Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIII: Have no fear, the TDL is near (Mod Post page 233, #5809 - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I won't lie I like Martin. The guy brings it every game and he's a nice guy to have around some younger players. He also drives hard to the net and understands his role. IMO, he's the type of player who can help a team on a night when they are lacking energy, something this team sorely needs and something I think the younger guys should see when they inevitably come up. ENERGY.

Oh yeah, all that too. We had a front row seat to him for years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No reason to sign Kovalchuk when we need to get younger and cheaper.It's a waste signing a player of his stature if you quite possibly won't have a contending team for a few years

Its not a waste at all.

We should have plenty of cap space freed up, given the likely trades that are coming. Also, there's been talk of resigning Nash, resigning Grabner, why wouldn't we want to add a better player who likely can be had for less years? We don't have good enough forwards to get rid of Zuccarello, Nash, Grabner, and not replace them. Who do you want taking their spots? Lettieri? Vesey? These players are lucky if they can stick in the NHL, they certainly are not replacing top 6 forwards next season. There will be room to have those players on the team, and add a player like Kovalchuk. Also, it could help lure Shestyorkin into signing, and gives Buchnevich another Russian on the team who he knows.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Its not a waste at all.

We should have plenty of cap space freed up, given the likely trades that are coming. Also, there's been talk of resigning Nash, resigning Grabner, why wouldn't we want to add a better player who likely can be had for less years? We don't have good enough forwards to get rid of Zuccarello, Nash, Grabner, and not replace them. Who do you want taking their spots? Lettieri? Vesey? These players are lucky if they can stick in the NHL, they certainly are not replacing top 6 forwards next season. There will be room to have those players on the team, and add a player like Kovalchuk. Also, it could help lure Shestyorkin into signing, and gives Buchnevich another Russian on the team who he knows.
Just because we have the cap space doesn't mean we should spend it like Sather would.Kovalchuk won't be putting us over the top,we don't need him.Bring in young talented players and let the chips fall where they may.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm oddly not against this. Depends on the money and term.
Yeah, one of those situations where you have a player apparently motivated to play for the Rangers. Let him prove it.

edit: I mean prove his motivation in his salary demands.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Who says Kovalchuk is a better player today than Nash or Grabner? Where's the evidence of that? Both our guys play much better 3 zone hockey, I'll say that.

Kovy has scored goals in the KHL? Great. Nigel Dawes has produced him 5 straight seasons. That doesn't tell us anything.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
As long as they sign Kovalchuk to a one year deal so they can sell him as a rental next deadline, I'm okay with it.

They need to commit, if this is just a one year sell off and next year they are in the wildcard hunt and they start self renting, renting on top again, this whole thing ends up a cobbled together mishmash not too different from when they had Jagr, his buddies, Lundqvist.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Kovulchuk? Isn’t he 50? What’s with the obsession with KHL players on this forum? Is there a facepalm meme I can use

Reactions: Kovalev27

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You can't throw a bunch of 18 and 19 years olds on the ice and have it work. See Arizona and Buffalo and to a certain extent Edmonton. Sometimes I think this fanbase was permanently damaged from 98-04 when they had old high paid teams and other franchises were pointing fingers and laughing at us (fanbase not Rangers) and the Rangers drafting. Those days are over. As a fanbase we went from just being excited that Ryan Hollweg worked hard ("Hey, he's Young!") all the way to AV taking a fairly young team deep several times. It's ok to have some old guys to help the young guys develop. Look at what Feds did for Boyle, Prust, and Mitchell in 2010-11 and 2011-12.

If the money AND term aren't killer, Kovaclhuk would be fine.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Depending on the deal, if Kovy has his heart set on NY I’d consider it, but not if Nash/Grabner return. We don’t have room to bring back the exact same roster next year. The entire point of this “retool/rebuild” is too change the makeup. If we bring back Nash and Grabner, say we do trade Zucc but we start next season with Nash, Grabner, Kreider, Zib, Buch, Hayes, Miller, Fast, Vesey, Lettieri, Nieves, etc. than we are essentially the same team. Swapping Kovy into Zucc’s spot and scratching one of Vesey/Lettieri/Nieves for a rookie Chytil or LA doesn’t really change the mix by much. I am against bringing back both of Nash/Grabner. If we sign one I’d be 50/50 on Kovy. If we don’t bring either back, I am pretty open to it depending on the $$/years. He may be a good mentor to Buch and teach Zibby how to utilize that shot on the PP even better. Otherwise, I could pass just as easily.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who says Kovalchuk is a better player today than Nash or Grabner? Where's the evidence of that? Both our guys play much better 3 zone hockey, I'll say that.

Kovy has scored goals in the KHL? Great. Nigel Dawes has produced him 5 straight seasons. That doesn't tell us anything.

So you are saying that we have no idea of how Kovalchuk is because he doesn't play in the NHL? We must also have no idea how good Shestyorkin is, how good Chytil is, how good Andersson is.

Nash and Grabner are on pace for like 40 points, you really don't think Kovalchuk would be able to produce that?

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
You know, knee jerk reaction to Kovalchuk was "oh god no" but I like the arguments here, it does make a lot of sense as long as he doesn't want a crazy deal. I'm convinced.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Clearly it’s a long con to have Kovy be here as a mentor for Shesty AND Gusev when we trade for him with Vegas

Reactions: Trxjw

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So you are saying that we have no idea of how Kovalchuk is because he doesn't play in the NHL? We must also have no idea how good Shestyorkin is, how good Chytil is, how good Andersson is.

Nash and Grabner are on pace for like 40 points, you really don't think Kovalchuk would be able to produce that?

I don't think, even if he outscored them slightly, that Kovalchuk would provide nearly the benefit to the lineup that those two provide. And at a likely higher AAV, as well.

Kovy has a much higher risk, and I don't know anyone who thinks he's going to go right back to scoring 40 goals a season.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Kovulchuk? Isn’t he 50? What’s with the obsession with KHL players on this forum? Is there a facepalm meme I can use

Facepalm-meme-8-300x220.jpg

Careful. This is a powerful weapon and can be used against you.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I wouldn't be against Kovalchuk if the term is 1 or 2 years. I still think the Rangers are going to try to put together a solid team next seaso so I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him and one of Nash/Grabner.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
No doubt they'll need some vets, but with that comes a possible wild card team. Which is fine if they stick to a rebuilding course, if that is what they are choosing to do now there is no reason to reverse course just because they may be one of the 16 teams who may make the playoffs next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad