Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am really interested to see what the new identity of this team will be next season. Who is going to be the new face of this franchise? It's still Henriks team but that page is about to turn. I just don't see anybody right now who is that guy. As far as the team identity I would assume A/V is going to be elsewhere next year but I would love to hear opinions about who people think could potentially replace him.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It’s all fine and great to be unhappy with a team’s coaching. But a real question persists as to what better is out there as an alternative. The Blues are a great recent example. They’d had Hitchcock for several seasons, were unable to do well in the POs despite consistently doing great each regular season. They switched to Yeo, a relative neophyte. One season later, it seem the lockerroom has already tuned him out. Worse record than Hitchcock, unlikely to improve. We can avoid that type of mistake.

I wanted AV gone after last season, but the urgency has gone down now. I think the criticism of his system is overrated, but the criticism of his player deployment is spot on. That said, the team is not in a state where evenly distributed ice time might actually make sense. Until Dahlin gets here at least.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So out of Pionk , Deangelo , Gilmour, O Gara has anyone made a case for being ready ? This D is so thin. I know next years Camp means a lot

Skjei and Shattenkirk only for sure . Kampfer is fine as the 7

Staal may aswell stay based on the lack of experience and well do they not have to give Smith another chance ?

I see why they brought in 3,high prospects D

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think Gilmour, Pionk and ADA stay up next season, joining Skjei and Shattenkirk. Probs Staal. Smith might get a call-up. Lol

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So out of Pionk , Deangelo , Gilmour, O Gara has anyone made a case for being ready ? This D is so thin. I know next years Camp means a lot

Skjei and Shattenkirk only for sure . Kampfer is fine as the 7

Staal may aswell stay based on the lack of experience and well do they not have to give Smith another chance ?

I see why they brought in 3,high prospects D

I mean if they are not ready, they can just bring in a plug for another year like Holden who they could sell off at next year's deadline. Would give them some more time to develop.

I think Staal is back next year and they hope Smith has a come to Jesus moment and gets back in shape. Leaves spots for 1 or 2 kids, which even in a rebuild is really all there should be, 2 rookies in the top 6. They shouldn't be kept around as a #7.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Gorton was asked about Yzerman's JT Miller comment by Boomer. Gorton said Yzerman has been interested in Miller for a while and JT needed to be in the deal from TB's point of view. Maybe the Rangers did offer Zuccarello in the TB deal. Yzerman requested JT be in the deal. The Rangers didn't say no.

As Brooks wrote today, Miller wasn't long for this organization. His contract is up after this season. The Rangers didn't want to pay him. He is either one or two years away from group III. Brooks said it's one. He must have gotten that from the Rangers because he wrote about the Rangers being concerned about Miller's off ice habits. It's 7 years accrued or 27. He must have gotten credit for an accrued season in 13-14. It's 40 games on the NHL roster. Next season would be 7 for JT. He would be a group III after 18-19.

Namestnikov is two years away from group III. Michael Kay asked Gorton about Namestnikov yesterday. I am not sure how Gorton views the player. Gorton said he will discuss his contract situation in the summer. Do the Rangers plan on flipping him? Keep?

Hayes is one year away from group III. How do the Rangers view Hayes? He will be 27 on 7/1/19. Group II with arb rights this summer.

On Monday morning.Dreger said the Rangers were talking to teams about both Zuccarello and Miller. There was interest in both players.

Gorton is not done trading away players.

Zuccarello gonna get the Rangers another top 10 pick in June.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not saying They should have retained but it makes you wonder what the value would have been.

It would have been the same because Tampa didn't need us to retain to get the deal done. If they had, we would have, and we would have gotten more.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not saying They should have retained but it makes you wonder what the value would have been.

But the question is: Does Tampa need salary retention? It basically saves them 2.35m if we retain 50%. Sustr comes off the books this summer. That saves them 1.9m. Kunitz as well, which adds another 2m.

For the final season of McDonagh's contract, they don't need the salary retention

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In terms of 'building a future roster' and anticipating where we are with the prospect cabinet, the big issue looming on the horizon is familiar to us as NYR fans- We have a lot of good middle-6 and 2nd-3rd pair prospects in the pipeline, but no real top pairing or 1st line hopefuls save Chytil.

So we could feasibly be in a situation again where we have lots of good players like Dubi, Cally, Stepan, Staal, Anisimov, ect that fill out the roster with depth, but are in need of trading for other team's disgruntled stars or reaching out in free agency to get 'true' starpower.

Most of the teams that have been the most successful have drafter their first liners and top pairing dmen. Pittsburgh drafted Letang, Crosby, Malkin. They brought in Kessel and Hornqvist as complements. Chicago drafted Kane, Keith, Toews, Schmaltz. LA drafted Doughty and Kopitar. There are not many examples of cup winning teams in recent years who havent had a substantial portion of their top starpower and core being developed from within.

So the question for NYR is how do they get ahold of the much coveted 'blue chippers,' who can handle the true bulk of the load while the rest of the roster becomes well above average role players, instead of having to force role players into star roles like we've done previously with Staal, Dubinsky, ect. We've done well so far but this team really needs to score big with a Tarasenko or an Erik Karlsson type steal in the mid-to-late first round. Either that or win the lottery.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I am really interested to see what the new identity of this team will be next season. Who is going to be the new face of this franchise? It's still Henriks team but that page is about to turn. I just don't see anybody right now who is that guy. As far as the team identity I would assume A/V is going to be elsewhere next year but I would love to hear opinions about who people think could potentially replace him.

Go to the main board for the Rangers. I created a post just yesterday under the tile next possible Rangers coach. My choice would be Sheldon Keefe but there is a lot of good names being thrown around.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In terms of 'building a future roster' and anticipating where we are with the prospect cabinet, the big issue looming on the horizon is familiar to us as NYR fans- We have a lot of good middle-6 and 2nd-3rd pair prospects in the pipeline, but no real top pairing or 1st line hopefuls save Chytil.

So we could feasibly be in a situation again where we have lots of good players like Dubi, Cally, Stepan, Staal, Anisimov, ect that fill out the roster with depth, but are in need of trading for other team's disgruntled stars or reaching out in free agency to get 'true' starpower.

Most of the teams that have been the most successful have drafter their first liners and top pairing dmen. Pittsburgh drafted Letang, Crosby, Malkin. They brought in Kessel and Hornqvist as complements. Chicago drafted Kane, Keith, Toews, Schmaltz. LA drafted Doughty and Kopitar. There are not many examples of cup winning teams in recent years who havent had a substantial portion of their top starpower and core being developed from within.

So the question for NYR is how do they get ahold of the much coveted 'blue chippers,' who can handle the true bulk of the load while the rest of the roster becomes well above average role players, instead of having to force role players into star roles like we've done previously with Staal, Dubinsky, ect. We've done well so far but this team really needs to score big with a Tarasenko or an Erik Karlsson type steal in the mid-to-late first round. Either that or win the lottery.

If it were me and it were on the table, I would trade Zucc at the draft to get a second top-10 pick. Maybe the Blackhawks, Sabres, or Coyotes will want to compete next year.

Reactions: jas

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I'm not a conspiracy type of guy but... Is there really any doubt that Ottawa wins the lottery?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm not a conspiracy type of guy but... Is there really any doubt that Ottawa wins the lottery?

If Ottawa wins the lottery after clearly demonstrating that they have no interest in fielding and paying for a competitive team, it'll be yet another in a long line of events that make me claim that I'll stop following the NHL but not follow through on.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If Ottawa wins the lottery after clearly demonstrating that they have no interest in fielding and paying for a competitive team, it'll be yet another in a long line of events that make me claim that I'll stop following the NHL but not follow through on.
Maybe we win the 2nd or 3rd pick but I do believe it has already been determined that Ottawa gets the #1.

That team is struggling in many ways. Attendance. Ownership. Management. Similar to Pittsburgh in 2004. I wouldn't be surprised if talk of Ottawa moving started soon. It is really bad up there. Give them Dahlin to save the day.

The suckiest of suck things to happen in this draft would be if BOTH of the Islanders picks ended up being lottery picks.

Actually, that is what will happen. Ottawa will get #1 overall to help keep that franchise going a bit longer. Islanders will get picks 2 & 3. Tavares stays on the Island. They stay competitive. Next year Arizona gets Jack Hughes after OEL leaves. The circle of NHL life continues. The Rangers get hosed.

Reactions: wafflepadsave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad