Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIII: Have no fear, the TDL is near (Mod Post page 233, #5809 - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's an ugly list outside of a few top names.

Good year to avoid the Free Agent market.

I'd kick the tires on JvR. I'd bring back Nash. I don't think Grabner's ask is going to be reasonable, he should be looking to cash in on these two seasons he's had, so I expect him to be overpaid somewhere else.

Oh, and JT, obviously, but I don't think he makes it to July 1.

Honestly the best thing the Rangers could do for themselves is to scout the Olympics.

Dust off your number 97 jersey.

Don't lie. We know you have one.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
It's an ugly list outside of a few top names.

Good year to avoid the Free Agent market.

I'd kick the tires on JvR. I'd bring back Nash. I don't think Grabner's ask is going to be reasonable, he should be looking to cash in on these two seasons he's had, so I expect him to be overpaid somewhere else.

Oh, and JT, obviously, but I don't think he makes it to July 1.

Honestly the best thing the Rangers could do for themselves is to scout the Olympics.

I think the point is that we should look at some of those uglier names, not the glitzy ones at the top. A couple of years ago, Grabner was an ugly name. We should be looking for cheap, depth vets who will sign 1-2 year deals and can be moved at the deadline for maybe a 3rd if a youth becomes ready and takes over their roster spot. Or more, if we luck out and said player has a Grabner-like resurgence and ups his value. We shouldn’t be looking to bring in any kind of significant UFAs. Just vet stop gaps.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Trade deadline changes: Nash for a 1st, Grabner for a 1st, Holden for a 2nd

Off-season changes:

Rangers draft Dahlin 1OA
Rangers trade Staal and a 1st for cash considerations, dumping his contract.
Zucc goes for a 1st and good prospect, getting rid of his contract.
Tavares signed to 8 year 10 million per year deal.
Kovalchuk signed to 3 year 4 million per year deal.
McDonagh re-signed to 6 year 7 million per year deal.
Rangers reach 5 year 4.5 million per year deal with Miller.
Rangers reach 5 year 4 million per year deal with Hayes.
Bridge deal for Skjei, lets say 2.75 million per year.
Vesey takes league minimum on his deal, otherwise he can play elsewhere, and he's replaced.

That leaves us with this, along with an extra two firsts, an extra second and a good prospect coming back.

Kovalchuk(4)-Tavares(10)-Chytil(.925)
Kreider(4.625)-Zibanejad(5.35)-Buchnevich(.925)
Miller(4.5)-Hayes(4)-Andersson(.925)
Vesey(.925)-Nieves(.925)-Fast(1.85)
Lettieri(.925)

McDonagh(7)-Dahlin(.925)
Skjei(2.75)-Shattenkirk(6.65)
Smith(4.35)-Graves(.925)
DeAngelo(.925)

Lundqvist(8.5)
Georgiyev(.925)

Total Team Salary: 72.825
Buyout money owed: 3.61M
Cap space: 3.565
Projected Cap: 80M

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Grabner is probably the best or one of the best bang for the buck/ under the radar signings we've had in the last 13 or so years.

(Gaborik was a big signing with big expectations).

Maybe along with Nylander or Straka? Rozy?

Definitely. Now he is likely to get paid. I doubt we’ll be able to replicate that luck again this off season but that’s the type of signing we should be aiming for. Bang for our buck, might up his value and become a TDL asset, otherwise he’s cheap vet depth for 1-2 years.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

Off-season changes:

Rangers draft Dahlin 1OA
Vesey takes league minimum on his deal, otherwise he can play elsewhere, and he's replaced.

That leaves us with this, along with an extra two firsts, an extra second and a good prospect coming back.

Lettieri(.925)

McDonagh(7)-Dahlin(.925)
Smith(4.35)-Graves(.925)
DeAngelo(.925)

Lundqvist(8.5)
Georgiyev(.925)

Winning the Dahlin sweepstakes is more likely than Tavares signing here.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Definitely. Now he is likely to get paid. I doubt we’ll be able to replicate that luck again this off season but that’s the type of signing we should be aiming for. Bang for our buck, might up his value and become a TDL asset, otherwise he’s cheap vet depth for 1-2 years.

Well sure, but the vast majority of those signings turn out like Taylor Pyatt, Alex Frolov, even a guy like Desharnais is way above expectation right now. More DD guys? I applaud your patience and foresight :D

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Its not a waste at all.

We should have plenty of cap space freed up, given the likely trades that are coming. Also, there's been talk of resigning Nash, resigning Grabner, why wouldn't we want to add a better player who likely can be had for less years? We don't have good enough forwards to get rid of Zuccarello, Nash, Grabner, and not replace them. Who do you want taking their spots? Lettieri? Vesey? These players are lucky if they can stick in the NHL, they certainly are not replacing top 6 forwards next season. There will be room to have those players on the team, and add a player like Kovalchuk. Also, it could help lure Shestyorkin into signing, and gives Buchnevich another Russian on the team who he knows.
Good chance IF a team ponies up a 1st for Grabner that it will be conditional on him staying/resigning with his new club . So...with that being a 50-50 IMO chance of happening... we should at least feel out on Kovy...I like the Kovy /Buchnevich/Shestyorkin friendship bond idea and the Matt Martin one too . We will need bodies . Plus...we still could bring Grabner back if deemed needed and at the right price . What really worries me is Nash....we might see less for him if the teams that are in contention and seeking help....are not on his list . He could very well have a limited list to deal with for JG who might have his hands tied before he even starts chatting with potential clubs . Let's face it....Nash holds more cards here then JG . Nash has to agree to a team and the option of resigning with said team . Those clauses / limitations kill a lot of potential deals . Anyways....I hope he can get the best offer possible and that even if only a 1st rounder....it still means an upgrade for our club over a soft perimeter type player who once was a goal scorer .

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Off-season changes:

Rangers draft Dahlin 1OA

Lettieri(.925)

McDonagh(7)-Dahlin(.925)
Smith(4.35)-Graves(.925)
DeAngelo(.925)

Lundqvist(8.5)
Georgiyev(.925)

Never going to work. Too big a role for Georgiev in the grand scheme of things.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Well sure, but the vast majority of those signings turn out like Taylor Pyatt, Alex Frolov, even a guy like Desharnais is way above expectation right now. More DD guys? I applaud your patience and foresight :D

Yeah, the expectation is that that’s how they turn out. That’s the point. They’re an NHL capable body with veteran experience to help mentor the youth we bring in and round out the roster. If they exceed expectations and up their value, great, we can cash in at the deadline. If they play as expected we already know next year could be a transition year in the retooling process so they’re just here to cover for the youth anyhow and if a youth becomes ready and earns a full time spot that bumps one of those guys out of the lineup it’s not big deal because they’re cheap and only signed for 1-2 years.

Reactions: Off Sides

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would anyone be opposed to adding Matt Martin for the next couple of years while the young guys come up? I actually like the style he plays and he puts up an okay amount of points. There were rumors the Rangers liked him when he hit UFA and he married Boomer's daughter so I am sure he would welcome a shot at coming back to NYC. I also like Leivo. How about:

Martin @ $2.25m + Leivo for Tambellini

The Rangers add a couple of 4th line player for this year and most likely the next couple of years at a minimum and fill a couple of holes they have for the future without giving much up

Good idea, I am on board!

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

Off-season changes:

Rangers draft Dahlin 1OA

Lettieri(.925)

McDonagh(7)-Dahlin(.925)
Smith(4.35)-Graves(.925)
DeAngelo(.925)

Lundqvist(8.5)
Georgiyev(.925)

I love it, but it’s a pipe dream.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The thing with Kova is that he is older and everything, but what he got is PPQB ability. As good as he was in his prime basically. So mobile and explosive back there, that fierce one-timer. 5 on 5 he is basically a 3rd lineer.

But is it time for us to bring in a RHS for the blueline on the PP now? If we didn’t have one — he would help the kids produce. But now he would just compete with Tony D/Ziba.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Great point, in short, if we throw a bunch of kids on the ice they will fail and not develop.
Which is precisely what has happened to the Oilers for several years, at least until they drafted a generational talent in McDavid. Have to have a mix of youth and veterans.

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
If the Rangers sell, which they should, they can maybe gain more assets by exploiting their new found cap space.

For example - Rangers trade Holden & Grabner for Matt Martin, Kasperi Kapanen and a 1st. For teams looking to bulk up for the run, taking bad contracts will help them bring in that bulk and we can be there to prosper.

Other guys - Nick Bonino (4.1), Tobias Enstrom (5.75), Marc Methot (4.9 - IR), Tyler Ennis (4.6). More we move more we can take back. Chance to really build up an asset pool.

Also, San Jose strikes me as a sleeper for McDonagh. Not sure they have the assets.

EDIT: Sorry @NYR Viper i missed your post saying essentially the same thing.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Are there any actual legit rumors outside of the fluff we've been reading from the usual suspects?

Reactions: leetch99

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
On his daily segment on TSN 690 today, Pierre McGuire mentioned that if the Rangers shop McD, the Wild would actively pursue him, and mentioned that they have more prospects than the Leafs do, to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad