Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A developmental coach still needs to be successful at the NHL level. Unless you want to do the whole Dallas Eakins approach. I think we can spare ourselves that. Coach Q would be fine. The hate for AV is strong on here, but he’s a successful coach. Not too many out there with better records. We also will have vets next season, and the season after that in core positions/roles.
That’s why I want to get Knoblauch ojtnof Philly.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We're really in what is, for Ranger fans, uncharted territory. I've seen it happen with the Rangers maybe 3X: when Francis rebuilt a truly horrid team during the mid-60s and had it emerge as a power in the late 60s; the fairly quick rebuild that occurred after the end of the Francis era under John Ferguson (Duguay, Murdoch, Davidson, et al), and at the start of the most recent era after the long dark ages (Lundqvist, Staal, everyone else; 3 excellent coaches each adding something to the mix).

But what we have to realize is that there is no magic formula here. It is not as simple as "do this, do that, then do this, then do that" and, presto, an elite team! You can do everything right (including getting high draft picks for a few years in a row, have the right developmental coaches in place, etc) and it still may not work. We've seen, all to often, first round picks get hurt or worse. Projecting 18 year olds is not a science, as much as scouts would like it to be. Outside events impinge on players' lives. Personality plays a part (I always remember a photo of Ranger prospects during developmental camp in the year JT Miller was drafted. Maybe they were on the Circle Line or going to the Statue of Liberty, some group bonding activity. Everyone was smiling and happy except for JT, who just looked dour and upset: was this a harbinger of things to come?). Having the right vets around as mentors is important. Obviously the right coach. So many factors, many often out of a team's control.

Things look quite promising right now: Andersson, Chytl, all the guys we've acquired, the ones we are going to draft. But you just never know. We've seen teams with the best intentions fall into losing ruts that last for years and sometimes decades.

But we need to be realistic. We need not to rush the process. This is an exciting time if you are a hard core fan. It is something so many of year have wished for over and over again. It's going to be exciting watching kids come up and process. It is going to be upsetting watching some guys with high upsides wither and not make it. We seem to have the right GM. Coaching remains problematic. It's going to be bumpy. Hey, I'm 70 years old and have Ranger memories going back to 1958 and have been a hard core fan since 1962 but I'm excited to see what the future will bring.
Thanks for writing this all out. I find it really interesting to hear from people who have seen so much more Ranger history than most on here.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Add the highest number of high quality assets that you can. That's the goal. If you have a boatload of LD that's totally fine because teams are always looking for young defensemen. Most of the prospects the Rangers have added since June and will add moving forward until the rebuild ends aren't likely to make the NHL, and the ones that do may not even end up playing for the Rangers.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Lundqvist should be shut down to "save wear and tear on his body" for next season.
Gorton said he’s not going to do that on the radio today. I do bet georgiev gets a bunch more starts than usual though. He’s been good too so it’s not such a blatant tanking move

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So can we get a Kane-like return for Spoon and Names if we trade them? Something along the lines of 1+4 or 2+3?

Reactions: bernmeister

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
5. Rangers fan at 3:30 Monday afternoon: “I’m in for the rebuild.”

Rangers fan at 8:30 Monday night: “Maybe we can sign John Tavares as a free agent and trade two first-rounders plus a couple of younger guys to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson and get this rebuilding process moving more quickly

Hahaha, Larry’s latest article (cant link from my phone). AWESOME dig to some of posters here who were talking about getting EK or JT yesterday :laugh: :laugh:

Love larry!

Edit - https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/breaking-down-why-rangers-chose-to-move-mcdonagh-miller/

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A developmental coach still needs to be successful at the NHL level. Unless you want to do the whole Dallas Eakins approach. I think we can spare ourselves that. Coach Q would be fine. The hate for AV is strong on here, but he’s a successful coach. Not too many out there with better records. We also will have vets next season, and the season after that in core positions/roles.

I think Eakins got dealt a pretty shitty hand to be honest.

Even if the next coach isn't the guy to lead this team when they're ready to contend, I'd much rather have a guy who is going to have the patience to deal with young players then someone who is more suited for a veteran team. Something tells me that if Q is let go this isn't a situation he would want to walk into. Chicago was still pretty young when he took over, but they already had their core pieces in place.

That team in Brooklyn, however, is tailor made for him if the Isles fired Weight at the end of this season. I hope it doesn't happen.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
So can we get a Kane-like return for Spoon and Names if we trade them? Something along the lines of 1+4 or 2+3?
no to both
Kane had a 30g and 3 20g years and is a power forward when he feels like it.. Names has the one 20 this year. Spooner is just another youngish softish middle 6 guy who doesn't really score goals. league isn't hurting for that.

would prob get a 2nd and a prospect for names and a 3rd for spooner.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
From the Brooks article:

"1. Left unsaid in the decision to trade Ryan McDonagh to Tampa Bay on Monday is management’s belief the Blueshirts were/are in need of a more inspirational and perhaps even confrontational personality as team captain. No one would dare dispute McDonagh’s character, commitment, toughness or work ethic. The man played the final three games of the 2015 conference finals on a broken ankle, for goodness sakes. He was a lead-by-example guy since getting the “C” at the start of 2104-15. But with Alain Vigneault, a coach who believes in leaving the locker room to his player leadership core, there was a sense that the club needed a captain who would get in his teammates’ faces when necessary and that McDonagh was not that kind of leader."

So why not, I don't know, look for a coach who had a different demeanor than AV? Especially after losing to Ottawa like they did, they would have had more than enough reason to do so.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
@EdJovanovski

Returns aside how excited and what was your reaction when you heard Miller was traded. Inquiring minds want to know.
I got the notification on my phone that McDonagh was going to Tampa, then another one saying so is Miller and was absolutely ecstatic. Assumed Sergachev was coming the other way, so I was initially disappointed with the return. But I feel it was a decent haul for McDonagh and Namestnikov is a massive upgrade over the Bozo. Word is that Miller threw a temper tantrum when he heard the news, started punching holes in the wall, and roaring like a bear. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go on a 10 game win streak now that he’s gone, the guys in the lockerroom are very happy they don’t have to deal with him anymore. Especially Buchnevich, Miller would pressure him into eating onion rings all the time, literally every morning skate once Buch saw Miller pull out the bag of onion rings he’d start walking the other way. Buch didn’t get along with him at all but was too intimidated to say anything

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I got the notification on my phone that McDonagh was going to Tampa, then another one saying so is Miller and was absolutely ecstatic. Assumed Sergachev was coming the other way, so I was initially disappointed with the return. But I feel it was a decent haul for McDonagh and Namestnikov is a massive upgrade over the Bozo. Word is that Miller threw a temper tantrum when he heard the news, started punching holes in the wall, and roaring like a bear. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go on a 10 game win streak now that he’s gone, the guys in the lockerroom are very happy they don’t have to deal with him anymore. Especially Buchnevich, Miller would pressure him into eating onion rings all the time, literally every morning skate once Buch saw Miller pull out the bag of onion rings he’d start walking the other way. Buch didn’t get along with him at all but was too intimidated to say anything

what did I just read
did you have a stroke? did you mean for those words to come after one another like that?

that can't be real

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Drinking already?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
If you're keeping Lundqvist around, how low in the standings do you expect to get in a given season... I'm coming to accept that a Zucc trade is inevitable. But it's maddening to hear speculation growing about Kreider while we can expect to keep Staal through the remainder of his contract...

Good on Gorton to make a clean break, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Buffalo was on a nice run like ours not long before what they are now.

Reactions: belford222

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
From the Brooks article:

"1. Left unsaid in the decision to trade Ryan McDonagh to Tampa Bay on Monday is management’s belief the Blueshirts were/are in need of a more inspirational and perhaps even confrontational personality as team captain. No one would dare dispute McDonagh’s character, commitment, toughness or work ethic. The man played the final three games of the 2015 conference finals on a broken ankle, for goodness sakes. He was a lead-by-example guy since getting the “C” at the start of 2104-15. But with Alain Vigneault, a coach who believes in leaving the locker room to his player leadership core, there was a sense that the club needed a captain who would get in his teammates’ faces when necessary and that McDonagh was not that kind of leader."

So why not, I don't know, look for a coach who had a different demeanor than AV? Especially after losing to Ottawa like they did, they would have had more than enough reason to do so.

Perhaps, but they did JUST extend the guy.

Much easier to justify letting him go after this season and the direction they want to go in. Thought MSL being brought in as an assistant was an interesting little nugget.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

OH MY GOD! NOT ONION RINGS!!!

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I really enjoyed this

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think this was phase 2 of the 're-tool'. You cannot have wasted salary in the 'cap-era'.. Nash was suppose to be 'the-guy'. He took up 7.8M$ of the cap. He was a solid middle 6 player. We spent way too much money on the 'Torts-era' players. Plainly, these guys were just not good enough for their salary... And they're finally all gone. ( Mostly )

It's sad to say but this generation of the Rangers will actually be the better served once HL30 retires or is gone. I'm confident Shestyerkin will fill-in admirably, while costing no where near 8.5M$. At one point, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Lundqvist and Nash cost nearly 35M$. Almost half the cap with those players... You cannot win with that type of spending. There's no value there..

From here on out, I'd rather Gorts get rid of players a YEAR TOO EARLY than a CONTRACT TOO LATE.

I also don't think we'll be as bad as most people think. The 'new era' should truly begin in the 2019-2020 season.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
@bernmeister: do your voodoo, my man. For two years you called for a Stepan trade, saying we should get a big return for him instead of a big contract. Nobody believed you, then your voodoo worked. Make us get some first round picks for Names and Spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad