Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Well, he has 2 options here. And some leverage in negotiations. He could technically sign a 1-year ELC, play a game this season and be RFA in the off-season. If he signs and plays next year, he would be UFA in 2021.

I don't think he can play this year if they don't play regular season games isnt that right?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think he can play this year if they don't play regular season games isnt that right?

Correct. He is ineligible for the play offs as he was not on a team's reserve list at the deadline. So, only reg season.

Something else. Here is Mikko Lehtonen celebrating with a then not yet drafted Lias Andersson after winning the SHL final
ObgwjS6ud-LQAC2W8DnIoafgmWk.jpg

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
All it does is normalize the ice time so you can compare players and not have that as a factor...it does not project or tell you anything. If you're extrapolating data you're taking known data, assuming a function which is generally considered linear, and seeing what happens as you go outside the data set. That is highly prone to error.

It is no different than taking a players batting average in baseball. You don't just look at players total number of hits. Then you can't compare guys who have vastly different number of at bats. Or a QB's completion percentage in football. You can't just compare completions if one guy has thrown 100 more passes than another. Or like, and I'm not a basketball fan, but isn't the DEFAULT stat for pretty much everything in basketball per game?
You are eliminating a variable. You are pretending that all factors would remain constant and then projecting it out to "normalize". The reality is that you have no idea of who well or poorly a player would perform had said player actually played more minutes. You are making an assumption.

I am not saying that the metric is not a useful stat, it is. But utilizing it as the sole piece of evidence can lead to misleading results.

With regard to your baseball example, yes one cannot simply look at hits. But nor can one simply look at batting average. If you are one of these specialty platoon players who is a lefty and murders right handed pitching but cannot do anything against left handed pitching and as such only play against righties, chances are your batting average will appear to be fantastic and the at-bats will be lower. But one cannot simply take that batting average and presume that it would remain fantastic with more playing time. It would be opposite as the batting average would go down once you needed to face left handers.

Reactions: egelband

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like scoring 17 goals as a dman in the KHL is a sign of dominance in that league. A signing of this caliber has nothing to do with the Rangers being awake and everything to do with being able to promise him a PP spot.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You are eliminating a variable. You are pretending that all factors would remain constant and then projecting it out to "normalize". The reality is that you have no idea of who well or poorly a player would perform had said player actually played more minutes. You are making an assumption.

I am not saying that the metric is not a useful stat, it is. But utilizing it as the sole piece of evidence can lead to misleading results.

With regard to your baseball example, yes one cannot simply look at hits. But nor can one simply look at batting average. If you are one of these specialty platoon players who is a lefty and murders right handed pitching but cannot do anything against left handed pitching and as such only play against righties, chances are your batting average will appear to be fantastic and the at-bats will be lower. But one cannot simply take that batting average and presume that it would remain fantastic with more playing time. It would be opposite as the batting average would go down once you needed to face left handers.

My assumption is that most competent players will play will with Panarin. The reason for this is based on actual data. There are no assumptions in the data. I am not assuming that Panarin would score 97 5v5 pts in 1200 minutes with Chtyil because he happens to have 4.84 pts/60 with him so far. That would be an extrapolation and that would be wrong.

Well you shouldn't look at batting average at all because it's a terrible stat but that's besides the point but yes of course what you say is correct.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
In his situation, one year to prove your NHL worth before hopefully a big UFA payday, I'd be prioritizing teams that offer a better chance at PP minutes than we do for him.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I feel like scoring 17 goals as a dman in the KHL is a sign of dominance in that league. A signing of this caliber has nothing to do with the Rangers being awake and everything to do with being able to promise him a PP spot.
Obviously his scoring hasn't been like that on the previous seasons, but he has definately been a steady #1 pairing D because of his defensive abilities for many years now. Will be interesting to see how it translates to the NHL.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
In his situation, one year to prove your NHL worth before hopefully a big UFA payday, I'd be prioritizing teams that offer a better chance at PP minutes than we do for him.

On the other hand, the left side of the D is wide open for him to have a shot at a lot of ES minutes.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Played with Georgiev in Turku, with Kakko last year, won a championship with Lias in his draft year. Knows Eloranta. This screams "Rangers signing" to me. One of the best EU free agents available. And a lot of connections to NYR already.

Since he is 26, ELC rules would apply so a no-risk cheap signing
I hope this happens. Rangers haven signed a European free agent yet playing in Europe.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Re: "Extrapolation"

P/60 is only literally extrapolation if the player has played under 60 total minutes.

"Existing trends will continue," "project over a longer period of time," and "unobserved interval," are the key phrases in the three definitions posted.

Averaging to a baseline interval is only extrapolation if the available interval is less than the baseline.

Reactions: UnSandvich and SA16

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We still have not replaced Skjei. He can step right in

He's got like 2389203920938230923 other LD to compete with on the depth chart.

He's likely going to want to go to a situation where he's pretty much guaranteed to step in and play. Those bottom of the barrel teams mentioned before offer a better opportunity to do so.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Lehtonen would be a cool signing but I agree he's got a better chance to play immediately elsewhere.

There's effectively one spot on LD up for grabs next season, and they're are a ton of guys vying for it

Reactions: Joey Bones

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
He's got like 2389203920938230923 other LD to compete with on the depth chart.

He's likely going to want to go to a situation where he's pretty much guaranteed to step in and play. Those bottom of the barrel teams mentioned before offer a better opportunity to do so.

Name 3 LDs on the roster or in the system who can step in and play and would upgrade the defense.
Did I miss a few things while being quarantined? Did TDA move to the left side for good? Has Miller, Robertson and Jones taken the next step? Don't tell me Hajek and Rykov are blocking him. If it was RD then your argument would hold up but LD... awfully thin short term.

Reactions: eco's bones

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If the Rangers are trying to make the playoffs next year they very well might be more concerned with trying to find a LHD with an NHL pedigree. Found money is great, and Lehtonen could very well end up as a top-4 NHL D, but if he's their big-swing and he flops then they've done nothing to address the biggest weakness on the roster.

I see him joining a team with zero expectations and a path to walk onto the NHL roster even if he's mediocre at best to start the year. Devils or Wings make the most sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad