Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIII: Have no fear, the TDL is near (Mod Post page 233, #5809 - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Honestly being at the game and watching Zucc I want to keep him. Everyone else can **** off but I think we should keep him and make him the captain. That’s how much he is loved. I was for trading him but if there is one player to keep it’s most definitely him.

His season highlights have been:

OT winner vs Boston
Beating up Victor Hedman
Pushing Oulette into the bench.

Move him before its too late.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
I would bet good money we make no moves tomorrow. Just a hunch I have. I think we are done until the offseason.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I think the Rangers have done well this TDL. We’ve been the most active team by far and the returns have been fair to good.

However, I think Melnyk has jacked up the overall TDL this year. While we have done well and I’m not disappointed as a Rangers fan, I am somewhat disappointed as a hockey fan right now. Not only has it been slow, but it doesn’t sound like there is a lot of rumored movement tomorrow either. We have all these names like Paccioretty and Tatar and Karlsson who probably won’t move. Green and Kane are basically the only sure rental names at this point. Melnyk really gummed up the works and in a pretty pathetic and disgusting way, IMO. If this is how you run a team, sell. It’s disrespectful to the players you employ and the fans you make your money off of. I have always liked Ottawa but right now they deserve what they get if Karlsson moves at pennies on the dollar. It’s all on their penny pinching owner and he should get the full brunt of the blame.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Also, I’d take Karlsson in a heart beat. I think he would happily re-sign here and if you can get him cheap because of Ryan being attached, all the better. Ryan is more productive than Nash was at about the same cap hit. Once Karlsson is off the market we also can control the demand for McD more.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Would be amazing if we can trade Lundqvist.

I am guessing we will ride out Staal, Lundqvist and Smith? Or maybe bury Smith in AHL if he keeps playing bad.

No teams are interested in Desharnais, Carey, Pavelec, or Kampfer?

I much rather trade Vesey and keep Spooner. Spooner is only a year older and is more expensive, but was more skilled.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
They might as well waive him.

They’re dead set on attaching Ryan’s contract with him. Which is why his value will be low. Who wants to take Ryan’s 7.5M cap hit? They can’t just waive Ryan either. Karlsson is being used as bait to get someone to take Ryan off their hands so they don’t have to pay him.

Reactions: greasch#4

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
They’re dead set on attaching Ryan’s contract with him. Which is why his value will be low. Who wants to take Ryan’s 7.5M cap hit? They can’t just waive Ryan either. Karlsson is being used as bait to get someone to take Ryan off their hands so they don’t have to pay him.

I would consider Bobby Ryan for Marc Staal or Brandan Smith + Beleskey

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I would consider Bobby Ryan for Marc Staal or Brandan Smith + Beleskey

They don’t want to pay anyone so I doubt they’d do it. Last stitch, if they couldn’t get rid of his contract any other way and they could save a few million, they probably would. But the closer the salary gets to equal, the less odds they would even consider it. They want to trade Karlsson (+Ryan) for a couple guys making 900k and draft picks. Basically they are looking to spend nothing.

Reactions: GregSirico

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
They don’t want to pay anyone so I doubt they’d do it. Last stitch, if they couldn’t get rid of his contract any other way and they could save a few million, they probably would. But the closer the salary gets to equal, the less odds they would even consider it. They want to trade Karlsson (+Ryan) for a couple guys making 900k and draft picks. Basically they are looking to spend nothing.
If I’m the NHL I don’t even allow them to do that. I mean it’s absurd.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Your post is dead on.

I was being semi sarcastic in mine that this move is in no way strategic or value oriented and that it is an effort to cut salary in its primary motivation, itis tantamount to waiving him. That he is being used to cut another big contract is even sadder still.

If this goes down like it looks like it would it would be more like a financial transaction than a hockey trade.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

well they are forgetting there is a large floor cap.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Your post is dead on.

I was being semi sarcastic in mine that this move is in no way strategic or value oriented and that it is an effort to cut salary in its primary motivation, itis tantamount to waiving him. That he is being used to cut another big contract is even sadder still.

If this goes down like it looks like it would it would be more like a financial transaction than a hockey trade.

Absolutely disgusting. Melnyk has to go. He's a f***ing disgrace.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
well they are forgetting there is a large floor cap.

I would not be surprised to see them make a move to try and take back a player or two who have large cap hits but low actual dollars remaining. For example, Tyler Myers cap hit is something like 5.7M but he got most of his money up front and is only due to be paid about 3M. That way they can SPEND under the cap floor but accumulate large enough cap hits to reach it.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I would not be surprised to see them make a move to try and take back a player or two who have large cap hits but low actual dollars remaining. For example, Tyler Myers cap hit is something like 5.7M but he got most of his money up front and is only due to be paid about 3M. That way they can SPEND under the cap floor but accumulate large enough cap hits to reach it.

Good example is the Phaneuf trade. Both had 4 years left but Phaneuf is due 7M, 6.5M, 6.5M, 5.5M. Gabodik is only due 5.2M, 4.6M, 3.2M, 3.1M. Cap hit almost identical but Senators save over 9M over 4 seasons but stay just as close to the cap floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad