Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
fresh meat:
1. Nash 7.8 exp reduced half = 3.9 + Grabner 1.65 exp + Gettinger 736,667 x 3 elc + NYR 2018 2nd = 6.286,667 cap
for
Puljujarvi .925 x 3+ conditional EDM 2018 1st + cap dump Fayne 3.625 expiring = 4.55 cap
1.736,667 cap add to Oil/savings to Rangers. Oiler 1st conditional on measured production.
Edm gets 2 guys who had 50 gs total last year, at no cost of assets currently on roster. With or without EDM 2018 1st, Pulji is a valued add prospect.
2. Smith 4.35 x 4, reduced almost half by 2.15 to 2.2, + Puljujarvi .925 x 3, + LD Alexei Bereglazov .925 = 2.175 + 1.85 = 5.35 total cap hit
for
Heiskanen .925 x 3 elc + Pitlick 1.0 + expiring cap dump Hamhuis 3.75 = 5.475
.885 cap add to Rangers/savings to Stars
While Heskanen surrender hurts, Stars get F drafted comparable position upgrade Pitlick, plus reduced Smith to replace Hamhuis, + Bereglazov, which helps current/future D depth. NYR get replacement for McD.
3. McD 4.7 x 2+ Zuc 4.5 x 2 + Andersson .925 x 3 + NYR 2020 1st = 9.15 cap
for
MacKinnon 6.3 x 6 cap + Colorado 2018 2nd
2.85 cap add to Avs/savings to Rangers
Avs get what is = to 5 firsts + value for top F. NYR overpay to bookend MacK w/Kreider.
4 DeAngelo 863,333 x 2 elc + Kampfer 650 x 2 + Sproul .625 x/RFA exp + NYR 2019 2nd = 2.138,333 cap
for
Sam Reinhart 894,167 expiring elc w/RFA + acceptable cap dunp Falk ,65 exp + Buf 2018 4th = 1.544,167
594,166 cap add to Sabres/savings to Rangers
Sabes can consider Reinhart surplus, and need RD, which they get here w/pick upgrade. Rangers get 2C
5. Staal 5.7 x 4 + Desharnais 1.0 + to Detroit and Rangers 2019 5th [total cap = 6.7]
for
Howard 5.291,667 x 2 + Helm at half reduced 3.85 to 1.925 + McIlrath .65 and Wings’ 2018 2nd [= total cap 7.866,667]
1.166,667 cap add to Rangers/savings to Red Wings
DRW get cap space, Staal playing well but they can buyout at favorable terms if necessary. NY moves NMC Staal [who accepts to get closer to home and avoid buyout] taking on cap for more manageable pieces and pick upgrade.
5. Pitlick 1.0 x 3 + Gropp 802,500 x 3 + Zborovsky .728,333 x 3 + Colorado 2018 2nd + DRW 2018 2nd + cap dump Helm [effectively] 1.925 x 4 = [4.430833 total cap]
to Canadiens for
Galchenyuk 4.9 x 3 [= 4.9 total cap]
569,167 cap add to Canadiens/savings to Rangers
Galy has higher potential but is playing bottom 6, believed due to coach conflict. 2 Fs who crack the lineup now, good prospect D, 2 2nd rounders bet. 32-50. NY gets potential
6. Buchenvich elc .925 x 2 + Fast 1.85 x 3 + Galchenyuk 4.9 x 3 + NYR 2019 1st
[= 7.675 cap]
for
McAvoy 916,667 x 2 and expiring cap dump(s) Chara 4.0 + Spooner 2.825
[= 7.741667 cap]
66,667 cap add to Canadiens/savings to Rangers
Bruins wince but say yes; 2 Fs to help Pasta, + solid 2 way W, + a 1st
Rangers swap F youth for RD

8 Howard to Vegas for a pick
MAF is out; Golden Knights want exp starter not long term.
9 Pavlec to Pitt for a pick
Penguins reportedly want stop gap.
10 move Holden, Hamhuis, Spooner for pick as rental also Chara if he prefers
let Fayne walk
next year
Kreider-Nieves-MacKinnon
Miller-Reinhart- Zib
Chytil - Hayes - Vesey
Leedahl - Lettieri - Fontaine

Skjei McAvoy
Heiskanen Shattenkirk
Graves Pionk
Day McIlrath
Gilmour/Pedrie
Hank-committee (Halverson/Georgiev/Hulska/Wall, etc. awaiting Shesty)

Reactions: Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I had no idea Boo was competing for a spot at D. I stand corrected.

You asked for five rookies who outplayed him.

That’s five. [Shrugs]

Also worth noting the Rangers carried an extra D, and a journeyman forward, rather than carry Boo as a center. So in a sense, yeah, he was competing against those guys.

At the end of the day it’s neither here nor there, because he is now here. But the original question was to name five rookies who outplayed him.

And they are all younger and less experienced than Nieves.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Holy **** that's terrible
Why?
you got borderline elite add, great use of currency, moving 2 guys who we can't afford to pay huge in 2 yrs. not crazy about adding LA and a 1st on top of that, but MacK is arguably 8-9m talent at 6.3 and creates synergy.

You can't expect everything to be a McDonagh swindle. Sometimes, a you take a loss to make a move. Other times, fair value is in order. But if you want top shelf, you need to pay top dollar. Be grateful I kept JT and Chytil etc off the table.

Feel free to make a counteroffer that you think Avalanche will seriously take less, but remember. MacK commands top $, competitive bid leaguewide. Price is NOT cheap.

Reactions: Ola

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

That’s five. [Shrugs]

Also worth noting the Rangers carried an extra D, and a journeyman forward, rather than carry Boo as a center. So in a sense, yeah, he was competing against those guys.

At the end of the day it’s neither here nor there, because he is now here. But the original question was to name five rookies who outplayed him.

Lol

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Boo lost out to DD, and only because DD lost out to Chytil/Miller. You take Chytil (who wasn’t ready) out of the equation, and DD likely starts as 3C, where he is right now. Boo then is 4C. Lettieri impressed, but he was never competing for 4C. He’ll either come up as a W or as 3C. Same Chytil, same with Andersson.

GMJG rushed to take DD, so as to minimize vacuum at pivot.
Would bet if he knew then what he knows now, he'd chance it and not sign or sign an alternate.

This Bizzaro universe AV is creating notwithstanding, DD does not beat out Boo, Lettieri or LA and AV for that matter.He'll get moved at best or not renewed at worst. He is not 2C, 3C or 4C.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

That’s five. [Shrugs]

Uhhh, just a guess here, but maybe they went with the extra D bc they had a D they were counting on to be top 4 show up to camp out of shape, and another pegged as top 6 not quite ready to be on the big club. But you seem to have a more holistic approach when it comes to D choices and F choices.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Jets fan coming in peace and positivity. But how do you guys like Pavelec?

He was not my first choice, but our goaltending coach guru Benoit Allaire apparently has done it again -- so far.
That said, I would move him for picks and play kids.
We need to recover from too many win now trades that cost us picks/futures.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Uhhh, just a guess here, but maybe they went with the extra D bc they had a D they were counting on to be top 4 show up to camp out of shape, and another pegged as top 6 not quite ready to be on the big club. But you seem to have a more holistic approach when it comes to D choices and F choices.

Perhaps.

But the fact still remains that he was arguably the sixth best rookie forward in camp and didn’t make the team.

Everything else can be debated, and we’d probably agree on a good chunk of it. But Boo didn’t really stand out in the preseason. With that said, it really doesn’t matter much now because this is his opportunity to seize a spot.

Regardless of what I think of his overall potential, I certainly hope he does.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Perhaps.

But the fact still remains that he was arguably the sixth best rookie forward in camp and didn’t make the team.

Everything else can be debated, and we’d probably agree on a good chunk of it. But Boo didn’t really stand out in the preseason. With that said, it really doesn’t matter much now because this is his opportunity to seize a spot.

Regardless of what I think of his overall potential, I certainly hope he does.
By the way, the Lettieri, Andersson, Nieves (and Pionk, since you’re counting D) cuts all happened the same day, so...
For that matter, DeAngelo played 39 games last season, and therefore cannot be considered “a rookie”. You’re left with Chytil.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Alright I need to find video of Kypreos/Friedman talking about EDM and Kreider being a possibility.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
By the way, the Lettieri, Andersson, Nieves (and Pionk, since you’re counting D) cuts all happened the same day, so...
For that matter, DeAngelo played 39 games last season, and therefore cannot be considered “a rookie”. You’re left with Chytil.

You asked for rookies who outperformed Nieves, not the order in which they were cut, nor for them to be strictly forwards.

And we’re officially stretching now.

I think we just also disqualify Chytil too because his surname contains the least amount of vowels of the rookie forwards in question.

And so I agree with you. Nieves was clearly the best rookie in the preseason....

If we don’t count everyone who was better.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
You asked for rookies who outperformed Nieves, not the order in which they were cut, nor for them to be strictly forwards.

And we’re officially stretching now.

I think we just also disqualify Chytil too because his surname contains the least amount of vowels of the rookie forwards in question.

And so I agree with you. Nieves was clearly the best rookie in the preseason....

If we don’t count everyone who was better.
I said specifically Nieves was one of the very last cuts. That’s objective, and true. You’re using... the eye test?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Skjei McAvoy
Heiskanen Shattenkirk
Graves Pionk
Day McIlrath
Gilmour/Pedrie
Hank-committee (Halverson/Georgiev/Hulska/Wall, etc. awaiting Shesty)

all that and you can't throw us an nhl backup in one of those?

maybe try McIlrath there, might be his only chance at being an NHLer

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The problem with a Kreider trade (outside of the obvious issue being he should not be traded) is that they have no one to replace him with

I mean Buch can take his minutes but we are weak on wing if Kreider goes. Unless the plan is to get a winger back.

It would be an endless circle to strengthen one area of the team and weakening another. They moved Stepan to fix the defense, and now we have a hole at center. They move Kreider to fix the hole at center, now there is a hole at wing

Reactions: bernmeister

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The question was never about cuts, but sure. No argument there.

But yeah, based on the eye and production test, he ranked sixth out of the rookies I saw.

And if you don’t want to count ADA because he played 40 NHL games last year, and we want to go with straight up NHL rookie rules and not HF prospect standards, that’s cool.

And if you don’t want to count Pionk because he plays defense, or Andersson because he was cut the same day, or Lettieri because he’s a wing, that’s fine too.

Clearly you like him, or at least thought he showed more this preseason than I and others did. That’s awesome.

[Shrugs] What am I gonna do?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Thanks PB for posting this; now I know who to yell at.
Hey, Tom Urtz Jr. - I see you 'wonder'ing without any acknowledgment that Kreider is NOT being moved without MASSIVE overpayment.
Propaganda like yours is not constructive.

And further, stop empowering AV.
He's a total idiot.
In a power conflict between the 2, AV goes and Kreider stays
Book it.
GMJG knows what he is doing and the 1-2 people over him hopefully are not stupid enough to override him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad