Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
I feel so disinterested right now it’s a weird feeling. The lockouts i was right here talking. If it were the off-season I’d be here talking about the team daily. But there’s just like a feeling that this isn’t the off-season I don’t know what it is feels like there just isn’t even a league right now. I just have little interest in roster discussions prospects the standings just very weird. And don’t get me wrong I miss it dearly. Just can’t get my head into it
I’m disinterested with everything right now. Hockey, schoolwork, working out, eating healthy etc. Everything is so boring and I just have a “I’ll do it tomorrow” mentality right now it’s brutal. I haven’t even shown up to a few classes on Zoom yet

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Strome is currently best option for us. Anyone else we would trade for would cost us assets and while Panarin drives a line there still is an u known about how someone else would fit with him. It's obvious they work well together and there's even the possibility that Panarin wants to play with him. The thing I noticed was that the Chytil experiment with Panarin didn't last very long, and when the plug is pulled quickly on something like that it's usually the star player that pulls it. The only known thing we have right now is that both Panarin and Strome had career years with each other, and think about it, Panarin played with Patrick Kane in Chicago yet still managed career highs here. There is absolutely no reason to separate those two players until they give us a reason to.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Strome is currently best option for us. Anyone else we would trade for would cost us assets and while Panarin drives a line there still is an u known about how someone else would fit with him. It's obvious they work well together and there's even the possibility that Panarin wants to play with him. The thing I noticed was that the Chytil experiment with Panarin didn't last very long, and when the plug is pulled quickly on something like that it's usually the star player that pulls it. The only known thing we have right now is that both Panarin and Strome had career years with each other, and think about it, Panarin played with Patrick Kane in Chicago yet still managed career highs here. There is absolutely no reason to separate those two players until they give us a reason to.

Panarin scored 11 points in 136 minutes with Chytil this year. As a line they scored 12 goals and allowed 4. I highly doubt Panarin pulled the plug on that one considering their results were outrageously good in limited time.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Strome is NOT currently the best option for the Rangers, but sure, let's continue pretending he is. Also, there is pretty much zero unknown about how someone else would fit with Panarin. That argument is silly and needs to die.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m disinterested with everything right now. Hockey, schoolwork, working out, eating healthy etc. Everything is so boring and I just have a “I’ll do it tomorrow” mentality right now it’s brutal. I haven’t even shown up to a few classes on Zoom yet

so true. This is the weirdest thing I’ve experienced. I’m already wound pretty tight (shocker I know) and this thing makes me feel like a horse ready to bolt the starting gate. Really wearing on me. The person I really feel for is my wife. She’s trapped in here with me

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Strome is NOT currently the best option for the Rangers, but sure, let's continue pretending he is. Also, there is pretty much zero unknown about how someone else would fit with Panarin. That argument is silly and needs to die.

Anyone who knows hockey knows some players don't mesh with some others. It's just the way it is but keep pretending it isn't.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Panarin scored 11 points in 136 minutes with Chytil this year. As a line they scored 12 goals and allowed 4. I highly doubt Panarin pulled the plug on that one considering their results were outrageously good in limited time.

Highly doubt? How about this, do you think the coach would play Panarin with someone he didn't want to play with? I've coached a lot of years and levels but I've never put my star player with players they didn't want to play with. If Chytil was a better fit for Panarin he would have been on his line.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
so true. This is the weirdest thing I’ve experienced. I’m already wound pretty tight (shocker I know) and this thing makes me feel like a horse ready to bolt the starting gate. Really wearing on me. The person I really feel for is my wife. She’s trapped in here with me

She married you. I'm sure she will be fine :laugh:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
...that's not what extrapolating is.

Points/60 is known data. Extrapolation is all about unknown data/values based on trends of known data/values.
Extrapolation: Extend the application of (a method or conclusion, especially one based on statistics) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue or similar methods will be applicable.

You are taking a point total and then, assuming no changes whatsoever, are projecting it over a 60 minute time frame. That is exactly what extrapolation is.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You may want to brush up on your statistics.
As do you.

When you take a players total production, divide it by the their total ice time and then multiply by 60, what do you think that is if not an extrapolation arrived at by statistics?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
source.gif

Reactions: Inferno and Kendo

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
to an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue
This is why it isn't extrapolation.

You want to know what Points/60 is? Basic rate mathematics. Which is not extrapolation.

Congrats, you played yourself.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Projection of a result when you attempt to presume that all factors stay static and project over a longer period of time. In other words, you are extrapolating a result.

There was no projection. I posted data based on results that actually happened. In other words, I was not extrapolating a result.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't need to look at the definition in a dictionary. You posted it here to self-own yourself already.
Then I am not exactly sure how you are taking a portion of the definition and saying that is not what it is?

Is this better for you: to infer (values of a variable in an unobserved interval) from values within an already observed interval

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It does not.
This statistic is typically broken up into Power Play Points per 60 Minutes (PPP/60) and Even Strength Points per 60 Minutes (ESP/60). In essence to calculate this stat you would take a player’s total production, either on the power play or at even strength, divide it by their total time on the ice at even strength or on the power play, and then multiplied by 60 (which represents minutes), or in other words: Points/Time on Ice x 60 = Points per 60 minutes. This stat is invaluable for eliminating the variable of ice time as an influencing factor on productivity. Basically this stat establishes looks at what each player is able to produce in a given amount of time.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This statistic is typically broken up into Power Play Points per 60 Minutes (PPP/60) and Even Strength Points per 60 Minutes (ESP/60). In essence to calculate this stat you would take a player’s total production, either on the power play or at even strength, divide it by their total time on the ice at even strength or on the power play, and then multiplied by 60 (which represents minutes), or in other words: Points/Time on Ice x 60 = Points per 60 minutes. This stat is invaluable for eliminating the variable of ice time as an influencing factor on productivity. Basically this stat establishes looks at what each player is able to produce in a given amount of time.

All it does is normalize the ice time so you can compare players and not have that as a factor...it does not project or tell you anything. If you're extrapolating data you're taking known data, assuming a function which is generally considered linear, and seeing what happens as you go outside the data set. That is highly prone to error.

It is no different than taking a players batting average in baseball. You don't just look at players total number of hits. Then you can't compare guys who have vastly different number of at bats. Or a QB's completion percentage in football. You can't just compare completions if one guy has thrown 100 more passes than another. Or like, and I'm not a basketball fan, but isn't the DEFAULT stat for pretty much everything in basketball per game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad