Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Shipachev for Tambellini and Graves

If Vegas voids his contract now that he's been suspended - maybe we can just sign him for the rest of the season without giving up anything - longshot, but you never know, and I like the sound of that scenario much better than trading Kreider for RNH.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Edmonton has some prospects I would be interested in Puljujarvi, Yamaoto, Bear and Jones

Of course the 18 first is of interest

I don’t think any of those pieces though entices me to trade Kreider though

Very big gamble

They also messed up burning Puljujarvi’s ELC contract last year. Maybe that hurts his value

Even worse than that, he was on the team for 42 games, which means the year counts as an accrued season, bringing him closer to UFA status.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Extremely hesitant to make a move for a guy at a significant cap hit who hasn't yet proven anything in the NHL.

High reward, for sure, but there is a bit of risk as well. Can NYR re-sign Miller, Hayes, and Skjei if they add Ship's 4 mil? Would it ruin a possible chance at signing Tavares?

I wouldn't trade for him, but for a different reason.

This team should be rebuilding. Why do we need a 30 year old on a two year deal? It does us no good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe its the name, nationality, and position, but Puljujaarvi just constantly brings me back to the disasters that was Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson.

No sense in it, just seems weirdly comparable in career tracks so far.

I think he was definitely overrated at the draft, but I don't think he'll be a complete bust. He should still be a top 6 winger.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If there is a team willing to overpay for Kreider you make the deal. He will be tremendously difficult to replace, yes. So is Stepan. This is the point of rebuilding so the team doesn’t toil in mediocrity. Build a new young core that can come up together.

Puljujaarvi would be a tremendous addition to the prospect pool for this organization. He had a very good rookie season in the AHL last year for an 18 year old playing in North America for the first time. See if Edmonton would move their 1st in 18 as well. Even a pick in the 20 range would allow this organization to add another quality piece.

If Kreider is dealt Nash is just a matter of time. Let him build up his value until the deadline and then see what team really wants him. Same goes for DD, Grabner, Holden.

Getting picks/prospects back for those guys along with the Kreider deal and this organization may have been able to practically fully restock and rebuild in a matter of 2 years.

ADA
Andersson
Chytil
Pionk
Puljujaarvi
NYR 1st 18
EDM 1st 18
Pick from Nash
Pick from Grabner
Pick from Holden

Re-evaluate the depth after the trade deadline by seeing how guys like Nieves, Lettieri, ADA, Pionk, Puljujaarvi, and any others they want to see and determine where an addition is needed.

Please let this scenario happen:

2 lottery picks will result in Dahlin and Zadina. We get a 1st for Nash from San Jose. We use that to draft pick on Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Our team will look like this:

Chytil-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Miller-Andersson-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Puljujarvi
Lettieri-Nieves-Fast

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Dahlin-Smith
Skjei-DeAngelo/Pionk

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He posted a .71 PPG in the AHL as an 18 year old.

Again, that is pretty f***ing good. Would he go 4th in a redraft? Probably not, but I don't think he would be going much later than that.

I'll put it this way, I like him wayyyy more than Dylan Strome, who some wanted back for Stepan.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't want Kreider off the team, but I think its a longer rebuild than we think, unless we add Dahlin/Svechnikov. I'm not sure this isn't like a 3 or 4 year rebuild.

Kreider's salary is only going to go up, and I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to trade him for Puljujarvi who has higher potential than Kreider, and probably won't be any worse than Kreider is right now. I'd ask for a small add, but not much. Thats not to say I dislike Kreider, he's one of my favorite players on the team, but his window does not coincide with our window. This is his prime, our team is rebuilding right now. Anyone's window who doesn't coincide with our prime should be considered a trade candidate. I'd include McDonagh in that group. If we add Dahlin, trade McDonagh for the best offer we can get.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't want Kreider off the team, but I think its a longer rebuild than we think, unless we add Dahlin/Svechnikov. I'm not sure this isn't like a 3 or 4 year rebuild.

Kreider's salary is only going to go up, and I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to trade him for Puljujarvi who has higher potential than Kreider, and probably won't be any worse than Kreider is right now. I'd ask for a small add, but not much. Thats not to say I dislike Kreider, he's one of my favorite players on the team, but his window does not coincide with our window. This is his prime, our team is rebuilding right now. Anyone's window who doesn't coincide with our prime should be considered a trade candidate. I'd include McDonagh in that group. If we add Dahlin, trade McDonagh for the best offer we can get.

That is entirely possible.

But I still think its a bad idea to move him before axing AV/moving Zuccarello first. Unless you can get a slam dunk deal, moving Kreider just isn't a smart idea.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

It is way too quick to say whether or not this team has to rebuild long term. I wouldn't make drastic moves just this second. Trading expiring contracts is fine, and maybe even Zucc or McDonagh, but we still have good pieces, and who knows whether or not a new coach might be the answer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

But I still think its a bad idea to move him before axing AV/moving Zuccarello first. Unless you can get a slam dunk deal, moving Kreider just isn't a smart idea.

They can do all of the above. AV has to go, and he will. Zucc should be moved, but you don't just shovel players to other teams, you gotta find good trades. I have no problem if the Kreider trade comes before a Zucc trade because its easier right now to find a Kreider trade, as long as all those in their prime right now are cleared out, and we get players who can help us when we are able to contend.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

If we are building towards being a contender in 2-3 years, trading Kreider isn't a bad idea.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
First off if any of you go to SNYRangersBlog it's clear that Rotter reads these pages and is one of us in disguise or just doesn't post. He's literally writing commentary that is based off what we said a page ago. Not a bad thing just funny.

He's not the only one. They get their content from here and elsewhere, and people follow. It's a nice model. I actually built a network for Ranger fans last year as a bit of a protest against these boards. Still have the assets to do it again, some of the guys joined in but it needs much more effort than what I was able to put in last year.

I don’t disagree with you, but how much of this is fluff or an idea to try to have an explanation for the team not having enough talent? We need talent, plain and simple. Kreids is one of our young guys with talent, and shipping him off when we clearly have a coaching problem doesn’t make sense to me.

I don’t believe any of this country club talk, and we never discuss the middle area between having a dictator like Torts/Ruff and a hands-off guy like AV. Great coaches like Laviolette and Babcock do both.

The last line is what Joe Michaletti and Dave Maloney once said... Backcock, Quennville... it's the polar opposite of Torts.. and now the effects are there. But look I agree with the lack of talent, but it's the lack f effort and strategy that gets to me. They extended him too early. The Rangers don't do early extensions for players and it hurts the cap... but the one time they do it... they give it to the coach.

Not giving you a hard time here, but who?

He's my guy if he makes it to UFA. If the Rangers go the route of trading Hayes, Backlund is a solid two way center that can take hard defensive minutes and contribute offensively as well. He would also be tremendously helpful in insulating Chytil and Andersson in the next couple of years.

Turris will be overpaid. Bozak would be my plan C or D concerning bringing in a center, but he wouldn't be awful.

Hornqvist will be overpaid. Hansen was healthy scratched in San Jose for the last couple, wasn't he? Pass.

Komarov and Roussel would be excellent additions to add a little piss and vinegar to the forward corps.

Petersson is a guy that I've been mentioning since earlier in the year. Very well thought of, over a PPG center in the AHL. Big 6'3" 215 LB Swede. Had a breakout year last year, and is getting better this year. Soderberg type player.

I'd go hard after Rousel, Leo will break the bank for a 4th liner, but he's a great add. Turris is the best of the lot, but Backlund would be more valuable... he fills a bigger need. But I'm more inclined to add more RH shots upfront.

Ideally I'd like to have 6 natural centers playing, 3-rightys, 3-leftys. With three of them capable of hard minutes, (two on the 4th line).

Defense- I'd sit Shatty down and tell him to step getting beat wide, or accept 3rd pair minutes 5v5 and all night on the PP. They need a stopper on the right side. Nothing fancy, just reliable.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is way too quick to say whether or not this team has to rebuild long term. I wouldn't make drastic moves just this second. Trading expiring contracts is fine, and maybe even Zucc or McDonagh, but we still have good pieces, and who knows whether or not a new coach might be the answer.

I think its looking like a long rebuild, and any changes to that timeline are dependent on some unexpected factors, like Chytil turning into a star player in the NHL, or we get lucky and draft one of these star players early in the draft. Maybe we even don't pick 1st or 2nd and get lucky with a star player with pick 4 or 5.

My point is that this team is definitely missing some key pieces. AV is a big problem, the system is a problem, but its also the personnel. The secondary pieces are there, but this team needs at least an 1C or some type of offensive star which could also be like an Ovechkin, Laine, Tarasenko type winger, another first pair defensemen and also better goaltending, although that should be solved from within in another year or two. Before we get that, I don't consider us a contender. Maybe we change the coach, the system, and we can make the playoffs as like a 7th or 8th seed one of the next two seasons with largely the same roster, but I still don't think we are up there with those top teams until we add some key pieces.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If we are building towards being a contender in 2-3 years, trading Kreider isn't a bad idea.

I don't think they're going to need that long. If they're in the same spot a year from now, you can revisit that trade then as well. Because if making a few tweaks is all this team needs to be in the thick of things again a year from now, we're going to wish we had someone like Kreider.

I think this year is the time to move Zuccarello. 1 year left after this one at good money would be a nice buy for a team right there on the cusp but needs a little more punch upfront. He is not a good option for a team needing a go to scorer, but I can see him doing well in an environment where he is the 3rd or 4th option.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Trade anyone/everyone 29 yrs or older, Nash, Zucc, Hank, Grabs, and yes Holden, dump Staal. Get some young and hungry pieces, picks, rebuild system, win cup

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
He's not the only one. They get their content from here and elsewhere, and people follow. It's a nice model. I actually built a network for Ranger fans last year as a bit of a protest against these boards. Still have the assets to do it again, some of the guys joined in but it needs much more effort than what I was able to put in last year.

The last line is what Joe Michaletti and Dave Maloney once said... Backcock, Quennville... it's the polar opposite of Torts.. and now the effects are there. But look I agree with the lack of talent, but it's the lack f effort and strategy that gets to me. They extended him too early. The Rangers don't do early extensions for players and it hurts the cap... but the one time they do it... they give it to the coach.

Petersson is a guy that I've been mentioning since earlier in the year. Very well thought of, over a PPG center in the AHL. Big 6'3" 215 LB Swede. Had a breakout year last year, and is getting better this year. Soderberg type player.

I'd go hard after Rousel, Leo will break the bank for a 4th liner, but he's a great add. Turris is the best of the lot, but Backlund would be more valuable... he fills a bigger need. But I'm more inclined to add more RH shots upfront.

Ideally I'd like to have 6 natural centers playing, 3-rightys, 3-leftys. With three of them capable of hard minutes, (two on the 4th line).

Defense- I'd sit Shatty down and tell him to step getting beat wide, or accept 3rd pair minutes 5v5 and all night on the PP. They need a stopper on the right side. Nothing fancy, just reliable.
I dig it. I'd maybe want another prospect or draft pick, especially if we retain salary on a deal involving Nash.

Smith was supposed to be that right sided defensive defenseman, but he showed up very out of shape. Not good. If you show up to start the season out of shape, you're chasing your tail for the entire rest of the season to catch up.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
All in for coach Q, but not sure why he leaves Chicago. Curious about Sutter. Don’t think Ruff is the answer and I think Gorton knows that too.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Edmonton does a first for Kreider my guess is it's lottery protected or has some other stipulation like 1 out of the next three year's traders digression or something like that. I can't think of too many times a team that was really struggling or not a sure fire thing to make the playoffs traded a lottery pick (Rangers for Bergeron back in the Esposito days and Toronto for Kessel).

Zuc is an interesting one. I think he's reached his peak. Not saying to trade him but what you see is what you get.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
All in for coach Q, but not sure why he leaves Chicago. Curious about Sutter. Don’t think Ruff is the answer and I think Gorton knows that too.

Coach Q has apparently been at odds with management.

I wouldn't be opposed to him at all, but I kind of want a fresh face to take over as the next coach.

Reactions: Avery16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad