Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Based on the use of emoji’s and the “tone” ;) of his tweets he’s not being serious at all, and is bantering back with fans on social media and jokingly pointing out the fact that the other guy is just a nobody on the internet. Athletes in other sports engage in this kinda banter all the time but I guess in hockey it’s taboo. One twitter search is all you need to find there is a very vocal contingent of hockey fans who endlessly slander and harass the guy to an absolutely toxic degree simply because they disagree with his opinions, and he takes it in stride and makes jokes about it.
Not sure how you can't see that it does look bad for Tony. Whether he used emojis or not, it's a bad look for him. It's just uncalled for and he's better off not saying anything.

Other sports have nothing to do with it. I think it's pathetic when an athlete talks shit to a fan in any sport and i think it makes them look weak. I think it's the most pathetic thing when people talk shit over social media period and the less of that we get, the better.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Not sure how you can't see that it does look bad for Tony. Whether he used emojis or not, it's a bad look for him. It's just uncalled for and he's better off not saying anything.

Other sports have nothing to do with it. I think it's pathetic when an athlete talks shit to a fan in any sport and i think it makes them look weak. I think it's the most pathetic thing when people talk shit over social media period and the less of that we get, the better.
I think it looks 10x worse on the losers who endlessly harass an athlete on the internet, these people genuinely despise a guy they’ve never met. Every Ranger post that even so much as features a video that Tony is in these losers stalk him saying NOOOO F*** TONY DEANGELO HES A SCUMBAG etc, it’s ridiculous. But I agree, he is far above them and shouldn’t bother with them. I’m just saying I definitely didn’t take his tweets as threatening to fight the guy as some people are taking it, I think he’s just trolling them back.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I think it looks 10x worse on the losers who endlessly harass an athlete on the internet, these people genuinely despise a guy they’ve never met. Every Ranger post that even so much as features a video that Tony is in these losers stalk him saying NOOOO F*** TONY DEANGELO HES A SCUMBAG etc, it’s ridiculous. But I agree, he is far above them and shouldn’t bother with them. I’m just saying I definitely didn’t take his tweets as threatening to fight the guy as some people are taking it, I think he’s just trolling them back.
I agree and i don't understand why fans actually embarass themselves like that.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think the memory of the player Bozak was is quite a bit different from the player he's been the last two years, and who he'll probably be next season.

Wouldn't touch him.

I'd like Brayden Schenn until I saw that his 8 year deal starts when he's 29 years old.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hey everybody! Coming over from the Oiler's board.

We have Athanasiou who didn't live up to expectations, but at the same time has obvious upside. Since we're tight on the cap, he's a likely candidate to be traded.

There's a possibility that Askarov could be available at #14, and we're a team that could realistically draft him.

Instead, I have this crazy idea. You guys have a couple young 24 year old goalies in Shesterkin and Georgiyev. Sorry if misspelled. Would you entertain a trade of Athanasiou for Shesterkin or Georgiyev + picks?

At the same time, I'm not sure if you guys have too many wingers.

Shesterkin is absolutely off limits regarding any realistic trade possibilities.

AA is a nice 3rd liner, but I'd expect the + to be with him coming to the Rangers for Georgiyev.

AA's 30 goal season is an outlier. Hes a 30-35 point player with speed

Reactions: bleedblue94

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Interesting that there is such a big difference between Igor and Georgiyev. It's nice to see how you guys view these prospects. Yeah I'd totally be fine trying to make an offer for Georgiyev. Klefbomb is off the table just because his contract is too good. I'd offer Nurse but I can't see that being a realistic scenario due to him just signing a contract + being one of the leaders in the room.
there is an absolutely massive diff between Igor and Alex

Igor was likely the best goalie prospect in the world until he made the NHL. Alex was basically found money and tbh he's frustrating and inconsistent. He got his rep by winning the Rangers games he had no business doing when winning games wasn't in our best interest.

Reactions: jas

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Tony telling him to say it to him in person is basically a way of picking a fight. He definitely should not be getting into arguments like this online. Hopefully the team tells him to cut that shit out immediately. No need for that at all, awful look and i like Tony a lot.
I'm sorry, but Tony telling him to say it to his face is basically Tony telling him to say it to his face. 99% of people that talk trash on the internet would be gushing over a famous person face to face. That's what Tony is calling him out for. And unless there was a ton of security and a bunch of cameras to completely deter any repercussions, tough guy Lou would be schmoozing it up with Tony. He would do it with an islander player or Gary Bettman.

Until Tony says come meet me in front of MSG to fight, he isn't arranging a fist fight in any meaningful way. He belittled a troll on the internet. That's life today.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Re Tony. All athletes catch flack on social media. All athletes have criticism written about them or teammates. Now he has 2 accounts (2nd being his podcast) to try to drag fans and writers on twitter anytime ANYTHING is said he doesn’t like. And it’s often bc he’s sensitive. If you can’t go 5 mins without melting down at criticism or trolls, maybe don’t be on social media?

If you guys think fans who argue with him on Twitter are morons what are fans who kiss his ass on twitter and attack every other account/fan/journalist that he goes after there?

I enjoy watching Tony play hockey. But the obsession some fans have with his persona is some of the weirdest shit I’ve seen in my life being a sports fan. Trying to make this dude into this tough guy he clearly is not. He’s thin skinned as shit. I mean posters saying he’s a tough guy like Messier. Lol. It’s all so very weird.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I like that Tony D stood up for Howden. Howden seems to get a lot of hate. He is still a kid and is still growing as a player. I mean he has shown some good flashes but isn’t a finished product.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I kind of like the idea of Kakko and Lafreniere playing together. They seem like a great match.
Maybe down the road, but you're not putting a rookie and a second year player (both of which still need to actually establish themselves in the league) around our 1c, and assuming you don't take strome away from panarin then your other option would be
chytil which would mean you have 18, 19, and 21 year olds all together on a line.

You have to spread that all out, especially if kratsov is potentially going to make the team. These kids need to be insulated and put in positions to succeed, and once they establish themselves then you can shift them around together more. It's rarely a good idea to group a bunch of young players together who are trying to establish their own games at the NHL level.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Re Tony. All athletes catch flack on social media. All athletes have criticism written about them or teammates. Now he has 2 accounts (2nd being his podcast) to try to drag fans and writers on twitter anytime ANYTHING is said he doesn’t like. And it’s often bc he’s sensitive. If you can’t go 5 mins without melting down at criticism or trolls, maybe don’t be on social media?

If you guys think fans who argue with him on Twitter are morons what are fans who kiss his ass on twitter and attack every other account/fan/journalist that he goes after there?

I enjoy watching Tony play hockey. But the obsession some fans have with his persona is some of the weirdest shit I’ve seen in my life being a sports fan. Trying to make this dude into this tough guy he clearly is not. He’s thin skinned as shit. I mean posters saying he’s a tough guy like Messier. Lol. It’s all so very weird.
Any honestly objective person who looks on social media will see 100x the hate being peddled toward him than hate he & his fans are peddling towards these people. Defending a player on your favorite team is just as pathetic as slandering him and wishing violence upon him on Twitter everyday? Jesus Christ. And idk his record in fights would make me think he’s a fairly tough guy lmao

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I like that Tony D stood up for Howden. Howden seems to get a lot of hate. He is still a kid and is still growing as a player. I mean he has shown some good flashes but isn’t a finished product.

They like him cause he’s a hard worker and a more responsible 2 way player then say Andersson showed

Reactions: NYRangers0723

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

There are millions of people looking to connect with celebrities of any sort and all the time. More than 99% of these attention seekers are ultimately harmless but when someone like Tony opens himself up he is inviting everybody including that tiny fraction of bad actors who aren't harmless in.....and they are out there. I have no idea who this LouG is and he probably is just looking for a bit of attention and harmless but if Tony doesn't really know who this character is he should think twice about engaging in the way he has.....there are more than enough psychopaths and sociopaths among the attention seeking. There are knuckleheads out there who would be more than just stoked to be (in)famous just for one day.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People aren't really getting pissy because Tony D stuck up for a teammate that they don't like...right?

I have no problem with Howden if that's who you mean. Making the jump straight from the CHL to the NHL is no small thing. That said in other organizations he would have spent some time in the AHL. Still we've probably seen the worst he can be because players grow and get better from their experiences so I expect Brett to make gradual improvements as a player in the next years and if we move him we will have done the development work on him for some other team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
They like him cause he’s a hard worker and a more responsible 2 way player then say Andersson showed

Part of Howden's issue is he needs to fill out more--get stronger on his skates. At 21/22 he's 5 or 6 years away from fully maturing or that's the way it should be. Look at J. T. Both he and Kreider did the back and forth from New York to Hartford for about 3 years each. A much thinner Rangers team didn't have the same luxury with Howden and he's been a bit over his head at times. It's frustrating watching a team that's not very good and fans are always going to target some player(s) in that kind of situation. The players do get paid well though so.....

Reactions: kovazub94

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That idiot basically called out a fan to fight him in the MSG parking lot as if it were some dive bar on the jersey shore.

I’ll say again I love this kids game. Love it.

I cannot stand his social media persona and I am in utter disbelief that no one from the organization has put a stop to it.

if i invited someone to fight me in front of my corporate office publicly and HR saw it I’d be in deep trouble I’m guessing and I’m only guessing because I can’t imagine anyone dumb enough to actually do so and then there’s tony DeAngelo

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I find it hilarious that so many people are upset at a player for defending himself against a 'fan' tough guy online. Perhaps the person being the total asshole is the one to blame? Nah, we just like to give ADA a hard time...
no one is upset lmao TDA is just really thin skinned and him wanting to fight a fan is a really bad look for the organization, but also completely on brand for him.

for someone who loves screeching about snowflakes and safe spaces, he's rattled really easily on the internet.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Tony gonna go 4 days in a row doing some dumb shit on social media? Gonna be tough to top yesterday challenging a fan to a fight outside MSG
I find it hilarious that so many people are upset at a player for defending himself against a 'fan' tough guy online. Perhaps the person being the total asshole is the one to blame? Nah, we just like to give ADA a hard time...
or he could just be like 99% of athletes and ignore it?

But no, he’s too thin skinned for that evidently. Too much to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad