Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If you truly think that a 35 year old Tyler Bozak is an improvement over Ryan Strome than there is no convincing you otherwise. Bozak has regressed significantly the past 3 years leading up to this past season where he posted his worst career year yet.

......But hes an improvement compared to a 26 yr old coming off a 60 point career year. Ok
I think the suggestion isn't that Bozak is better than Strome. It's more like: sell high on Strome then bring in Bozak as a stop-gap who can duplicate Strome's production for a year until other, possibly cheaper and better options, emerge.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think it's only right that we be given the first overall pick. I mean we're basically volunteering to give up a playoff run and a chance at the Stanley Cup. We should be given the first overall pick as a token of the NHL's gratitude.
I dont think you deserve the 1st overall pick for weaseling out. Then again the league did hand Pittsburgh the 1st overall pick for them to draft Crosby and save the franchise.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
All it does is normalize the ice time so you can compare players and not have that as a factor...it does not project or tell you anything. If you're extrapolating data you're taking known data, assuming a function which is generally considered linear, and seeing what happens as you go outside the data set. That is highly prone to error.

It is no different than taking a players batting average in baseball. You don't just look at players total number of hits. Then you can't compare guys who have vastly different number of at bats. Or a QB's completion percentage in football. You can't just compare completions if one guy has thrown 100 more passes than another. Or like, and I'm not a basketball fan, but isn't the DEFAULT stat for pretty much everything in basketball per game?

Maybe the easiest analogy is ERA in baseball since both are converting data to "x/complete game" for comparison purposes and use the same formula. In baseball it's runs/full game which is runs/9 innings (formula: earned runs x 9 / actual innings). In hockey it's points per full game which is points/60 (formula: points x 60 / actual minutes).

Reactions: SA16

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Maybe the easiest analogy is ERA in baseball since both are converting data to "x/complete game" for comparison purposes and use the same formula. In baseball it's runs/full game which is runs/9 innings (formula: earned runs x 9 / actual innings). In hockey it's points per full game which is points/60 (formula: points x 60 / actual minutes).

This is well put as far as making a comparison between the two stats.

He has us 2nd in the Metro next season

This dude is clueless but I hope hes right.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Reading a lot about wanting a defensively responsible 3C. How about Derek Stepan? Maybe with some retention or with a B.Smith dump?
Unless we are gaining cap space in the deal we cannot do it, and we also aren't at the point to be giving up future assets for win now pieces

Unsure if this was half joking

Reactions: leetch99

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is well put as far as making a comparison between the two stats.

This dude is clueless but I hope hes right.

The Rangers are building a monster team and IMO they should be a playoff team in 20-21 if there is a season played. The Metro is the best division though without a doubt. The core of Pittsburgh's team are older players and they get hurt a lot--the replacements usually overachieve then and keep them in contention. They have Guentzel coming back. I could see Pittsburgh dropping for sure--I think it's going to happen eventually and maybe this will be the year but maybe not too. The Islanders and Blue Jackets I don't think are that good by the way and the Devils are a few years away from being a playoff team. So we should move up. Panarin and Zibanejad are legit 1st liners and Shesterkin is going to be an elite goalie and we have guys who can put the puck in the net and a young mobile super offensive D. We need to flesh out our depth on the bottom lines a bit--that's our biggest issue and then hopefully as well Kakko takes off.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Wonder how close he is to Nhl ready, it's hard to tell sometimes with KHL players.
He either is, or never will be. 26 years of age, been a top pairing defensman in the last couple of years at Liiga, SHL and KHL. Been a regular for the national team for the last 3 years, won the world championship with Kakko last year. I doubt he's coming over with a plan to play in the AHL for long term.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wonder how close he is to Nhl ready, it's hard to tell sometimes with KHL players.

Played with Georgiev in Turku, with Kakko last year, won a championship with Lias in his draft year. Knows Eloranta. This screams "Rangers signing" to me. One of the best EU free agents available. And a lot of connections to NYR already.

Since he is 26, ELC rules would apply so a no-risk cheap signing

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Even if he only ends up being a bottom pair Dman, still a big improvement over what we had there this season (i.e. Staal and Smith)

The guy that should sit probably won't though is the issue. Smith was actually alright at the end of the year with Trouba and I liked the fact we had a pair of dmen that punished the other team with physical play, it's not a long term solution but they did alright. Staal hasn't earned his ice time, it's sad because from what I'm seeing it's all vision related, he will pin the puck on the wall at the least bit of perceived pressure because his vision is so impaired he can't react quick enough. Of all the talk wanting Hank to retire and whatever its Staal that should be bowing out before he gets his bell rung again, and so someone else can fill that spot.

Reactions: egelband and RGY

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Played with Georgiev in Turku, with Kakko last year. Knows Eloranta. This screams "Rangers signing" to me. One of the best EU free agents available. And a lot of connections to NYR already.

Since he is 26, ELC rules would apply so a no-risk cheap signing

I assume a one-year ELC? And would he be UFA at the end of it?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I assume a one-year ELC? And would he be UFA at the end of it?

Well, he has 2 options here. And some leverage in negotiations. He could technically sign a 1-year ELC, play a game this season and be RFA in the off-season. If he signs and plays next year, he would be UFA in 2021.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I hope Rangers are awake here

I remember posting about him last month. Didn't think his last year in his contract would be mutually terminated. I think he would be a great fit. Is definitely NHL ready. One of the top dman outside of the NHL. Would fill a big need on the left side and can probably also benefit Kakko. Sign me up for bringing him into the mix.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well, he has 2 options here. And some leverage in negotiations. He could technically sign a 1-year ELC, play a game this season and be RFA in the off-season. If he signs and plays next year, he would be UFA in 2021.

Seems like I'd want option B, but I guess it depends on his discount ratio. If he went the RFA route I suppose in theory he would not be stuck with a 2 way contract.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Seems like I'd want option B, but I guess it depends on his discount ratio. If he went the RFA route I suppose in theory he would not be stuck with a 2 way contract.

It's similar to Vecchione a few years ago. Played 1 game, then negotiated a 1-way deal as an RFA. I would not have a problem with that to be honest. ELC for 2019-20, then a 2-year deal at a reasonable cap hit (1-way)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Its time to buyout Staal and used the saved money toward extending players, Dillon and Lehtonen. Trade Smith to cap floor team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I can finally use this photos for reasons other than just Kakko

Nayttokuva_2019-6-11_kello_13.55.21.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad