Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
See, I don't really agree with that. Buch is better defensively *and* offensively. And doesn't take penalties at a massively higher rate than a normal player. I also think that if Buch had been with Panarin the whole season, or hell, with Zib and Kreider the whole season, he'd have put up a bunch more points, and would almost certainly be thought of much more highly around here.
I agree in re defense and discipline. For sure. I just think Strome is more of a difference-maker offensively. I value that more. That’s all. I don’t think Buch has his “vision”. Again, I’m not saying it’s a huge gap. And I wouldn’t stretch to go long term with either. I was actually responding to the assertion that Buch is WAY better than Strome. I think it’s close and a matter of taste, cost, and fit.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Think if Toronto never hired a nerd to build a hockey team and kept Lou on to fill out the roster.
I think the Toronto guy is much like the Mets guy. Inherited a lot of talent, but mismatched talent. And did nothing to fix that. A bit of a wasted chance. And probably not the ideal situation for a neophyte. That’s where an experienced hand would have been good.

(that said, I don’t think the Mets knew how close they were when they hired BVW. The Leafs did).

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think the memory of the player Bozak was is quite a bit different from the player he's been the last two years, and who he'll probably be next season.
I'm not expecting him to like, dominate or anything, just to be a stop gap 2 way center for a year or two that would be a cheap acquisition, and his underlying numbers seem to still be pretty good

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I would look to address left D and see if we can pick up Haydn Fleury. I thought he’s been underrated and is a breakout candidate. Just turned 24 and has the skating size and experience we could pair up with Trouba. Carolina has Skjei, Gardner and Slavin signed and he’s an rfa.

when Staal and Smith are gone, you can’t expect to just fill with a couple of rookies and expect to compete. Also gives Miller time to develop.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not expecting him to like, dominate or anything, just to be a stop gap 2 way center for a year or two that would be a cheap acquisition, and his underlying numbers seem to still be pretty good

I think with where he's at, and where Chytil's at, I think the likely end result eclipses the potential reward at this point in time.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bozak would be a great addition. You keep Strome for 2C and Bozak for 3C it’s not one or the other. See if you can get Vince Dunn in that deal too. Solves A LOT of problems.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And Chytil disappears?
Chytil is a winger.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Kreider-Bozak-Chytil
Lemieux-Howden-Fast/UFA

Lindgren-Fox
Dunn-Trouba
LHD Survivor/Miller-DeAngelo

Igor-Georgiev/Vet. Min.

Buchnevich and/or Chytil to move moved at deadline.

Last edited:

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Chytil is a winger.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Kreider-Bozak-Chytil
Lemieux-Howden-Fast/UFA

Lindgren-Fox
Dunn-Trouba
LHD Survivor/Miller-DeAngelo

Igor-Georgiev/Vet. Min.

Buchnevich and/or Chytil to move moved at deadline.

You would consider trading Chytil? For what possible reason?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You would consider trading Chytil? For what possible reason?
To upgrade at Center. Have to give to get. Chytil hasn’t shown enough to be untouchable anymore. Don’t think it happens until Summer 2021 but once all the deadweight is off the books, they can re-sign Mika, and then they can make their big move. Hope Chytil proves me wrong but I don’t see it.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Hey everybody! Coming over from the Oiler's board.

We have Athanasiou who didn't live up to expectations, but at the same time has obvious upside. Since we're tight on the cap, he's a likely candidate to be traded.

There's a possibility that Askarov could be available at #14, and we're a team that could realistically draft him.

Instead, I have this crazy idea. You guys have a couple young 24 year old goalies in Shesterkin and Georgiyev. Sorry if misspelled. Would you entertain a trade of Athanasiou for Shesterkin or Georgiyev + picks?

At the same time, I'm not sure if you guys have too many wingers.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

We have Athanasiou who didn't live up to expectations, but at the same time has obvious upside. Since we're tight on the cap, he's a likely candidate to be traded.

There's a possibility that Askarov could be available at #14, and we're a team that could realistically draft him.

Instead, I have this crazy idea. You guys have a couple young 24 year old goalies in Shesterkin and Georgiyev. Sorry if misspelled. Would you entertain a trade of Athanasiou for Shesterkin or Georgiyev + picks?

You're not getting Igor

Ehhhh, what about Georgiev and Buchnevich for AA and Klefbom?

Last edited:

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

The only way you get shesterkin is if McDavid or Leon are coming the other way

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

There is nothing you have on your team or in your system that you would realistically give up that would get you Shesterkin, let alone just Athanasiou.

Geo? He can be had.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Yeah, I'd pass on Bozak. I'd go Haula or Granlund first.

I'm a Chytil fan, but I'm still surprised there's so much talk about trading a 20-year old who has not been entirely out of place in the league and did great in his Hartford stint in a very defensive league. The skill is there, but he just needs to bring it consistently.

Even if you look at his advanced stats, his corsi is above the team average (and well above some others). He hasn't broken out yet, but he has improved. We've seen him get into great positions to score and not be able to finish.

He may be better at wing as his face-off ability isn't great, and I think he could honestly afford to be more physical given his size (and thus make him more effective as a winger on the boards), but that's something that comes with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad