Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I think this was phase 2 of the 're-tool'. You cannot have wasted salary in the 'cap-era'.. Nash was suppose to be 'the-guy'. He took up 7.8M$ of the cap. He was a solid middle 6 player. We spent way too much money on the 'Torts-era' players. Plainly, these guys were just not good enough for their salary... And they're finally all gone. ( Mostly )

It's sad to say but this generation of the Rangers will actually be the better served once HL30 retires or is gone. I'm confident Shestyerkin will fill-in admirably, while costing no where near 8.5M$. At one point, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Lundqvist and Nash cost nearly 35M$. Almost half the cap with those players... You cannot win with that type of spending. There's no value there..

From here on out, I'd rather Gorts get rid of players a YEAR TOO EARLY than a CONTRACT TOO LATE.

I also don't think we'll be as bad as most people think. The 'new era' should truly begin in the 2019-2020 season.

What are you even talking about? Those guys brought this team as close to a cup as you can get. The window may have closed, but that doesn't mean it was never open.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I got the notification on my phone that McDonagh was going to Tampa, then another one saying so is Miller and was absolutely ecstatic. Assumed Sergachev was coming the other way, so I was initially disappointed with the return. But I feel it was a decent haul for McDonagh and Namestnikov is a massive upgrade over the Bozo. Word is that Miller threw a temper tantrum when he heard the news, started punching holes in the wall, and roaring like a bear. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go on a 10 game win streak now that he’s gone, the guys in the lockerroom are very happy they don’t have to deal with him anymore. Especially Buchnevich, Miller would pressure him into eating onion rings all the time, literally every morning skate once Buch saw Miller pull out the bag of onion rings he’d start walking the other way. Buch didn’t get along with him at all but was too intimidated to say anything
f***ing crying

Reactions: haveandare

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think this was phase 2 of the 're-tool'. You cannot have wasted salary in the 'cap-era'.. Nash was suppose to be 'the-guy'. He took up 7.8M$ of the cap. He was a solid middle 6 player. We spent way too much money on the 'Torts-era' players. Plainly, these guys were just not good enough for their salary... And they're finally all gone. ( Mostly )

It's sad to say but this generation of the Rangers will actually be the better served once HL30 retires or is gone. I'm confident Shestyerkin will fill-in admirably, while costing no where near 8.5M$. At one point, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Lundqvist and Nash cost nearly 35M$. Almost half the cap with those players... You cannot win with that type of spending. There's no value there..

From here on out, I'd rather Gorts get rid of players a YEAR TOO EARLY than a CONTRACT TOO LATE.

I also don't think we'll be as bad as most people think. The 'new era' should truly begin in the 2019-2020 season.

This is pretty much correct. We're still in year 1 of the 3-year plan. Next year we suck again and probably trade off 2 of the 4 of Spooner, Hayes, Names, or Zucc. Try to get out of Smith or Shatt's deals but those are really doubtful. Maybe take on a crap contract for a pick.

I keep seeing people with Andersson and Chytil in the lineup and I'm pretty sure they're gonna keep them buried and let them grow together in Hartford. At best 1 of the 3 of Andersson, Chytil, and Howden are gonna be up next year... NYR went from terrible C depth to start this year to Zibs/Spooner/Hayes/Names/Nieves (remember him?)/for sure veteran defensive C in UFA and THEN the 3 kids. That's 9 guys. Kids are gonna slow burn which is probably for the best.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Georgiev really surprised me. Wasn't expecting much but I think he's been really good.
I thought there was a chance he’d be good up here once he started really killing it in the AHL but I didn’t expect him to be this good. He’s been excellent with quick flurries of shots from close in. Super efficient movement in those situations imo.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is pretty much correct. We're still in year 1 of the 3-year plan. Next year we suck again and probably trade off 2 of the 4 of Spooner, Hayes, Names, or Zucc. Try to get out of Smith or Shatt's deals but those are really doubtful. Maybe take on a crap contract for a pick.

I keep seeing people with Andersson and Chytil in the lineup and I'm pretty sure they're gonna keep them buried and let them grow together in Hartford. At best 1 of the 3 of Andersson, Chytil, and Howden are gonna be up next year... NYR went from terrible C depth to start this year to Zibs/Spooner/Hayes/Names/Nieves (remember him?)/for sure veteran defensive C in UFA and THEN the 3 kids. That's 9 guys. Kids are gonna slow burn which is probably for the best.
Imo if the kids are killing the AHL there’s no reason not to bring them up regardless of pretty much anything else. Not saying any or all of them will but if they’re ppg+ and it seems like they’re not learning more then they need to play up here.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
so i listened to the gorton interview on Boomer and Carton and he said an interesting tidbit about the Stepan trade. Paraphrasing he basically said that they saw the writing on the wall when they made the decision.

Reading into it he basically knew the rebuild was coming and wanted to get rid of Step before the NTC clause kicked in. If this is the case the Smith and Shatty signings to me make sense to a degree. If they saw a rebuild coming with a sell off at the deadline then theyd need players on D.

Then again this is me and im trying to rectify the signing of smith to that god awful contract.

also said that both Chytyl and Anderson would get looks towards the end of the season. In essence so they dont hit the magic number to lose a year off the ELC

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I still think Chytil and Andersson will be on the opening day roster. Howden is a possibility depending on his camp as well as our 1st round pick this year ( hopefully we get a top5 pick ). Our forward core 're-tool' should be nearly complete next year.

The issue will be on defense. Rykov, Lindberg, Hajek, Bigras, Day etc. become more likely in 2019.. Along with Shestyorkin.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I still think Chytil and Andersson will be on the opening day roster. Howden is a possibility depending on his camp as well as our 1st round pick this year ( hopefully we get a top5 pick ). Our forward core 're-tool' should be nearly complete next year.

The issue will be on defense. Rykov, Lindberg, Hajek, Bigras, Day etc. become more likely in 2019.. Along with Shestyorkin.

These guys clearly look ahead. I don't think the regime is going to burn off ELC years willy nilly, especially combined with what you said about the D and G.

People rarely factor in NHL level strength and conditioning requirements too. Buch STILL huffs and puffs and falls over sometimes, dude had to take 20 games off last year because his abs and back couldnt take the stress of just skating around and he's not a physical player in the slightest. Let em grow into their bodies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm sure it's no mistake that the Rangers targeted a guy who can play center more effectively than Miller, but can also pop out to the wing without issue. Gives them 3 viable centers for the rest of the year, and if they re-sign both Namestnikov and Hayes, they'll have a nice cushion for any growing pains for Chytil, Andersson, and Howden as they work their way into the lineup next year.

My guess is Spooner is a guy that gets re-upped as well unless he totally bombs out the rest of the way. Can take over Zucc's role on the wing should the Rangers move on from him this summer.

Kreider, Zib, Buch, Namestnikov, and Spooner as 5 components of the top-six. Maybe that's where the Rangers look at bringing a guy like Nash back for 3 years if he's willing to take a discount. Not many options there in terms of bargain signings and even fewer options internally unless they want to play Vesey, Fast, or Lettieri there.

If Chytil, Andersson, or Howden can win a spot at center in camp, you can bump Namestnikov out to wing or start checking the market for Hayes.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I got the notification on my phone that McDonagh was going to Tampa, then another one saying so is Miller and was absolutely ecstatic. Assumed Sergachev was coming the other way, so I was initially disappointed with the return. But I feel it was a decent haul for McDonagh and Namestnikov is a massive upgrade over the Bozo. Word is that Miller threw a temper tantrum when he heard the news, started punching holes in the wall, and roaring like a bear. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go on a 10 game win streak now that he’s gone, the guys in the lockerroom are very happy they don’t have to deal with him anymore. Especially Buchnevich, Miller would pressure him into eating onion rings all the time, literally every morning skate once Buch saw Miller pull out the bag of onion rings he’d start walking the other way. Buch didn’t get along with him at all but was too intimidated to say anything

In the words of Kosmo Kramer, “a story like thats gotta be true”

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In my head, because of the way the story was told, I don’t even think it was real onion rings, but Funyuns.

What other onion rings* come in a bag?

*onion flavored rings

Fun-yuns! Fun-yuns! should be the chant when the Lightning come to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00