Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like the lines but i'm not trading Chytil for anything unless it's an overpayment. Need to keep guys on ELCs and Chytil has shown potential.
Yup. And that is why he is in there for now. Just not at center.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yup. And that is why he is in there for now. Just not at center.

I feel like this is a big year for him.

The Rangers have some good wing options to test him with, and he’s going to be 21 by the time the season starts.

If he doesn’t look like a center after next season, it won’t be because the Rangers didn’t give it a hell of a try.

But I’d really like to see next season first.

Reactions: Leetch3

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I will say it over and over again, when discussing Georgiev with SJ, the target of discussion is Kevin Labanc. Get him here. I think Georgiev could be a #1 in this league. Maybe not elite, but a decent #1. That potential ceiling can at least open the discussion for Labanc. If we had to add to it I am for it. He is a possession monster who has great speed. He can get in on the forecheck. His dZone starts increased this year and his fancy stats did not dip. His TOI also increased, wouldve been a career high.

Only thing I’m seeing as negatives is his point production regressed this year after he bet on himself with the 1 year deal and he doesnt really PK. But those aren’t necessarily true negatives.

Kreider-Zib-Buch/Strome (swap with Kakko if Buch is the one dealt)
Panarin-Monahan-Kakko
Lafreniere-Thornton-Labanc
Lemmy-Boyle-Gauthier
Clifford

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Wut
I will say it over and over again, when discussing Georgiev with SJ, the target of discussion is Kevin Labanc. Get him here. I think Georgiev could be a #1 in this league. Maybe not elite, but a decent #1. That potential ceiling can at least open the discussion for Labanc. If we had to add to it I am for it. He is a possession monster who has great speed. He can get in on the forecheck. His dZone starts increased this year and his fancy stats did not dip. His TOI also increased, wouldve been a career high.

Only thing I’m seeing as negatives is his point production regressed this year after he bet on himself with the 1 year deal and he doesnt really PK. But those aren’t necessarily true negatives.

Panarin-Monahan-Kakko
Lemmy-Boyle-Gauthier
Clifford

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020

Panarin-Monahan-Kakko
Lemmy-Boyle-Gauthier
Clifford
How are we geting Monahan and Thornton? Why would we give up assets for Monahan and why the hell are we signing Thornton?

Reactions: bl02

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hey everybody! Coming over from the Oiler's board.

We have Athanasiou who didn't live up to expectations, but at the same time has obvious upside. Since we're tight on the cap, he's a likely candidate to be traded.

There's a possibility that Askarov could be available at #14, and we're a team that could realistically draft him.

Instead, I have this crazy idea. You guys have a couple young 24 year old goalies in Shesterkin and Georgiyev. Sorry if misspelled. Would you entertain a trade of Athanasiou for Shesterkin or Georgiyev + picks?

At the same time, I'm not sure if you guys have too many wingers.

Nobody knew why you guys took Athanasiou, he was the worst defensive forward in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the khl soon. No thanks

Reactions: Rangers394

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How are we geting Monahan and Thornton? Why would we give up assets for Monahan and why the hell are we signing Thornton?
Sorry I explained it in an early post and just skipped explaining again.

I can see Calgary wanting to shake things up if they lose to Dallas. A package of Chytil, Buch/Strome, another add, and maybe a future 2nd round pick.

And I see Thornton as a solid big body veteran center in a reduced role on the 3rd line in between Laf and Labanc. 1 year deal. There is no longterm commitment. It buys time until another prospect emerges and/or you find a different solution during the 2021 offseason. He is a guy who can tighten the group up as a seasoned vet and leader to help with the transition from a rebuilding team to a contender. A stopgap with great value for the overall mindset of the team. The one thing the Rangers lack is experience and it showed in the playoff loss to the Hurricanes, which is understandable. Thornton is a guy who can add that while not costing much at all.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

I can see Calgary wanting to shake things up if they lose to Dallas. A package of Chytil, Buch/Strome, another add, and maybe a future 2nd round pick.

And I see Thornton as a solid big body veteran center in a reduced role on the 3rd line in between Laf and Labanc. 1 year deal. There is no longterm commitment. It buys time until another prospect emerges and/or you find a different solution during the 2021 offseason. He is a guy who can tighten the group up as a seasoned vet and leader to help with the transition from a rebuilding team to a contender. A stopgap with great value for the overall mindset of the team. The one thing the Rangers lack is experience and it showed in the playoff loss to the Hurricanes, which is understandable. Thornton is a guy who can add that while not costing much at all.

There's tkachuk and monohan, it's almost a tie between which one is worth more to calgary. They aren't moving him unless we overpay

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020

Monahan just seems like he would cost too much and i don't think we are at the point of moving assets, not yet anyway. I would like to see Chytil at center to see if he can take the 2c spot. I understand your reasoning though, we can use a veteran presence on this team for sure.

Reactions: RGY

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Nobody knew why you guys took Athanasiou, he was the worst defensive forward in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the khl soon. No thanks

When the trade went down I knew it wasn't going to pan out well, especially at the price we paid. The "McDavid is fast, Athanasiou is fast, omg this will work" surface level analysis bothered me. It'd be better to have someone that processes the game fast & reacts quickly as opposed to someone who can move around the ice surface fast.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Ef0RCQVWsAArwuu

Ef0RCQVX0AYvyqq

The fan appears to be a moron and is antagonizing him hard, but he's gotta walk away from this one. It's not a great look.
I don’t even understand how people can see this as TDA picking a fight though. All he said was for the guy to tell it to him in person.

And yeah, he shouldn’t have fell for the bait but still. This guy gets antagonized by fans on the daily, I think plenty of people would get frustrated while in that position.

Last edited:

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I don’t even understand how people can see this as TDA picking a fight though. All he said was for the guy to tell it to him in person.

And yeah, he shouldn’t have fell for the bait but still. This guy gets antagonized by fans on the daily, I think plenty of people would get frustrated while in that position.
Tony telling him to say it to him in person is basically a way of picking a fight. He definitely should not be getting into arguments like this online. Hopefully the team tells him to cut that shit out immediately. No need for that at all, awful look and i like Tony a lot.

Reactions: egelband

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It's a little tough to swallow but I could live with that. If we did that while Jarvis or Quinn were on the board I might be pinching myself later lol.
Georgiev is doing about as well as Talbot was when he was traded to Edmonton. Difference is that Georgiev has 3 more years of RFA control at the age of 24 whereas Talbot had 1 more year at the age of 27.

Georgiev went for your 2nd, 3rd, and 7th

However, there was argument then (and even moreso now) that that was overpay (ignore the reports that the Rangers expected a 1st, I think that is merely what they wanted and clearly no one would give that)

I would expect Georgiev to cost at least similar, if not more

2020 2nd + 2020 3rd + 2021 3rd (conditional can become 2021 2nd based on games played, probably like 45)
or
1st round pick swap (like 21-24 for your pick)

We obviously don't know the conversations behind closed doors. But, I figured this is a more pragmatic approach to it.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

Most people probably wouldn't bother engaging the way the Tony did, and that is perfectly fine. But, I also don't think that what Tony did was bad either? He is essentially just calling the guy a pushover and laughing at him. There is nothing wrong with that so long as it doesn't escalate. Seems fine to me.

With the Howden thing... some of you are so beyond incomprehensible. You want players that feel united, have each others backs, and have camaraderie. But, because it is Tony that shows it y'all get so pissy lol. The Mika Zibanejad's of the world don't need anyone sticking up for them. There's nothing wrong with sticking up for a teammate about his performance, character, work ethic, etc. even if you know you are coming in biased. That is called being a teammate and being a good friend. He didn't cross any lines, this is so stupid.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Based on the use of emoji’s and the “tone” ;) of his tweets he’s not being serious at all, and is bantering back with fans on social media and jokingly pointing out the fact that the other guy is just a nobody on the internet. Athletes in other sports engage in this kinda banter all the time but I guess in hockey it’s taboo. One twitter search is all you need to find there is a very vocal contingent of hockey fans who endlessly slander and harass the guy to an absolutely toxic degree simply because they disagree with his opinions, and he takes it in stride and makes jokes about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->