Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Everyone is talking about the lottery being rigged against the Rangers

Meanwhile in reality, Dolan already cut a check to Bettman for Hughes, just as Toronto did for Matthews

Now it’s just the waiting game

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Everyone is talking about the lottery being rigged against the Rangers

Meanwhile in reality, Dolan already cut a check to Bettman for Hughes, just as Toronto did for Matthews

Now it’s just the waiting game

Very few are talking about the lottery being rigged against the Rangers. It's all about the Rangers luck. Jean Ratelle's ankle is calling. Although even in 1972 the bad luck of the organization was already old hat. Check out this quote from the NY Times archive:

The almost‐diabolical late‐season injury jinx that has hounded the Rangers through good times and bad struck again last night when the New Yorkers lost Jean Ratelle, the greatest scorer in the team's history, for the remainder of the regular National Hockey League season.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Very few are talking about the lottery being rigged against the Rangers. It's all about the Rangers luck. Jean Ratelle's ankle is calling. Although even in 1972 the bad luck of the organization was already old hat. Check out this quote from the NY Times archive:

It’s so sad that we all have to know for sure. #4 here we come. This is what we should all be talking about, who will be available at 4.

:laugh::thumbd::help:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Watch us get on a hot streak and end up with the 6th OA :laugh:

Hey, I still think that we have a team that hasn't found any cohesion yet and has players underperforming, so we could still end up there. It's rare that a team at it's worst remains at it's worst for a whole season. It happened to Colorado 2 years ago, but it's not common.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Hey, I still think that we have a team that hasn't found any cohesion yet and has players underperforming, so we could still end up there. It's rare that a team at it's worst remains at it's worst for a whole season. It happened to Colorado 2 years ago, but it's not common.
While true, I think the Rangers are going to end up selling a larger portion of the good stuff on the team than other bottom dwellers

Reactions: NY Lito

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
i'm not sure you can even say its unlucky. aside from the crosby draft when everyone had the same shot at the top pick and last year when we were an extreme long shot, how many times have we even had a shot at the top pick?

its like saying that you didn't win the powerball cause its rigged and you have bad luck when really you didn't even buy a ticket.

I was thinking less

“I cant believe we lost powerball! The Rangers are cursed.”

and more

“I cant believe we lost our captain and best player because he was able to opt out of 2 years of a team friendly contract because Jonathan ****ing Cheechoo somehow scored 56 goals in a season... oh wait our top prospect just died in his arms. The Rangers are cursed.”

Something along those lines.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Total pipe dream but imagine Hughes Nylander and Panarin on this team next year?

I’d have to call a doctor because this is lasting longer than 4 hours.

I mean.. wouldn’t we have the cash if we move the guys we’re seemingly going to move ?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Total pipe dream but imagine Hughes Nylander and Panarin on this team next year?

I’d have to call a doctor because this is lasting longer than 4 hours.
Who's playing defense? Still lots of work to do to shore up the defense even if that happens.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
i'm not sure you can even say its unlucky. aside from the crosby draft when everyone had the same shot at the top pick and last year when we were an extreme long shot, how many times have we even had a shot at the top pick?

its like saying that you didn't win the powerball cause its rigged and you have bad luck when really you didn't even buy a ticket.
That's not entirely true that everyone had the same shot. Everyone had a shot but 4 teams had 4 balls in the hopper. Us, Pittsburgh and 2 others. Pitt got the prize and we somehow drop to 16th. The best odds in the draft and we fell to the bottom half.
--------
The returns on our tradable players will be close to what an average fan can guess. We agonized on the return for Nash and Grabner for so long. The trades were so cliche in hindsight. It's all reputation with a smidge of recency.

Zucc will get a late 1st. Hayes will get another enigmatic player in return. We'll add 5 or 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, 2 or 3 mid level prospects. The question is with Zibanijed and Kreider, etc.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Unless the trading team is sending back cap hit, I don't think there will be many offers for the Rangers players.

Usually those looking to contend are somewhat near to the cap already. If they are looking to rent they will likely wait until the cap hit of the rental is more prorated. Plus without knowing for sure playoffs or not they could be giving up a lottery pick, so they'd want protection.

Even if a team is looking to extend the traded for, I think they have to wait until Jan 1st to do so.

I guess an injury could play a part, but even then most teams just suck it up or make some small trade for depth.

I would think the deadline is when the movement will take place, maybe a couple days/weeks before.

If the Rangers are already looking to sell I think they'd be better off just finding some way to motivate those they want to sell. Take away the youngest rookies competition for playing time, tell the to be sold players they are playing for their next contracts one way or another and this is their opportunity to cash in on it or not.
Cap space and salary retention are tools that Gorton has available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad