Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don't disagree with his point, but I don't think we need to be worried about how much this team is winning. Not yet, at least. We're tied with LA for 5th worst. The teams behind us, other than Detroit, have played less games, and other than Detroit, they all have expectations of making the playoffs. We play LA and Florida in 2 of our next 4 games. It won't take much for us to be 2nd worst.
Agreed.

Also, Hank... he gonna play like this until April?

Injuries to anyone other than Beleskey?

The kids (who haven't looked bad but also not stellar) handle the long season?

Buch? Skjei? Kreider? Guys we wanted to take big steps... where do they go?

The team is going to play how they play, the draft balls will fall where they may. I'm not worried they look too good.

Just be bottom 5 or so and hope for some luck.

Also most "good teams" are still in pre-season mode.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The reason Georgiev, Howden, Pionk and Chytil are up is because that's where management sees them developing best (at this time). That isn't to say that they couldn't be sent down still.

Gorton has stated "We could just throw a bunch of kids out there and say look at how young we are, but we are going to do what's best for each to maximize their development"

Could they all be down? Sure. Could they be send down and brought back? Sure. If Chytil keeps struggling he'll certainly be demoted.

Again, I haven't seen Gorton or Quinn for that matter do ANYTHING that contradicts what they were saying prior to the season starting or since.

Reactions: E-Train and jas

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Chytil and Lias should both only get 9 games with the Rangers so that their ELCs slide. Howden is not eligible for his ELC to slide, so I don't see a point in sending him down unless he starts to really struggle.

Only question in my eyes is what forward we call up when we send Chytil down after his 9. Not sure there are any ready options in Hartford (poor Nieves, this could have been his time), so maybe that's why the Rangers have been scouting other teams heavily? Trade one of our D for a forward replacement for Chytil. Seems to make sense to me.

EDIT: Forgot about Beleskey. I guess another option would be Beleskey stays with the Rangers, Chytil down after 9 games.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
“It’s fair to say that if a guy proves he’s ready, we’ll make whatever roster moves are necessary to accommodate him,” the GM said. “We’re not going to hold anybody back because we have X number of veterans here under contract.

“At the same time, though, if a player is going to be in the NHL, he has to earn it. We’re not giving anyone a spot just to show that our kids are developing. We’re operating under a merit system.”

“Filip and Lias are still very young players whom we think will benefit from playing with the group of 18-, 19- and 20-year-olds we have,” Gorton said. “We’d like them to grow together as a group and get as much familiarity with one another as they can.

“The intent is to have all three at center to start,” Gorton said of Chytil, Andersson and Howden. “We want them to play their natural position and see how they look there. That’s how we want to evaluate them. As we move along, we’ll see, but we don’t have a plan to move any of the them to the wing. We think of them as centers.”

https://nypost.com/2018/09/06/rangers-second-year-studs-in-middle-of-center-glut/

I think I could argue, rightly or wrongly, that DeAngelo is being held back, Chytil and Howden's preseason games did not at the time seem to earn them a spot, and that the 18-19-20 year olds could be a group if they were all in the AHL as could Chytil be a center there.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
They’re essentially 3 games under .500 without a win in regulation.

This team was expected to suck and so far, they’ve sucked. I don’t know what people were expecting.

Ok and the Ducks are 5-1-1 with the worst CF% in the league, The Panthers are 0-2-2 with the 7th best, The Coyotes have the 4th best CF%. The Senators are 3-2-1. The Blues are 1-3-2.

It's 6-7 games in the season. The record really does not tell you much about how they have played.

Reactions: silverfish

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Would you guys be willing to part with Lias Andersson + K'Andre Miller for Nylander?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ok and the Ducks are 5-1-1 with the worst CF% in the league, The Panthers are 0-2-2 with the 7th best, The Coyotes have the 4th best CF%. The Senators are 3-2-1. The Blues are 1-3-2.

It's 6-7 games in the season. The record really does not tell you much about how they have played.

Corsi sucks.

But you’re right, it is a small sample size. I’m probably letting my own biases get in the way here since they’ve basically been exactly what I’ve expected them to be.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I would, but I might be the only one. Getting a 22-year old who has 2 60 point seasons in his back pocket would be big.

Wouldn't the Leafs be more interested in win now pieces though?

They probably would be. I not a fan of 1 for 1 forward for defencemen trades though because I think scoring forwards are far more impactful to the game than defencemen.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Buchnevich, McQuaid + +? If we somehow can sneak in Spooner or Vesey.. that'd be great

Tell them how beautiful they are

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Would you guys be willing to part with Lias Andersson + K'Andre Miller for Nylander?

Honestly, no. In most cases I would because the dollar is better than the 4 quarters, but it doesn't align with the rebuild and he'll be getting market price (8M+).

If we're gonna spend market price in a cap world, spend the 8M and maybe 2M more on Panarin (who's better) and get Andersson and Miller for "free" IMO.

Reactions: lucky13

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What do some people expect?
Send everyone under 22 to the minors. Trade everyone over 24. Ice a bunch of local beer leaguers?

5 years from now, the Rangers might be better off doing something like that compared to whatever it is they're doing now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I have a sinking feeling that Nylander on this roster, at this time, would go south pretty quickly.

He’s a very talented player. But this forward group is not Toronto’s, and that’s before we move certain guys.

I just think the context of certain deals is very important and one of the elements that tends to get overlooked.

It’s what leads to acquiring guys and expecting 60-70 points based on what they did in another environment, and being shocked when they come in under that in this one.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I have a sinking feeling that Nylander on this roster, at this time, would go south pretty quickly.

He’s a very talented player. But this forward group is not Toronto’s, and that’s before we move certain guys.

I just think the context of certain deals is very important and one of the elements that tends to get overlooked.

It’s what leads to acquiring guys and expecting 60-70 points based on what they did in another environment, and being shocked when they come in under that in this one.
I seem to recall a similar circumstance when Bernie Nicholls went from 150 to 73 points in a matter of two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad