Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think Eakins got dealt a pretty ****ty hand to be honest.

Even if the next coach isn't the guy to lead this team when they're ready to contend, I'd much rather have a guy who is going to have the patience to deal with young players then someone who is more suited for a veteran team. Something tells me that if Q is let go this isn't a situation he would want to walk into. Chicago was still pretty young when he took over, but they already had their core pieces in place.

That team in Brooklyn, however, is tailor made for him if the Isles fired Weight at the end of this season. I hope it doesn't happen.
How many kids are playing for AV right now?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fun-yuns! Fun-yuns! should be the chant when the Lightning come to town.

YES.

Honestly though, if that kind of stuff is true... this will be good for Miller. Sounds like someone sort of arrogant because of where and how he came up into the league. A trade could instill a little humility in the guy. He’s somewhere now that’s not “his” locker room.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
YES.

Honestly though, if that kind of stuff is true... this will be good for Miller. Sounds like someone sort of arrogant because of where and how he came up into the league. A trade could instill a little humility in the guy. He’s somewhere now that’s not “his” locker room.

I remember getting skewered here a couple years ago when I commented on an interview with Miller where I got a vibe that he just wasn't happy to be a Ranger. My thought/concern at the time was that he would leave the team at the first opportunity and maybe try to go home to Pittsburgh or something. Not really trying to make any claims here, just interesting in light of what's gone on with him.

I'm personally going to miss the player. The guy is like one click of the knob away from being a superstar, but I don't think he has what it takes to get over that hump. Will always be a useful player, but the brain isn't there to really cash in on all that skill.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
YES.

Yup, when he'd walk into the room a lot of rookies would get really quiet. Vesey is a really nervous guy and one time they were shopping for shoes and the shoes Vesey was trying on didn't fit properly but he was too nervous to say anything, the lady was bent over tying them up for him and he got an erection so he put his hand in his pocket to hide it, when the lady looked at him odd for having his hand in his pocket he pulled his wallet out and said I'll take em! Even though they didn't fit at all. When she was packing the shoes up Miller told the lady that they don't fit but he was too nervous to say anything so she went to the back to get a different size, this made Vesey even more embarrassed so he ran out of the store with just his socks on. Left a $900 pair of Saint Laurent Boots there and Miller didn't even bother retrieving them for him.

He'd start playing Mika's songs in the lockerroom and make him feel awkward, he'd make Staal do eye exams with this dumb little sheet with the letters on it that he carries everywhere with him. He'd tell borderline NHL'ers like Carey, Desharnais, Kampfer to beat it and get a real job. That's actually one of the reasons we kept Glass for so long, he was the one borderline NHL'er who stood up to him, he beat the crap out of him last playoffs in a Denny's parking lot (Vesey took a video of it for revenge for the shoe fiasco) and since then Miller's changed his tune but it was too late.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yup, when he'd walk into the room a lot of rookies would get really quiet. Vesey is a really nervous guy and one time they were shopping for shoes and the shoes Vesey was trying on didn't fit properly but he was too nervous to say anything, the lady was bent over tying them up for him and he got an erection so he put his hand in his pocket to hide it, when the lady looked at him odd for having his hand in his pocket he pulled his wallet out and said I'll take em! Even though they didn't fit at all. When she was packing the shoes up Miller told the lady that they don't fit but he was too nervous to say anything so she went to the back to get a different size, this made Vesey even more embarrassed so he ran out of the store with just his socks on. Left a $900 pair of Saint Laurent Boots there and Miller didn't even bother retrieving them for him.

He'd start playing Mika's songs in the lockerroom and make him feel awkward, he'd make Staal do eye exams with this dumb little sheet with the letters on it that he carries everywhere with him. He'd tell borderline NHL'ers like Carey, Desharnais, Kampfer to beat it and get a real job. That's actually one of the reasons we kept Glass for so long, he was the one borderline NHL'er who stood up to him, he beat the crap out of him last playoffs in a Denny's parking lot (Vesey took a video of it for revenge for the shoe fiasco) and since then Miller's changed his tune but it was too late.

Remember that one time he depantsed Kreider and made Fast eat a bug? Then he hit Grabner with some water balloons and honked Hayes’ nose, while singing “Wrecking Ball” off-key?

LMAO, those were the days. I’m really going to miss him.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Frame this post.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
@bernmeister: do your voodoo, my man. For two years you called for a Stepan trade, saying we should get a big return for him instead of a big contract. Nobody believed you, then your voodoo worked. Make us get some first round picks for Names and Spoon.
  • Hertl
  • 3 7th round picks
  • 4 Various Conditional pics,
  • 4 1st round pics in 2018, 2019, 2022, 2011(?)
For
  • Fast
  • The short hobbity fellow (-8% salary)
  • Smith
  • Staal(With weekend rights to his CT digs)
  • 3 8ths
  • 1 2nd
  • 1 Conditional 3rd in 2027

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
MSL is usually with his son who play hockey active, but I`m not updated if he took any coaching education after he retired. It`s an interesting thought indeed, and I`m positive to have him here.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Hey everyone, I have decided to take a risk and do something I'm passionate about, sports writing. The first piece I have done is regarding this rebuild and Jeff's mindset, not sure where would be a good place to post it but if anyone wishes to read it that would be great to get some feedback from you guys.
You should start a blog or something, or look for smaller sports websites that need writers :)

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
You should start a blog or something, or look for smaller sports websites that need writers :)
I tried, but with no writing experience it was hard to find something, so I created my own site to host my content and evolve through that. Put my first piece up today. I would post it here, but I don't know if there are any rules or regulations with me posting it so I wanted to just ask.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Look at the Rangers recent history in free agency. The Rangers didn’t have the highest offer for Richards. Shattenkirk took less term to play for the Rangers.

JVR wants to play here... wonder if he takes a shattenkirk discount

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
What do you guys think of the 3 young kids on D? Gilmour, Pionk and DeAngelo.

I think I'd rank them as:

1. DeAngelo
2. Pionk
3. Gilmour

I know everyone likes Gilmour's wheels, but I don't think he's gonna be any more than a 7th D on a good team. I can see DeAngelo being a good second pairing guy who can run a good PP and Pionk as a solid modern day 3rd pairing guy who can slide up the lineup if needed.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
It’s all fine and great to be unhappy with a team’s coaching. But a real question persists as to what better is out there as an alternative. The Blues are a great recent example. They’d had Hitchcock for several seasons, were unable to do well in the POs despite consistently doing great each regular season. They switched to Yeo, a relative neophyte. One season later, it seem the lockerroom has already tuned him out. Worse record than Hitchcock, unlikely to improve. We can avoid that type of mistake.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I tried, but with no writing experience it was hard to find something, so I created my own site to host my content and evolve through that. Put my first piece up today. I would post it here, but I don't know if there are any rules or regulations with me posting it so I wanted to just ask.
I thought they gave special consideration to users who are content creators (e.g. special color name or something like that).

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Not sure if mentioned, but a Swedish website (Expressen) claims that we offered zucc to Tampa with McDonagh but they wanted Miller instead
Google translation is needed
Tampa Bay jublar över affären med Rangers
I would think that's just speculation. In Yzerman's presser he mentions specifically wanting Miller because he's a bigger body, he's 24 and an RFA, he can play center and that he plays a different style than Namestnikov in the sense that he's more a banger and big body who will add size and grit to their lineup. Zuccarello doesn't have any of those features really so I don't see that being true based on what Yzerman said.

member 116805

I would think that's just speculation. In Yzerman's presser he mentions specifically wanting Miller because he's a bigger body, he's 24 and an RFA, he can play center and that he plays a different style than Namestnikov in the sense that he's more a banger and big body who will add size and grit to their lineup. Zuccarello doesn't have any of those features really so I don't see that being true based on what Yzerman said.
The journalist even writes in the piece that it's speculation..

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not sure if mentioned, but a Swedish website (Expressen) claims that we offered zucc to Tampa with McDonagh but they wanted Miller instead

Google translation is needed

Tampa Bay jublar över affären med Rangers

You can hear how those negotiations went. Gorton: If we are trading McDonagh we want a good young asset back. Yzerman: Nope, it’s not happening, I can take him if you throw in JT Miller too.

Think it makes more sense now, that offer from Tampa for McD and Zucc would have made some sense if we really loved the guys coming back. Are Yzerman resigning Miller? He can probably swing around and trade him at the draft for more than he gave up to get both him and McD...

Reactions: wafflepadsave

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gorton was asked about Yzerman's JT Miller comment by Boomer. Gorton said Yzerman has been interested in Miller for a while and JT needed to be in the deal from TB's point of view. Maybe the Rangers did offer Zuccarello in the TB deal. Yzerman requested JT be in the deal. The Rangers didn't say no.

As Brooks wrote today, Miller wasn't long for this organization. His contract is up after this season. The Rangers didn't want to pay him. He is either one or two years away from group III. Brooks said it's one. He must have gotten that from the Rangers because he wrote about the Rangers being concerned about Miller's off ice habits. It's 7 years accrued or 27. He must have gotten credit for an accrued season in 13-14. It's 40 games on the NHL roster. Next season would be 7 for JT. He would be a group III after 18-19.

Namestnikov is two years away from group III. Michael Kay asked Gorton about Namestnikov yesterday. I am not sure how Gorton views the player. Gorton said he will discuss his contract situation in the summer. Do the Rangers plan on flipping him? Keep?

Hayes is one year away from group III. How do the Rangers view Hayes? He will be 27 on 7/1/19. Group II with arb rights this summer.

On Monday morning.Dreger said the Rangers were talking to teams about both Zuccarello and Miller. There was interest in both players.

Gorton is not done trading away players.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
You can hear how those negotiations went. Gorton: If we are trading McDonagh we want a good young asset back. Yzerman: Nope, it’s not happening, I can take him if you throw in JT Miller too.

Think it makes more sense now, that offer from Tampa for McD and Zucc would have made some sense if we really loved the guys coming back. Are Yzerman resigning Miller? He can probably swing around and trade him at the draft for more than he gave up to get both him and McD...

The other team would need to pay Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad