Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'm surprised a really cheap team hasn't done this yet in lieu of paying a full amateur scouting staff.
There are a few teams with spartan scouting staffs that rely more on central scouting and what is printed than you might imagine. When Don Maloney was running the Coyotes, they had a shoestring scouting budget. When they had a chance to draft Brandon Gormley, they didn’t even have an in person viewing of him. Maloney relied on what other teams told him. See how that one worked out. Maloney used Red Line Report extensively.

There’s a guy in Tampa that does a really good job of aggregating the high quality mock drafts every year. Last year I remember he had Robertson around #28.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Is there a "cut-off" in this draft in terms of talent? I know some drafts, there's a "consensus" group of players, like in 2017 there were six guys and of course us picking seventh. Does that exist here? I haven't gotten into it too much this year beyond the guys I was already familiar with, so I don't know where that line is. From the mocks, it seems like 7 or 8 through maybe 14 or so are a bit fluid.

I don’t know but every year it feels like we gotta hear about how we were the first pick after the top X of this draft. It never fails.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
There are a few teams with spartan scouting staffs that rely more on central scouting and what is printed than you might imagine. When Don Maloney was running the Coyotes, they had a shoestring scouting budget. When they had a chance to draft Brandon Gormley, they didn’t even have an in person viewing of him. Maloney relied on what other teams told him. See how that one worked out. Maloney used Red Line Report extensively.

There’s a guy in Tampa that does a really good job of aggregating the high quality mock drafts every year. Last year I remember he had Robertson around #28.
is this true?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
All of it
It’s interesting though. I always feel that the teams that don’t overthink the draft especially NFL and NHL are the teams that are best at drafting. The teams that try to reinvent the wheel are the ones that tend to get burnt.

Reactions: egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
everyone talks about this draft possibly being as good as the 2003. Heck I hope that is the case. picks 11-20 were better players collectively than picks 1-10. I would even say picks 21-30 were just as good as picks 1-10. We have two picks in the top 23 most likely. We should be able to grab two forwards which we need to add to our forward prospect pool depth especially since many are saying this draft is forward deep in the first round right?
Is it really? I feel like every other year it's supposed to be the greatest draft.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Is there a "cut-off" in this draft in terms of talent? I know some drafts, there's a "consensus" group of players, like in 2017 there were six guys and of course us picking seventh. Does that exist here? I haven't gotten into it too much this year beyond the guys I was already familiar with, so I don't know where that line is. From the mocks, it seems like 7 or 8 through maybe 14 or so are a bit fluid.
The tier cutoff on Tankathon is after #10OA.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Every year there always seem to be a team or two or three who seem to have the list of the Hockey News top 100 very close at hand.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just looked at the goalies drafted in the first round in the last 15 years and wow is it bad for the most part.

Spencer Knight
Jake Oetinger
Ilya Samsonov
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Malcolm Subban
Jack Campbell
Mark Visentin
Chet Pickard
Thomas McCollum
Jonathan Bernier
Riku Helenius
Semyon Varlamov
Leland Irving
Tuukka Rask
Carey Price

So of those you can really only say Rask, Price, Varlamov, and Vasilevskiy worked out. Others either busts, journeymen, or guys who are still young. And I wouldn't want the contracts of Price or Vasilevskiy. Varlamov has had a nice career but even WSH traded him after 3 years when Holtby had a good playoff (and they got the 11th overall pick which was Filip Forsberg so that worked out...kind of. lol).

Some of these are tail end of the first round and some are from weak drafts. Samsonov is going to be a very good goalie. Oettinger had a very nice first season in the AHL and Knight a .931 save % at Boston College. Several on your list turned out kind of crap but if your a team whose goaltending is kind of your Achilles heel and you don't have a good upcoming goalie prospect Askarov will probably be a very good pick. Goaltenders are fairly often the difference between playoff series won and playoff series lost.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Turris Boedker OEL Gormley Perlini Domi Strome. Seems like his method worked pretty well for the most part with their early picks. Less so with later ones but huge variance in those so you can not say why that is the case.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Turris Boedker OEL Gormley Perlini Domi Strome. Seems like his method worked pretty well for the most part with their early picks. Less so with later ones but huge variance in those so you can not say why that is the case.

Look at Colorado. If there's one team that undeservingly gets credit for "drafting well" it's them. They have not drafted a player outside the top 10 to play 100 NHL games for them since Tyson Barrie. It's easy to draft high. You just go with the consensus pick or at worst you have to pick between 2 or 3 players who usually end up being pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad