Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Edmonton has some prospects I would be interested in Puljujarvi, Yamaoto, Bear and Jones

Of course the 18 first is of interest

I don’t think any of those pieces though entices me to trade Kreider though

Very big gamble

They also messed up burning Puljujarvi’s ELC contract last year. Maybe that hurts his value

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
RNH + Jesse Puljujarvi and 2nd round pick for Kreider and Nash(50% retained)

BUCHNEVICH | ZIBANEJAD | MILLER
PULJUJÄRVI
| RNH | ZUCCARELLO
FAST
| HAYES | GRABNER
VESEY
| DESHARNAIS | NIEVES

Reactions: Ori

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I
The Rangers should send their entire front office and scouting staff to go look at Puljujarvi in Bakersfield,California.

There is a deal to be made with Edmonton because they need a winger.

I agree, and it's a lefty righty move. Hurts the Rangers in the interim, but Puju has tremendous upside. I don't know full details, but I'll ask some of my contacts... heard some guys think he's got some bust potential... others think it's a Filip Forsberg situation... a skilled power forward that can't play his type of game until he matures physically.

There are two disappointments in the making with Bennet and Reinhardt... where scouts were "right at the time" but the guys aren't athletically gifted enough to put on mass and keep it on... which is limiting their upside in a men's league... maybe Puju is in that mold... maybe not. But he's a perfect trade candidate for the Rangers who need skilled RH shots with size.

That said, you can't play a Corey Perry type of game by being undersized and disengaged.

Brandon Saad got Panarin... and while Kreider lacks the consistency of a Saad, they are similar type players. The Rangers should be able to work a deal that is Puju plus in a package.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Still think a reactionary trade to move Kreider, who adds an element that no one else on this team can, is an awful move that should never come before AV being fired.

I don't think a panic move to right the ship is coming. Like Bobby Mac alluded to the other day on NBCSN: He said that the bar for the Rangers this season is likely pretty low. I don't think they're going to start dealing off pieces for quick fixes.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Maybe with Ship leaving the Wolves and Vegas coming to town Gorton can get together with Mc and put thogether a deal. Price has to be dropping.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Still think a reactionary trade to move Kreider, who adds an element that no one else on this team can, is an awful move that should never come before AV being fired.

They're going to make a cultural change... this is long overdue. There hasn't been solid accountability in that room since MSL left... to your point... that falls on the coaches... but guys have to be self-accountable... and very very few are in that room.

Rangers are in a position to really make some aggressive moves and rebuild within two off-seasons... but you have to get rid of the passengers and bring in the drivers.

Nash to Nashville for Petterson. Get a ready made player... Nashville can afford to make a deal like this.

The Rangers have really poor OHL and WHL scouting... they need new guys there.

Their European scouts are good, but leaving... their NA guys brought in too many chums... these guys aren't your meat and potato guys that will step up.

You have a group that mounts a good 20 minutes... feels good about themselves... and says hey we tried... Kreider is in that bucket.

It's good for both parties to move on. Kreider is one of the few assets that can get an over valued haul... the 3-4 shifts every 10 games he gives where he's in beast mode is tantalizing enough to a team... where they will think the right room and city and coach will bring that out of him.

Cost controlled, no ntc... this is the time to make a move. It's not a panic move imo.. it's a move to change directions.

Reactions: hi

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't think a panic move to right the ship is coming. Like Bobby Mac alluded to the other day on NBCSN: He said that the bar for the Rangers this season is likely pretty low. I don't think they're going to start dealing off pieces for quick fixes.

It's funny he said the samething about MTL... teams that were consistent 100 point teams that have taken a step back... The Rangers really need to mold themselves into 4 2A and 2B lines, and shore up the errors on defense. That's achievable imo... they don't need 3 years to do that... they need to make 6-7 moves via trade and free agency.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe in such a shakeup deal as @Ola mentioned - it create different dynamic which might help our current roster to get going in the right directions.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If there is a "core" forward who isn't a pending UFA who should be moved, its Zuccarello.

Kreider would be much, much tougher to replace. Remember how big of a hit the team took after Hagelin was moved?

If Kreider is going to Edmonton, I want JP+2018 1st or Yamamoto+that 1. No RNH bullshit, I'll take back the Fayne contract to make it work.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I believe in such a shakeup deal as @Ola mentioned - it create different dynamic which might help our current roster to get going in the right directions.

@Ola is right about that... there's a level of complacency here that isn't palatable imo.

You make a coaching change, remove Nash and Staal from the roster by July (Nash via trade, Staal through a buyout)... and you trade the passengers.

Kreider, Hayes, Vesey... that will get you some nice returns. You don't trade these guys for futures, you need tangible assets that can contribute for these guys.

You trade Grabs, Nash, Holden for futures or NHL ready players... picks are 3-4 years away... they need players that contribute to roles...

And now you have missing slots combined with inconsistent efforts... that won't cut it.

Biggest need imo is a playmaking center... a guy that generates offense for his wingers. Is that Filip? Maybe...

But the more I think about... the more I feel that they need to go with a 4 2A/2B/2C lines. Two that can check, two that can reap offensive starts.

Defense needs a stopper on the right side.

Reactions: Ori

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Major overpayment from Edmonton. Nash doesn't have that kind of trade value, even at 50%. Not to mention there are allegedly no Canadian teams on his trade list.

The NTC to Canadians teams doesn't mean much, Nash is a free agent in a few months. He won't have to settle down there if he doesn't want to and I bet he would rather take another run at the cup than be a part of the cluster f*** we have brewing here.

I don't think people realize how bad the RNH contract is. Its 6 mil for 4 more seasons. Hes the store brand version of Derek Stepan.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Kreider getting traded is way more likely than AV being fired.

Both need to happen. The brass needs to step in before they go the route of the dark ages, you shift away from your passengers. Bring in guys that are accountable. Kreider brings in more pieces than he's worth... you may get that with some other guys if there's a bidding war... but Kreider is the only guy that teams will overpay for outside of McDonagh.

The NTC to Canadians teams doesn't mean much, Nash is a free agent in a few months. He won't have to settle down there if he doesn't want to and I bet he would rather take another run at the cup than be a part of the cluster **** we have brewing here.

I don't think people realize how bad the RNH contract is. Its 6 mil for 4 more seasons. Hes the store brand version of Derek Stepan.

RNH has gotten worse over the years... he'd not a guy you win with imo... go for higher skill or reliability. Clearing space is a smarter move, there will be some very good UFA's.

Backlund is a UFA... that's a very good two way center imo.

Turris, Bozak in the middle.

Hornqvist, Hansen, Komarov, Rousel.

Keep the ca space open, trade pieces like Kreider, Hayes, Vesey... back fill your depth with guys that can play their roles, collect young assets and and sign UFAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark