Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I would not be surprised if he gets somewhere between 3-3.5M.

I would agree in the 3-3.2 range, at most. I still do not think it is a bad deal, especially if the Rangers only have Panarin and Zibanejad as the veteran forwards.

Reactions: Ori

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Didn't the Rangers select Lundkvist with that TB 1st? That would seem to be something worth weighing into the deal?
Plus it was entirely reasonable to think they'd win a Cup one of those two years.

I think it's fair to say we lost the trade, but I don't love Howden and it's hard to ignore how easy they were able to flip JTM. But we absolutely killed it in the Habs McDonagh + Ottawa Zibanejad trades, you win some and you lose some, and we didn't lose this one as bad as we won the others.

Reactions: Crease and bl02

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Lol I don’t understand at all?

Do you mean that we dealt Howden, Hajak and in principle 2nd round pick (what 28-29 overall at the lowest) for McDonagh and Miller and that Namestnikov was just a throw in?

Stop being childish and taking up my time.

no I'm saying that we traded McDonagh and Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, a 1st and conditional 2nd. ie the trade that actually happened in real life

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Some team is going to give Fast a contract with 3 or 4 years this summer, and I hope it's not us.

*Vancouver Canucks peek around the corner*

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Uncle Larry feels Fast deserves a new contract https://nypost.com/2019/10/21/rangers-glue-guy-jesper-fast-deserves-contract-extension/

he might price himself out of his roll...but at the right price, can't argue at all. would love to keep him around as a vet.
Fast is one of my favorite players, and I would love to see him extended at a team friendly number for up to three years. That being said, I think his visit to the top line is a reflection of two things: Fast has all the qualities listed in that Brooks article, and I think he complements any line he's on. The other thing is that he's a pending UFA and there's no better way to boost his return than to play him up and give him every opportunity to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@SA16 @kovazub94 Obviously Fast’s cap hit will not be the same, humor me, what astronomical numbers are you fellas looking at if and when Fast goes to UFA? He will not double his cap hit like JT Miller.

Maybe not JTM’s contract but two years past and you saw what Hays and Zuke got so crazy $$ are not out of question. Would not be surprised with over $3.5 per.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Maybe not JTM’s contract but two years past and you saw what Hays and Zuke got so crazy $$ are not out of question. Would not be surprised with over $3.5 per.

Hayes was absolutely stellar in a Rangers sweater ever since the trade deadline 1.5 years ago, stellar. Zuccarello is also more of an impact player than Fast. I did not think he would taper off like he has in Minnesota but Minnesota has been way too old for way too long.

Maybe some team does decide to open up the wallet for Fast. I would not understand it but it is certainly possible.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would not be surprised if he gets somewhere between 3-3.5M.

I didn’t read your post until after I wrote mine so had no idea your high range was the same I also mentioned, lol. Your number is obviously more realistic but $3.7-3.8 are not much different.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hayes was absolutely stellar in a Rangers sweater ever since the trade deadline 1.5 years ago, stellar. Zuccarello is also more of an impact player than Fast. I did not think he would taper off like he has in Minnesota but Minnesota has been way too old for way too long.

Maybe some team does decide to open up the wallet for Fast. I would not understand it but it is certainly possible.

Of course but that’s why I’m not suggesting $7m or over $5m, but Fast’s role in the context of UFA could be expensive.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I would agree in the 3-3.2 range, at most. I still do not think it is a bad deal, especially if the Rangers only have Panarin and Zibanejad as the veteran forwards.
He might get that from another team that sees him as a Top 9 guy. But as I think he's more of a Bottom 6 guy (I know that's a bit of an odd distinction to draw) I would think 2-2.5 is a good deal. I think the latter is on the taker from the Rangers with adjustment depending on duration. And I think he could also get a bit more (both salary and responsibility) from another team if he wants it.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
kypreos was acquired during the 93-94 season so he wouldn't have been on the rangers in the 93 game

Good call. So it is Kris King. I had the right game but was confused on when we got rid of King and acquired Kypreos.

Reactions: Leetch3

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I can see some team being stupid and overpay at 3 or 4 mil per. The average 4th liner does get overpaid as an UFA during the summer. It better not be the Rangers. I'd pay him no more than 2.5 and no more than 2 years. Replaceable by a younger complete player Andersson should replace Fast in my opinion. Raising Fast's trade value by giving him 1st line minutes with Mika and Panarin. Think about it and the timing. Why wait until the deadline, he is healthy now. He is breaking down as well.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
This will not end well for 76.
This will not end well for 89.
This will not end well for 16.

I am on board for selling all of the aforementioned for 70 cents on the dollar. Futures? Fine.

sounding off on 76 - We have young depth on the back line. Moving on from Skjei is an upgrade, but they won’t do it given the spoon-fed bromance the organization gave him with Trouba. Legit doing everything they can to hide 76 ineptitude as a D. Keep the marketing campaign going. Nothing against Skjei, he’s a fine athlete and I would enjoy playing college intramural football with him. He’s not an NHL top 4.

If I never see Buchnevich’s sour expression again, it would be too soon. There’s talent here but I’m over it. The positives do not outweigh the negatives. Addition by subtraction.

Reactions: NY Lito and jas

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I would go 2-3 yrs at 2.5-2.75 max... would love to keep him but anything more then that is just too much imo.

Won't get much love but that's really as high as you can go. It turns into a big mistake anywhere after that.

You don't often see 3B/4A guys stick with the same franchise into UFA age often- and for a reason. The players are smart, they're never going to get a 50 million dollar contract. The difference between a 12 million dollar deal and an 8 million one is really big for these guys. You've got a lot of take-home taxes and estate taxes in Scandanavian countries to consider too. The point is that Fast has no reason to not take the best deal offered him- and the best deal offered is not likely to be that of the Rangers. It's likely to be a team in a good position with good value top 6 contracts on hand who need a more proven defensive forward.

I hope they keep Fast for some small reasons, but not if it means overpaying. It's simply not the area of the lineup that a team still in rebuild mode can overpay for.

Reactions: lucky13

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I can definitely see some team give Fast 16 mil 4 Mil per cap hit type of deal. He is type of player that would get overpaid especially by a desperate team over the summer

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011

The cap hit does not scare me, but his term might. Would prefere a 2 - year deal, could at most do a 3-year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad