have some nice wingers coming along but not much at center, he may not get a 70 point pace with Tkachuk and say Batherson but he would be effective with those two as well. He's a player who can mesh well with other good players because he gives and goes, has his head on a swivel, and uses his wingers to advance the puck. It's what he was drafted so high for but two terrible franchises at the wrong time sucked the life out of him. I have no reservation giving him 2 or 3 years as long as its under 5 mill, it gives us time to replace him in house.
If Ottawa wants to overpay, its no skin off my back. I dont think thats a good reason for us to overpay.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think there's going to be some fluidity there. I you could see some younger guys swap in and out of the lineup, and even have stretches where you have a very young left side. All things being equal, I don't think that is the Rangers first preference, but it remains a short-term possibility.

I think there's a distinct possibility that they move a RHD in a package for a LHD, but that depends on who is available.

That makes more sense depending on who is available.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Reports were that he did not look out of place among the pros in camp.

Atheltically, it got very good reviews.

From a team structure standpoint, there's a lot of chatter that they'd like to take their time with Miller and not over-expose him this early in his career.

And Miller could very well be a guy who sticks sooner, and he could claim a spot in a reasonable amount of time. If that happens though, I don't know if I see the Rangers then going with Hajek, Robertson, etc. as a full-time solution to spell the left side.

So even if Miller potentially stakes his claim by the mid-way point of next season, I don't think it really alters the Rangers desire to add a mid-career player to that corps.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If you don't watch Winnipeg play just say so.
Name their depth on RD dude lol. They have nobody else to play those minutes.

Of course they're not complaining that the guy they acquired because Trouba didn't want to play for them is eating minutes. You honestly believe the Jets plan going into the season was to have Pionk be their top pairing D?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Honestly Hajek didn’t look any better than him so he def gets the edge given his experience

hopefully smith can play as well he did against the Isles. If he can be solid our is looking pretty good sans Staal.
If ADA is out, we might get our cake and eat it too.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
In the right deal, yeah, I think it's a possibility.
It’s a really, really difficult trade to make.

I just have a very hard time trading a defenseman with such rare qualities. He has the offensive impact of an elite forward when he’s on his game. I don’t think there are more than 2 or 3 other defenseman who compare to his style offensively. Even though I think Fox is the overall better player, Tony is a special talent in his own right.

I think there’s a great chance a TDA trade ends up looking like the Zubov trade down the road.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's typical that there's a somewhat limited market on LD right now -- at least from an outsider's perspective -- and the Rangers are suddenly flush with really capable RD after years of them being viewed as unicorns around the league. Looking around at teams right now, there doesn't seem to be too many with a glaring need for a RD, a LD to spare, and enough cap space to extend DeAngelo to a long-term deal. I suppose the Rangers could move Fox in the right deal as well but I'm not sure I see that happening.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd be interested in seeing which LHD around the league would be available in a trade who would bring back equal value for DeAngelo. Has to be a short list unless other pieces are involved to make it an even trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad