Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIII: Have no fear, the TDL is near (Mod Post page 233, #5809 - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In response to whoever wrote that they would be shocked if we dealt both McD and Zucc at the deadline.

Everyone should be aware of this — Gorton will NOT make bad deals. If we can make good rebuilding trades he will do that, heck if he could make a great win now trade he would probably pull that off too.

In short, it takes two to dance. We will not make a single trade if Gorton cannot find someone making a reasonable trade with him. This could mean that we sell 4-5 players if we are successful, and basically 0-1 trades if he is not.

If you are thinking that we will see a 05’ type of sell-off, guaranteed, think again.

-If we don’t get a 1st for Nash — he will not be traded.

-Same for Grabner probably.

-If we can only get say a name prospect that we aren’t that high on and a 1st and 3rd or something like that for McD we are not trading him (see Pittsburg traded “Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen, highly regarded prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft choice” for Marian Hossa...).

-More or less same for Zucc but a little lower.

In 05’ Slats held an auction and we took the highest offers. We are not seeing that now.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
IF Gorts keeps Nash and Grabs he's a complete fool. Take what you can get. Holden and DD also. The rest I agree with but there's zero reason to hold onto expiring assets because you feel they should net you something more. There's no benefit to having Nash / Grabs on this team after Feb 26th Their ONLY value to us is as trade chips.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So at what point do the Rangers sign Kovalchuk?
Would be the ultimate win-win to SELL Nash, Grabner, and Holden at the deadline and get many assets in return, while then having the Rangers turn it around with Kreider and Shattenkirk coming back, them signing Kovalchuck and grabbing one of the last two wild card spots.

Yea the tank crowd would be butt hurt but we would have done the job of maximizing the players due for free agency, turning them into draft picks and prospects, while still competing.

None of this would happen, but I would sure get joy out of it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Would be the ultimate win-win to SELL Nash, Grabner, and Holden at the deadline and get many assets in return, while then having the Rangers turn it around with Kreider and Shattenkirk coming back, them signing Kovalchuck and grabbing one of the last two wild card spots.

Yea the tank crowd would be butt hurt but we would have done the job of maximizing the players due for free agency, turning them into draft picks and prospects, while still competing.

I'm pretty sure that Kovalchuk wouldn't be eligible to play in the playoffs if that happened.

This team is dead anyway. Hoping for a revival is futile.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s hard to speculate, but it`s part of the fun and excitement as well. And I would be surprised if no one are moved before the deadline by Jeff Gorton. However there are positive signals that he asked for Nash trade list, which signal to me that some old core pieces will be moved in near future and perhaps before the trade deadline. But not certain what we can get in return of Nash or one of Grabner.
And if Jeff is taking some risks - he might consider to move one of Miller or Skjei for some top prospects in similar position + 1st in 2018. But I doubt Ryan Mc. get moved since he is the capt. and moving a capt. when the team is struggling is not the same as moving Callahan in a playoffs position for better pieces to try to win it all in 2014.

My point is if a team is struggling due to injuries - it`s a bad signal to move a cpt. like Ryan Mc. just my view of it.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I have no doubt they'll take a big swing with one of their first couple picks. How that works out positionally remains to be seen, but if the Rangers pick at #9, and have a pick coming up in the late 20's with Merkley sitting there, then I think they'd take their shot with someone like him.
Which is fine and precisely the type of draft I hope to have.

As far as I'm concerned, no one is untouchable for the right price. But I'd want a pretty impressive return for Miller.
100 percent true. Im a Kreider fanboy so for me the return would have to be very, very impressive.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kovalchuk only makes sense on a 1 year deal. Hold a place down on the roster while the kids develop.

And it makes very little sense at that. He was already in decline when he left. 6-7 mil for a one-dimensional 20 goal scorer isn't terribly appealing.

Let him go to the Islanders/Devils.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I think they could easily do exactly this next season. A healthy team, some smart moves in the off-season and add a couple of players who can help carry some of the offensive load and they may be in the playoff hunt right away

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well hockey teams move like fortune 500 companies, and that's slowly. This decision has probably been a year in the making, and if you look back at some of the reports from mid January about the Rangers, it said there was a bit of a divide in the front office when it came down to which direction to go. Given the direction of things now, I think it stands to reason that Gorton and Drury wanted to rebuild, so perhaps AV's tenure here was extended purely because of the organization dragging it's feet.

I certainly don't think your idea is irrational, but I think it might be a bit optimistic. Zucc and McDonagh are on their 2nd coach and system in the last 5 years. They've been great players in both systems, but I think it might be time to move on. I think the organization needs some new blood and some youthful optimism. There are a lot of guys on the team right now who look like they're burnt out, and I think if you're going to jump into a rebuild, now is the time to do it.
Right. When I take a step back, and look at the picture as a whole... and this is for me personally, what I see is a flawed roster being coached by a flawed coach, and they're sort of bringing out the worst in each other.

But then, okay, well, why is the roster flawed? That's not AV's fault...

I think I just straight up have major issues with the Rangers from top-to-bottom. So yeah. Probably just best to step away. I can't do anything about it. And I'm open and willing to at least wait and see what JG does at this deadline, and what we do at the draft. I'm probably just more pessimistic than most. When you see some of these proposals, or some of the returns people think we're going to get. I mean, f*** yeah, a lot of them would be great, but how realistic is it? How realistic is it that we go into this draft with 3 or even 4 1st round picks? I just cannot see that happening.

So. Wait and see, right?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers will be golfing by April 8th so its not a big concern.

I know, but the reason I bring it up is that it won't make a difference for Kovalchuk because of it. There's nothing a different team can offer him this season, if the Rangers were to sign him this early.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Kovalchuk has been saying he wants to play for the Rangers for 3 years now
31 Thoughts: Trying to remedy the NHL's goalie interference controversy - Sportsnet.ca

To NYR:
Brett Howden
Cal Foote
2018 1st

To TBL:
Ryan McDonagh

———

To NYR:
2018 1st
Valeri Nichushkin

To DAL:
Rick Nash
———

To NYR:
Jacob Larsson
2018 3rd

To ANA:
JT Miller

———

To NYR:
2018 1st
Klim Kostin

To STL:
Mats Zuccarello

———

Sign Ilya Kovalchuk [2Y/6M AAV]

———

Kovalchuk - Howden - Buchnevich
Kreider - Zibanejad - Nichushkin
Vesey - Chytil - Hayes
Grabner - Andersson - Kostin

Skjei - Shattenkirk
Larsson - DeAngelo
Graves - Foote
Pionk

Lundqvist
Georgiev
Lundqvist would commit hara-kiri if he had to play behind that defense.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lol it's a pretty inexperienced group but they're good players
They could be, problem is only two of them are established NHLers, 3 if we're being extremely generous to TDA.

2 are AHLers and 1 is still a Junior player. Thinking those 3 are all going to be up to snuff as 2nd and 3rd pair NHLers on the healthy roster is quite lofty expectations.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Would anyone be opposed to adding Matt Martin for the next couple of years while the young guys come up? I actually like the style he plays and he puts up an okay amount of points. There were rumors the Rangers liked him when he hit UFA and he married Boomer's daughter so I am sure he would welcome a shot at coming back to NYC. I also like Leivo. How about:

Martin @ $2.25m + Leivo for Tambellini

The Rangers add a couple of 4th line player for this year and most likely the next couple of years at a minimum and fill a couple of holes they have for the future without giving much up

Reactions: leetch99

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Would anyone be opposed to adding Matt Martin for the next couple of years while the young guys come up? I actually like the style he plays and he puts up an okay amount of points. There were rumors the Rangers liked him when he hit UFA and he married Boomer's daughter so I am sure he would welcome a shot at coming back to NYC. I also like Leivo. How about:

Martin @ $2.25m + Leivo for Tambellini

The Rangers add a couple of 4th line player for this year and most likely the next couple of years at a minimum and fill a couple of holes they have for the future without giving much up

I'd do it solely for the Islander tears.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd do it solely for the Islander tears.

I won't lie I like Martin. The guy brings it every game and he's a nice guy to have around some younger players. He also drives hard to the net and understands his role. IMO, he's the type of player who can help a team on a night when they are lacking energy, something this team sorely needs and something I think the younger guys should see when they inevitably come up. ENERGY.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
No reason to sign Kovalchuk when we need to get younger and cheaper.It's a waste signing a player of his stature if you quite possibly won't have a contending team for a few years

Reactions: Off Sides

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
No reason to sign Kovalchuk when we need to get younger and cheaper.It's a waste signing a player of his stature if you quite possibly won't have a contending team for a few years

I'm always in favor of adding free assets to the organization. If the team sucks, they have another asset to sell

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese