Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIII: Have no fear, the TDL is near (Mod Post page 233, #5809 - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just a reminder as we approach the deadline...

Do not, I repeat, do not post information from sources that have not been vetted.

The random person you follow on twitter with 39 followers is not a valid source. Members of HF that are NO LONGER VETTED and spout random musings on their twitter account are NOT valid sources.

Valid sources are people such as McKenzie, Brooks, Lebrun, Dreger, etc. People with actual connections.

Carry on...

Reactions: Avery16 and Ori

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
C'mon, man. We're very clearly already there. The only difference between what you're arguing against and the idea of squeaking into the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first round is that you think one is more noble than the other.
No question. I guess really I just gotta be more patient. Wait and see. Let's see some of the returns and where we actually end up drafting. But if the returns are marginal and we end up with a middling pick, I'm gonna be flustered af.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, it will be busy NHL market - the league is so open this season.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
No question. I guess really I just gotta be more patient. Wait and see. Let's see some of the returns and where we actually end up drafting. But if the returns are marginal and we end up with a middling pick, I'm gonna be flustered af.

We'll all be pissed if the returns are weak, but we'd also all be pissed if the team couldn't look themselves in the mirror and see that they're better served taking that shot than they are trying to make a half-hearted run at the playoffs.

I can totally see where you're coming from in your point of view. The rebuild could definitely flop, and a new coach is the easier and less risky path forward. That being said, I don't see this team as a new coach and system away from being able to beat the top teams in the league in a 7 game series. I can see why that worked in Pittsburgh with Bylsma because he loosened the reins on what was a defensive system that stifled offense, and he let the super stars take over. We don't have that, and I don't see a competent defensive structure getting into place before the playoffs start even if the coach was fired today.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
My dream scenario...trade McD,Nash,Grabner,Zuc,D.D,Holden and end up with 3 1st round picks with 1 being in the top 4.Few top end prospects and 2 2nd round picks and a middle prospect or 2.A man can dream,cant he? :)

Reactions: Ori

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Assuming these following guys remain on the roster after the deadline....
Kreider
Mika
Buch
Hayes
Miller
Vesey
Lettieri
Fast
Skjei
Shatty
ADA
Staal
Smith

.....we need to acquire/draft a bonafied first line center. A top line winger. A second line winger. A fourth line center. A top pairing d and a veteran defensive minded d. I personally would get rid of Miller and Smith if I could. We should have 3 first round picks and two seconds this year to draft top end talent. Then we should recoup at least 2 impact players in the upcoming trades to fill the above needs. Plus we have Chytl, Lias, Pionk and Day to come up or as chips. Not to mention a boatload of money to use in free agency. Done right this could be a quick rebuild having us ready to compete year two

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
My concern is, the same people who influenced and came to the final decisions on what has become this season, are likely to be the same who will guide this rebuild. Their amateur scouting seems to at least have a pretty decent record, but their pro scouting and pro player evaluations has been pretty lackluster. At some point even if they do sell everything, they are going to need to make good choices at the pro level, that concerns me. There seems to be some poor opinions who have influence within this organization, there appears to be some good ones, if they don't root out the bad they are going to make too many mistakes rebuilding this thing.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
My dream scenario...trade McD,Nash,Grabner,Zuc,D.D,Holden and end up with 3 1st round picks with 1 being in the top 4.Few top end prospects and 2 2nd round picks and a middle prospect or 2.A man can dream,cant he? :)

It`s fun to watch young talents for sure. :)

Reactions: mrmovies779

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Ill tell you one thing. At the draft this year, whether we have 1 pick or 3 first round picks, I would like to see A LOT more selections on the higher skilled/longer shot/higher risk type player then the usual safe pick this team usually goes through. Kypreos believes Nash will be the first player traded and won't even make it to the deadline. Supposedly theres also a decent amount of interest in Holden. If Gorts can somehow magically muster a 3rd for Holden, its a win. DD will probably fetch a 5th. I'd be surprisingly shocked if somehow McDonagh and/or Zucc are not here on Feb 26th. As shitty as this season is, I am pretty excited to go through with this.

One thing I want done during these next few years, a minor league team that actually has some useful call ups when called upon. Hopefully management has also recognized that.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think every poster would be... 100% across the board.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We'll all be pissed if the returns are weak, but we'd also all be pissed if the team couldn't look themselves in the mirror and see that they're better served taking that shot than they are trying to make a half-hearted run at the playoffs.

I can totally see where you're coming from in your point of view. The rebuild could definitely flop, and a new coach is the easier and less risky path forward. That being said, I don't see this team as a new coach and system away from being able to beat the top teams in the league in a 7 game series. I can see why that worked in Pittsburgh with Bylsma because he loosened the reins on what was a defensive system that stifled offense, and he let the super stars take over. We don't have that, and I don't see a competent defensive structure getting into place before the playoffs start even if the coach was fired today.
Right, but along with this, I'd like to see some of our players, particularly McDonagh and Zuccarello, at least playing under a new coach or within a new system before making organizational altering moves like trading our 1D captain and 2nd best winger.

I mean, I get it, we're running out of time here. So the real issue is that AV wasn't canned when he should've been, and that's probably what I'm most annoyed by, which is affecting whether or not I can view the deadline rationally.

I don't necessarily think this is such an irrational thing, but I also understand that it's too late.

So really, my beef remains with Gorton.

Reactions: haveandare and Ori

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I would like to think that the 2017 draft is indicative of what the Rangers will do with multiple picks in 2018. They'll make some safe picks, and they'll make some risky picks. They'll likely nab some over age kids playing overseas, and spend a late pick on a kid coming out of some lower tier league in Canada.

The problem with going for super high skill players is that there aren't a lot of them in the organization right now. So if you want to build an exciting East/West team with loads of puck skill then you're starting way behind the 8-ball. What I expect them to do is try to do what Gorton did in Boston, and that's build a mix of skill, speed, and grit that's very deep up and down the line up.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Right, but along with this, I'd like to see some of our players, particularly McDonagh and Zuccarello, at least playing under a new coach or within a new system before making organizational altering moves like trading our 1D captain and 2nd best winger.

I mean, I get it, we're running out of time here. So the real issue is that AV wasn't canned when he should've been, and that's probably what I'm most annoyed by, which is affecting whether or not I can view the deadline rationally.

I don't necessarily think this is such an irrational thing, but I also understand that it's too late.

You really need to evaluate where you are in terms of personnel and I really don’t know how you can do that honestly when your players don’t want to play for your coach.

I think with McDonagh and Zuccarello, you look for a great deal before the deadline. If not, you trade them at the draft. The value wouldn’t be significantly different at that point, since instead of teams going for it, you have teams that just missed and are looking to fill weaknesses that were exposed in the playoffs.

But again, how can you evaluate where you are with those two guys when they’re not interested in playing for AV.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Well hockey teams move like fortune 500 companies, and that's slowly. This decision has probably been a year in the making, and if you look back at some of the reports from mid January about the Rangers, it said there was a bit of a divide in the front office when it came down to which direction to go. Given the direction of things now, I think it stands to reason that Gorton and Drury wanted to rebuild, so perhaps AV's tenure here was extended purely because of the organization dragging it's feet.

I certainly don't think your idea is irrational, but I think it might be a bit optimistic. Zucc and McDonagh are on their 2nd coach and system in the last 5 years. They've been great players in both systems, but I think it might be time to move on. I think the organization needs some new blood and some youthful optimism. There are a lot of guys on the team right now who look like they're burnt out, and I think if you're going to jump into a rebuild, now is the time to do it.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Assuming these following guys remain on the roster after the deadline....
Kreider
Mika
Buch
Hayes
Miller
Vesey
Lettieri
Fast
Skjei
Shatty
ADA
Staal
Smith

.....we need to acquire/draft a bonafied first line center. A top line winger. A second line winger. A fourth line center. A top pairing d and a veteran defensive minded d. I personally would get rid of Miller and Smith if I could. We should have 3 first round picks and two seconds this year to draft top end talent. Then we should recoup at least 2 impact players in the upcoming trades to fill the above needs. Plus we have Chytl, Lias, Pionk and Day to come up or as chips. Not to mention a boatload of money to use in free agency. Done right this could be a quick rebuild having us ready to compete year two

I wouldn't be surprised if a Miller or Hayes is dealt.

Reactions: Trxjw and NYRKING30

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I would like to think that the 2017 draft is indicative of what the Rangers will do with multiple picks in 2018. They'll make some safe picks, and they'll make some risky picks. They'll likely nab some over age kids playing overseas, and spend a late pick on a kid coming out of some lower tier league in Canada.

The problem with going for super high skill players is that there aren't a lot of them in the organization right now. So if you want to build an exciting East/West team with loads of puck skill then you're starting way behind the 8-ball. What I expect them to do is try to do what Gorton did in Boston, and that's build a mix of skill, speed, and grit that's very deep up and down the line up.
Which is fine with me especially assuming we'll have multiple first rounders. The type of team I want Gorton to build is precisely what you just described and not one dimensional. I just think with our first pick or 2, they really need to try to land that super talented high skill players even if there is a bit more of uncertainty of how'll they'll develop or what they could be in the NHL. The Bruins of today even are a real good example of the type of team I'd like to see.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
When you're constantly shifting positions and line mates, it's kinda hard to be consistent.
Yeah, deff understandable. Except that its not the first time in his career he's gone this way. Hasn't showed up in the playoffs. I personally would like to keep Miller. For the right price of course. I'd also trade him if the price was right too.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Which is fine with me especially assuming we'll have multiple first rounders. The type of team I want Gorton to build is precisely what you just described and not one dimensional. I just think with our first pick or 2, they really need to try to land that super talented high skill players even if there is a bit more of uncertainty of how'll they'll develop or what they could be in the NHL. The Bruins of today even are a real good example of the type of team I'd like to see.

I have no doubt they'll take a big swing with one of their first couple picks. How that works out positionally remains to be seen, but if the Rangers pick at #9, and have a pick coming up in the late 20's with Merkley sitting there, then I think they'd take their shot with someone like him.

Reactions: NYRKING30

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Yeah, deff understandable. Except that its not the first time in his career he's gone this way. Hasn't showed up in the playoffs. I personally would like to keep Miller. For the right price of course. I'd also trade him if the price was right too.

As far as I'm concerned, no one is untouchable for the right price. But I'd want a pretty impressive return for Miller.

Reactions: NYRKING30

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kovalchuk has been saying he wants to play for the Rangers for 3 years now
31 Thoughts: Trying to remedy the NHL's goalie interference controversy - Sportsnet.ca

To NYR:
Brett Howden
Cal Foote
2018 1st

To TBL:
Ryan McDonagh

———

To NYR:
2018 1st
Valeri Nichushkin

To DAL:
Rick Nash