Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Howden's problem isn't his offense. It's that his defensive game is a disaster for someone who is supposed to be a two way player and kill penalties.

At this point in his career, yes, he is developing. He has proven to be that complete player at other levels consistently. Wouldn't we assume a young, 21 year old center may struggle slightly?

Most posts throughout this board make it seem like Howden is a 32 year who is done developing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Jonathan Ericsson has been waived by Detroit. They will be burying him or releasing him to play elsewhere.

(1) year left @ $4.25m

Could the Rangers do the same with Staal?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
At this point in his career, yes, he is developing. He has proven to be that complete player at other levels consistently. Wouldn't we assume a young, 21 year old center may struggle slightly?

Most posts throughout this board make it seem like Howden is a 32 year who is done developing.

I think there is a difference between struggling slightly and being potentially the worst defensive forward in the league last year.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I think we (or at least myself) are frustrated at watching a guy who looks like he needs AHL time just as much if not more than someone like Chytil or Kravtsov or whoever but that the coaches for whatever reason have decided needs to just play in the NHL and look lost and ineffective.

Right now he doesn't have a clue what to do with the puck when he gets it on his stick and he doesn't win battles for it and he doesn't forecheck well. He could use some AHL time if he keeps this up or at the very least not to be "rewarded" with 2nd line center duties. He can't handle that right now stop pushing him to be something he's not at the moment.

If he's "just 21 and could get better" let's put him in a position to succeed and not fail

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think we (or at least myself) are frustrated at watching a guy who looks like he needs AHL time just as much if not more than someone like Chytil or Kravtsov or whoever but that the coaches for whatever reason have decided needs to just play in the NHL and look lost and ineffective.

Right now he doesn't have a clue what to do with the puck when he gets it on his stick and he doesn't win battles for it and he doesn't forecheck well. He could use some AHL time if he keeps this up or at the very least not to be "rewarded" with 2nd line center duties. He can't handle that right now stop pushing him to be something he's not at the moment.

If he's "just 21 and could get better" let's put him in a position to succeed and not fail

THIS MAKES A TON OF SENSE.

However you know the posts I'm referring to who take this to 'well he sucks'

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I like the idea of Fast with those guys but he is another right handed guy on that line, that's tough to get Panarin the puck that way. I would have rathered they left Strome and Fast together as they looked like they had something going. The good thing is that it spreads the scoring around but I've pretty much saw enough of that second line to know those players dont necessarily compliment each other. I still believe Kakko needs a fore checker to get things going for him.

I'd have rathered
Panarin Zibanajad Kreider
Fast Strome Kakko
Lemieux Howden Buch
Smith Andersson Mckegg
Panarin is a passer. Zib and Fast are the shooters.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Jonathan Ericsson has been waived by Detroit. They will be burying him or releasing him to play elsewhere.

(1) year left @ $4.25m

They can't release him to play elsewhere. They'll be burying him.

Also, Staal has a NMC.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
ignoring whether or not he's a first line player...if fast is a model teammate that never takes a day off like quinn says, then why on a rebuilding team put him with panarin and zibanejad? that makes him sound like the perfect vet to strap to one of the kids and let him rub off on them. and teach them.

Reactions: kovazub94

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Brett Howden is 21 years old. I'll reiterate, if he was in the AHL (where he should be) and putting up .6-.8 ppg or better, would people be less concerned? The bashing of him has gotten to cult level status here

hes literally done nothing and yet he is spoon fed minutes averaging @ 16 mins per game.

lets play

since 1/2/18 till now that's 35 NHL games played his slash line is :

3/7/10 -18

projected over an 82 game season.

hurts to think about.

and hes our 2C ? hes shown neither a knack for scoring nor for preventing scoring.

again, its about roles and proper slotting of players. those numbers above tell me hes a 3/4C and thats it and even that requires defensive acumen that he really hasn't shown.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ignoring whether or not he's a first line player...if fast is a model teammate that never takes a day off like quinn says, then why on a rebuilding team put him with panarin and zibanejad? that makes him sound like the perfect vet to strap to one of the kids and let him rub off on them. and teach them.

first line players are more than just hustle and heart and motors. and i love fast. hes one of the most underrated guys in this team.

having said that, his skill level is that of a 3rd line player ( and thats fine) and expecting him to produce like a 1st line winger is setting him up for a fiery crash.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
How many players have to switch between that 1RW spot before Quinn finally realizes Panarin and Zibanejad together makes no sense?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
How many players have to switch between that 1RW spot before Quinn finally realizes Panarin and Zibanejad together makes no sense?

I think they are together to avoid rushing kids to the top line...when chytil is back in ny and they feel that kakko is ready to take the next step you'll probably see them split up to create balance on the top 2 lines. not sure when it will happen but would bet that its what we see in the 2nd half of the year.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
first line players are more than just hustle and heart and motors. and i love fast. hes one of the most underrated guys in this team.

having said that, his skill level is that of a 3rd line player ( and thats fine) and expecting him to produce like a 1st line winger is setting him up for a fiery crash.
I don’t think anyone expected Sundstrom to play like Gretzky when they lined up together. Sundstrom did the dirty work for the line, won battles and got the puck to the skill players.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I dunno I feel like fast on that line doesn't hurt us that much. Mika and panarin are so dominate at this point fast won't hurt them.

Also I finally heard a valid argument to keeping kakko on the 2nd and it's that maybe the goal is to develop him beyond being a passenger on a line like that, that they want him to develop the type of game to dominate on his own.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Something to note with Chytil- last season he had a team-worst +\-, -22. This season, he’s leading the Pack with a +8. Maybe he’s down not only to get used to playing C, but also to work on his defensive game.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Something to note with Chytil- last season he had a team-worst +\-, -22. This season, he’s leading the Pack with a +8. Maybe he’s down not only to get used to playing C, but also to work on his defensive game.

learning the defensive game as a C is 100% why he is down there...which is why his offense is nice to see but really isn't what matters in determining he is ready

Deleted member 23124

Does anyone know how many games at C he actually played last year....I could be wrong, but I feel he played at lot more wing than C.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Does anyone know how many games at C he actually played last year....I could be wrong, but I feel he played at lot more wing than C.

I don't know the exact count but I feel like his games at C were way closer to 0 than being the majority of his games.

Reactions: zephyr

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

pretty sure the word was his play away from the puck was weak.

trust from a coach is built upon what a young player does without the puck just as much as with it.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny

I think that Fast had a great game on Sunday and produced as well. He doesn't have the skills as you said, but results do matter. Quinn may also want to "prove" to the rest of the team that when you play a great game, you will get rewarded and is using Fast as an example for the rest of the team to follow.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fast played 276 5v5 minutes with Zibanejad last year. Zibanejad was his most common F teammate by minutes.

Frankly the whole roster could take a page from Fast’s book: forecheck pressure, and K.I.S.S. They don’t have to the talent to do otherwise, and the frustrations with losing are causing them to try to do too much and complicate things.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

(1) year left @ $4.25m

NMC for Staal prohibits us from sending him down. Contract termination outside the buy out window can only be done if it's a mutual agreement

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Staal's NMC is not preventing us from sending him down...the rangers having zero interest in sending him down is preventing them from sending him down.

Reactions: Berserk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad