Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense that we wouldn't trade Strome this offseason. I expect that to happen, and if not, a one-year extension at 4 million. I think our return for him in a trade could be a 2nd and a 3rd, or a Gauthier-level prospect ready for bottom-six minutes..

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
unless you are trading deangelo for a top LHD, I think that between the cap situation and looming expansion draft, finding a guy to fill this role will not be easy. the long term solution might have to wait a year until we have some cap space to work with.
I expect some juggling at 1LD. I think they will try ADA there and Lindgren also. Miller might get a look. It sounds like Miller could step in to the top-six, and that should give us some flexibility.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If we're so weak at LD why don't we just try playing 4F-1D during 5v5 play?

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich Kakko
Panarin Strome Chytil Fast
McKegg Howden Di Giuseppe Gauthier

Trouba
Fox
DeAngelo
Lindgren
Smith (PK only)
Staal (PK only)

Because this isn't a video game.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The Jets fans I talk to seem to be really happy with Pionk, and I'd hesitate to call Shattenkirk 'pretty good' with the Rangers- guy could barely skate. His lowest PPG full season of his entire career. However I don't think that's an issue with the NYR system, rather Shattenkirk declining quickly.

Shattenkirk was hurt for most of his time here, his biggest problem was that he cared too much and wouldnt take the time off to heal, had he went home when he got hurt things could have been different, but given we have 3 good dmen on the right side it's worked out ok for us anyway

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I still think a LD is going to be position the Rangers target in the coming months. Whether or not they can find the deal is another matter, but they'll be looking.

I personally think they wait for Miller and Jones and ride it out with Staal and Smith until they are done. They could possibly pick a dman with one or both the 1st rounders this year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because this isn't a video game.
With this new wave of puck moving, fast skating young offensive defensmen (Makar, Hughes, Fox, Dahlin, Heiskanen etc.), it is almost starting to feel like it's four on the attack and 1 guy focusing on defense.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
If we're so weak at LD why don't we just try playing 4F-1D during 5v5 play?

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich Kakko
Panarin Strome Chytil Fast
McKegg Howden Di Giuseppe Gauthier

Trouba
Fox
DeAngelo
Lindgren
Smith (PK only)
Staal (PK only)
Because Carolina might have the puck at some point.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I personally think they wait for Miller and Jones and ride it out with Staal and Smith until they are done. They could possibly pick a dman with one or both the 1st rounders this year.

you are probably several years out if you are waiting on Jones.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
With this new wave of puck moving, fast skating young offensive defensmen (Makar, Hughes, Fox, Dahlin, Heiskanen etc.), it is almost starting to feel like it's four on the attack and 1 guy focusing on defense.

Ya but those guys are actually defensemen....a player who played forward his whole life will get lost in his own end.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
unless you are trading deangelo for a top LHD, I think that between the cap situation and looming expansion draft, finding a guy to fill this role will not be easy. the long term solution might have to wait a year until we have some cap space to work with.

I think the Rangers would be open to moving pieces to get a guy they like now, and who can play a role several years down the road.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense that we wouldn't trade Strome this offseason. I expect that to happen, and if not, a one-year extension at 4 million. I think our return for him in a trade could be a 2nd and a 3rd, or a Gauthier-level prospect ready for bottom-six minutes..

I'm okay trading Strome if the value is fair. Say a couple of 2nd rounders + a decent 4th liner on an ELC. I would not be super pleased with giving him a 1 year deal to walk to UFA

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think they're a little more conservative on Miller's timeline than fans on here might be.

I'd say they are probably more focused on transition pieces, especially those who would still be young enough to be on the roster several years down the road. In contract, the fans are probably a little more focused on penciling in current prospects into the lineup or waiting for them to hit their stride.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
you are probably several years out if you are waiting on Jones.

Ya maybe, I really dont see us going looking for a #1 LD and spending the cap that is needed for that especially when we have draft picks and guys in the minors. I mean I could include Robertson in there too i guess, Hajek if he can turn it around. I think we have enough pieces that we wont be adding a high ticket player, maybe DeAngelo or Fox move over and Lindqvist comes over the following year. 2 years time I could see our d like this possibly depending on what DeAngelo does for a contract.

Miller Trouba
Fox DeAngelo
Lindgren Lindqvist.
Or
Miller Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Robertson Deangelo

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think they're a little more conservative on Miller's timeline than fans on here might be.

I'd say they are probably more focused on transition pieces, especially those who would still be young enough to be on the roster several years down the road. In contract, the fans are probably a little more focused on penciling in current prospects into the lineup or waiting for them to hit their stride.

I agree with that, but we have Staal and smith for next year, Miller imo will be up and down next year and possibly in the mix the next year.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm okay trading Strome if the value is fair. Say a couple of 2nd rounders + a decent 4th liner on an ELC. I would not be super pleased with giving him a 1 year deal to walk to UFA
Unless he can demonstrate that he can score at the expected production of a top-six F on a line without Panarin or a similar type player, I don't think he'd get 4 million on the open market.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Unless he can demonstrate that he can score at the expected production of a top-six F on a line without Panarin or a similar type player, I don't think he'd get 4 million on the open market.

That's fair, but I have to believe there are teams out there who would like to see him in their top-6 to add some secondary scoring, even if he just allows them to split up their top end guys to separate lines and puts up 50 points. Say, a team like Dallas who could then split up Radulov/Seguin/Benn like they did with Zuccarello.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Pionk's still bad in WPG. I don't even know why this is an argument.

Is he good in WPG just because of points? Because do I have news for you....he's still very much garbage in his own end. Just like with NYR. And that makes him a bad player.

People "hate to hear" the "he's been good" because they hate having to take out that trash narrative every time it pops up.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree with that, but we have Staal and smith for next year, Miller imo will be up and down next year and possibly in the mix the next year.

Miller is an unknown and even if he is up and down, you're talking a few years out from hitting his stride.

The Rangers are going to be seeking balance between young talent and mid-career talent.

So when we look at a pool that includes Robertson, Miller, Lindgren, and even Jones, I think we're talking about a spread of a decent amount of years, and a lot of variables.

Some of those guys will be moved, some of them will not make the final jump, some will take longer to develop, and even those who come up sooner stand a decent chance of being moved as the Rangers try to balance out the roster and experience levels.

The Rangers have been pretty consistent in their desire to add someone established to the left side. I don't think that desire is going to fade any time soon, it's just a matter of when/who/and the cost. But this won't be team that prefers to let Smith/Staal fade away and then turn the keys over to three players with 200 or less games of NHL experience.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So what he was our minute-muncher too. They lived and and die by Hellebuyck.
Pionk is their minute eater at RD because they literally have no one else haha

They lost their entire RD depth in the span of a year.

It’s like saying “well Staal eats minutes for the Rangers”. Yeah no duh he does, we have no one else right now

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I could see this given a more 'blank slate' of just having Lindgren on the left side. By this I mean, if they had this:

_____-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
______-ADA

Than it makes sense to go find the 'right guy' who could be around for 3-4 years and allow someone like Hajek/Rykov/Miller/Reunenan to benefit from some early season sheltered minutes.

If the plan is to have Staal and Smith still around, I'm less enthused just for the issue of so much wasted cap space + assets. Although I do think Smith is an asset they could swap for a depth forward and Staal seems prime for a buyout

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Some team will give it to him, I look at a team like Ottawa who have some nice wingers coming along but not much at center, he may not get a 70 point pace with Tkachuk and say Batherson but he would be effective with those two as well. He's a player who can mesh well with other good players because he gives and goes, has his head on a swivel, and uses his wingers to advance the puck. It's what he was drafted so high for but two terrible franchises at the wrong time sucked the life out of him. I have no reservation giving him 2 or 3 years as long as its under 5 mill, it gives us time to replace him in house.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
That's fair, but I have to believe there are teams out there who would like to see him in their top-6 to add some secondary scoring, even if he just allows them to split up their top end guys to separate lines and puts up 50 points. Say, a team like Dallas who could then split up Radulov/Seguin/Benn like they did with Zuccarello.
Maybe, but Dallas is also against the cap. I figure any team that hopes he can improve their top six will hedge their bets by offering only a competitive third-line salary. Including us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->