Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Lundqvist is legitimately making himself tradable with his play this season. Something to seriously consider, hopefully.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Has it occurred to anyone else that Zibanejad with his contract and Winnipeg with their roster status/difficulty attracting non-western-Canadian boys could be a match made in heaven?

I’m not necessarily advocating trading him, because I’m a big fan and he could still be in his prime on the other side of a rebuild, and of course we all know Chevy’s reputation, but all options are on the table and theoretically he should have enormous value to them...

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
While the prevailing wisdom is that Ranger luck would doom any draft lottery hopes, I can tell you the league, while it would never admit it, would love to see Hughes in New York. One of my contacts told me the league was not happy that McDavid landed in Edmonton.

Unfortunately what the league wants does not affect the odds in a lottery.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Quinn, who scratched Pavel Buchnevich for the second time in seven games, again presented remade lines. A moment of truth is probably nearing for Filip Chytil (and general manager Jeff Gorton), with No. 72 nailed to the bench following his second shift of the third period that ended with 14:05 to go. Chytil played a season-low 8:53 centering fourth-line wingers Cody McLeod and Vinni Lettieri. Upon returning home, management will have to decide whether this is the best place for the 19-year-old Chytil to develop.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/31/rangers-nip-sharks-in-shootout-for-first-road-win-of-season/

Gorton needs to have a talk with Quinn.

What's the plan here?

The young guys have a short leash. Buchnevich wasn't bad enough to be benched last night.

Kreider and Spooner stick checked in the neutral zone allowing Martinez to beat Lundqvist from the parking lot.

Chytil had some jump last night and he has benched.

The veteran players never lose their ice time after making numerous mistakes.

The Rangers are supposedly rebuilding and they don't have visible roles for Andersson and Chytil. Their two top prospects have contributed nothing in the first 12 games of the season.

It doesn't look like they will have the opportunity with Hayes getting 22 minutes of ice time.

Watching Hayes miss open players with bad passes, miss the net with his shot, turn the puck over and struggle to get up and down the ice is priceless.

Gorton said Chytil was not going to the AHL before they went on the road trip.

Chytil is not going to develop playing on the 4th line less than 10 minutes per game. Flipping him back and forth between wing and center is not the answer.

Is Quinn on the same page as management?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
https://nypost.com/2018/10/31/rangers-nip-sharks-in-shootout-for-first-road-win-of-season/

What's the plan here?

The young guys have a short leash. Buchnevich wasn't bad enough to be benched last night.

Kreider and Spooner stick checked in the neutral zone allowing Martinez to beat Lundqvist from the parking lot.

The Rangers are supposedly rebuilding and they don't have visible roles for Andersson and Chytil. Their two top prospects have contributed nothing in the first 12 games of the season.

It doesn't look like they will have the opportunity with Hayes getting 22 minutes of ice time.

Watching Hayes miss open players with bad passes, miss the net with his shot, turn the puck over and struggle to get up and down the ice is priceless.

Chytil is not going to develop playing on the 4th line less than 10 minutes per game. Flipping him back and forth between wing and center is not the answer.

Would you be ok if Quinn benched Zuccarello and Hayes? If their value tanked because of the deployment, wouldn't you ask if Quinn was in the same page as management?

Maybe Quinn and Gorton do talk. Gorton wouldn't be the first GM to do something different than what he claimed when he ultimately sends Chytil down. Maybe Quinn is completely incompetent too, delusional about winning a cup with this group. But its October and maybe it's too early to jump to some of these conclusions.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Maybe, just maybe, the vets are getting consistent ice time because they’re in the shop window. Crazy, I know. Hard to be for sale when you’re not on display.

People are freaking out after a dozen games. Kids are fine, Quinn/Gorton aren’t incompetent.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Maybe, just maybe, the vets are getting consistent ice time because they’re in the shop window. Crazy, I know. Hard to be for sale when you’re not on display.

People are freaking out after a dozen games. Kids are fine, Quinn/Gorton aren’t incompetent.
And to be clear, I'm not happy about Chytil getting under 10 on the 4th. It's something I've been following since his drop in the lineup up started. The first time he was put on the 4th I said it would be something to watch.

I also don't think anything a coach or GM says is etched in stone. Chytil will go down if and when that is the best thing for him. Maybe it clicks and he starts earning a prominent spot. But this 4th line stuff will not continue forever.

I want the turnover to keep going. It'll stock up our futures and open up spots for the youth. One hand washed the other.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Chytil should be sent down like I said a week and a half ago

Quinn isn’t playing him, so call up someone like Holland and let them play the 8 mins a night.

Hartford is gonna be terrible this year as well, but at least Chytil will play 20 mins a game

Reactions: I Eat Crow

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Chytil should have been sent down to start the year. Or at least prior to the 10 game mark to at least save the option of sliding his first ELC year, now that year is burned. If his play warranted him coming up again later so be it, but at least we would have saved the option to slide the ELC.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
While the prevailing wisdom is that Ranger luck would doom any draft lottery hopes, I can tell you the league, while it would never admit it, would love to see Hughes in New York. One of my contacts told me the league was not happy that McDavid landed in Edmonton.

I’ve always chuckled at the half-joking claims that the league hates the Rangers and doesn’t want them to succeed.

Frankly, the Rangers remain one of the biggest draws in the league. A successful Rangers team is a winning proposition for the league and not just in the NY market. Even on road games, they make a perfect villain for other teams and that equals interest and money.

While the league isn’t going to do the Rangers any favors, they’re not out to get them either.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Chytil should have been sent down to start the year. Or at least prior to the 10 game mark to at least save the option of sliding his first ELC year, now that year is burned. If his play warranted him coming up again later so be it, but at least we would have saved the option to slide the ELC.

While I agree that is what they should have done, at this point they should probably be more concerned with how he is devloping.

From there the next threshold is game/days on roster, if he is on the NHL roster for 40 or more game/days he accrues a season towards UFA status and will likely gain that UFA status at age 26 instead of 27.

There is a theory that doing so may allow for those UFA years to be cheaper yet it almost never works out like that, players kind of are who they are at age 25-26.

If the Rangers want to bridge him after his entry level it takes an option year off the bridge, could turn out to be only one arbitration eligible RFA cycle instead of two.

If they want to sign him long term off his entry level they are buying up one extra UFA year they otherwise would not have had to.

Other than the DeAngelo thing it's kind of the other thing I have no idea why they are so adamant about.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
While I agree that is what they should have done, at this point they should probably be more concerned with how he is devloping.

From there the next threshold is game/days on roster, if he is on the NHL roster for 40 or more game/days he accrues a season towards UFA status and will likely gain that UFA status at age 26 instead of 27.

There is a theory that doing so may allow for those UFA years to be cheaper yet it almost never works out like that, players kind of are who they are at age 25-26.

If the Rangers want to bridge him after his entry level it takes an option year off the bridge, could turn out to be only one arbitration eligible RFA cycle instead of two.

If they want to sign him long term off his entry level they are buying up one extra UFA year they otherwise would not have had to.

Other than the DeAngelo thing it's kind of the other thing I have no idea why they are so adamant about.

That's what Pittsburgh did with Sprong. They didn't play him, but had him on the team for more than 40 games.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
quinn trying to get buch and ada to put forth consistent effort and be better players is 100% in line with the organizations plans. his job isn't to just play guys based on their DOB and let whatever happens happen.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I think Quinn is looking for wins first and foremost because that's what sports is about. And he feels he'll be judged on those wins.
Yes, and that is why Gorton should force his hand by trading Hayes, Zucc, Namestnikov, Spooner, McQuaid, Claesson as soon as we get a fair proposal.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

What's the plan here?

Spot on. I've had the same concerns about this coach. You could have stuck with AV, at this point.

Benching a few games in and constantly changing lines? Gimme a break. He's operating like he's 2-3 years into a rebuild with a team loaded with young talent.

I wouldn't be surprised if lundqvist and his win every game mentality isn't affecting Quinn. ..

Hayes is a bum. Gorton is going to wind up trading everyone... it's what's needed

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

What's the plan here?

Quinn is managing the club like it's business as usual and they are battling for a playoff spot. That's not reality right now. I find it hard to believe he and Gorton haven't had numerous conversations about what this year is and what they expectations are -- none of which likely involve stapling the possible next generation of contributing Rangers to the bench for long stretches. It seems about time for Gorton to get stronger with that message. No better time than now to see what the Rangers actually have with these young players.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I know it takes two teams to make a trade and GMs aren’t going to be as desperate now as they are at the deadline but if gorts wants to nip this shit in the bud then he needs to start trading vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad