Roster Building Thread: Part VII (2023-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
There’s something about this photo I love.

Could be wrong, but I never really saw a galvanized group of coaches with Gallant or Quinn or even AV’s crew. Always seemed to be mostly a one man show.

This crew looks ready to lay down the law.

1695174245870.jpeg

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW Arntsen and McCleary are already 20 years old. They might not have any options of going back to the CHL. Neither are very likely to play in Hartford this year and will at best sign AHL deals and play in the ECHL. McNamara can go back to his CHL team. Rangers are also thinner on prospect D than on prospect forwards so they might rather give a longer look at someone like Petrovski who a lot of people thought might have been a late round draft pick last year. He will also eventually return to his CHL team......even if the Rangers were to sign him which isn't likely. As for McCue he's another 20 yaar old. He wasn't a big producer for his OHL team. He's also another player who will maybe go the route of an AHL deal and play in the ECHL.

These are all guys who are really long shots to become NHL players...longer perhaps than some of our other long shots. It's a really big jump from the CHL where all these guys played to the AHL let alone a massive jump to the NHL. The Rangers wouldn't have them at their camp if there wasn't some interest in them but that doesn't mean they're going to get NHL contracts.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I would have envisioned him in the top-9 with Vesey pushing down

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Wheeler
Kreider-Trochek-Kaako
Panarin-Chytil-Heinen
Goodrow-Bonino-Vesey

Cuylee and Othmaan will get looks

Plus by the deadline they will add a vet rental F to push Pitlick down

Reactions: egelband

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I don’t know if this is fully true. Penguins best years were with Kessel and Hagelin on the third line behind Sid and Geno’s lines. Phil is certainly not “third line” type but the luxury of having that type of player on the third line is certainly something that can be a positive even in the right checking playoffs. Plus Wheeler could play third line since he has more of a “third line style” with his size, and Kane and Kakko can play in the top six. Realistically, the wings should be fluid and you can move all of them up and down. Kane at 1M or less is still a worthwhile addition.
Weird example as a counter in my opinion. Hags and Kessel aren’t physical players but they were amongst the fastest skaters in the league and were certainly the type that keep the opposing defense on their heels/under duress. This current iteration of Kane isn’t doing that.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks didn't say much.

The Rangers will measure their kids during camp while installing systems for the varsity. Power-play and penalty-kill concepts will be introduced. Players adapt to their third coach in four years.

That’s what training camp will be about with a roster as locked as anytime in franchise history. You’d almost think last year’s team won something.

Will Jones get a fair shot for the 3rd pair spot? Vince discussed Jones on his podcast last week. He feels Gustafsson is the preferred choice. Wonderful. A 31 year old journeyman defenseman. Vince talked to some league people for his Rangers top 10 prospects list. Other teams do like Jones. Vince said someone told him Jones would be a regular D on 70% of the NHL teams. Drury should have no trouble getting value back for Jones if he is a top 6 D on 21-22 NHL teams.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Brooks didn't say much.

Will Jones get a fair shot for the 3rd pair spot? Vince discussed Jones on his podcast last week. He feels Gustafsson is the preferred choice. Wonderful. A 31 year old journeyman defenseman. Vince talked to some league people for his Rangers top 10 prospects list. Other teams do like Jones. Vince said someone told him Jones would be a regular D on 70% of the NHL teams. Drury should have no trouble getting value back for Jones if he is a top 6 D on 21-22 NHL teams.

If Zac Jones cannot beat out a 31-year old journeyman defenseman, should we really be that upset he's not making the team?

Reactions: McRanger92

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
If Zac Jones cannot beat out a 31-year old journeyman defenseman, should we really be that upset he's not making the team?
If Zac Jones isn't given the proper opportunity to beat out the 31 year old journeyman we should be.

What does a proper opportunity look like? 3rd pair and 2nd PP unit QB.

What they'll most likely do? Bench him most of the game, scratch him after that, and decide that's all she wrote and get a 3rd or 4th round pick and some junk in return.

It's pretty pathetic that after being a Rangers fan for so long the script is always on repeat. They're as predictable as moon phases.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If Zac Jones isn't given the proper opportunity to beat out the 31 year old journeyman we should be.

What does a proper opportunity look like? 3rd pair and 2nd PP unit QB.

What they'll most likely do? Bench him most of the game, scratch him after that, and decide that's all she wrote and get a 3rd or 4th round pick and some junk in return.

It's pretty pathetic that after being a Rangers fan for so long the script is always on repeat. They're as predictable as moon phases.

Players haven't even hit the ice for an official practice yet can we cool it with the hysterics? Jones wasn't given a fair shake by Gallant imo, but he also has not looked like anything special in the games he's played. Gustafsson had 42 points in 70 games playing a 3rd pair powerplay role for Laviolette's team last year. He's perfectly capable. Plus the Rangers are due for injuries on defense this year. Outside of Lindgren being banged up on a few occasions, no one has missed any extended time. We're going to need more than 6 guys who can take a shift on D.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Neither Jones or Gustafsson are particularly good on the defensive side of the puck. Erik is somewhat bigger and stronger. He also put up 42 points of NHL offense last year compared to Jones's 35 points of AHL offense. Gustafsson also played for Laviolette last year. Jones is going to have his work cut out for him and honestly he's pretty much the same kind of player that Nils Lundqvist is (only a left shot) and Nils is still to struggling to find his way.

I don't see Zac as a good 7D option but he will have to go through waivers to go to Hartford this year. There's some thought that he would be snatched up on waivers but a team would almost have to be convinced he'd move into their regular rotation and I'm not sure if waived he will be picked up by another team. For all but a very few it's not easy to become an NHL defenseman. My guess is Gustafsson becomes our 6 D and one of Harpur/Mackey is the 7D. Jones goes to Hartford or is grabbed on waivers and if not probably traded out of the organization before the season is up.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Neither Jones or Gustafsson are particularly good on the defensive side of the puck. Erik is somewhat bigger and stronger. He also put up 42 points of NHL offense last year compared to Jones's 35 points of AHL offense. Gustafsson also played for Laviolette last year. Jones is going to have his work cut out for him and honestly he's pretty much the same kind of player that Nils Lundqvist is (only a left shot) and Nils is still to struggling to find his way.

I don't see Zac as a good 7D option but he will have to go through waivers to go to Hartford this year. There's some thought that he would be snatched up on waivers but a team would almost have to be convinced he'd move into their regular rotation and I'm not sure if waived he will be picked up by another team. For all but a very few it's not easy to become an NHL defenseman. My guess is Gustafsson becomes our 6 D and one of Harpur/Mackey is the 7D. Jones goes to Hartford or is grabbed on waivers and if not probably traded out of the organization before the season is up.

I foresee Jones getting moved for a forward in a similar position suffering from a team's roster crunch. Don't think Drury will be too concerned about waiving guys like Riley Nash or Belzile if a better option presents itself. I'm also of the opinion that the Rangers have high hopes for Robertson because of his size and Emberson because of his defensive play, and theyve passed Zac on the long term depth chart. The Nils-Jones comparison is pretty spot on too.

Reactions: eco's bones

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Rangers will not sign lose Jones for nothing. If they see value even if its only a 4th or 5th round pick, he will be dealt.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

I like Jones, but I agree. I think the organization should be looking to trade him. Like you said, that 6th spot is Gustafsson's to lose. Mackey brings a different element if they need some physicality/size. Looking at teams depth charts there's several teams I could envision claiming Jones on waivers. Välimäki was a no brainer last season... Chicago is incredibly thin on D, with no one really in the mold of Z. Jones.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Jones, but I agree. I think the organization should be looking to trade him. Like you said, that 6th spot is Gustafsson's to lose. Mackey brings a different element if they need some physicality/size. Looking at teams depth charts there's several teams I could envision claiming Jones on waivers. Välimäki was a no brainer last season... Chicago is incredibly thin on D, with no one really in the mold of Z. Jones.

The thing with Mackey or Harpur is it's okay not to play them much. Both of those guys when they're in the NHL like Hajek have had periods where they were scratched all the time. They are what they are. They're both also bigger and aren't going to play outside their skill level when they do get in. Easier for Schneider to pair with than Jones or Gustafsson who he's pretty much going to ride shotgun for. Jones is still a refining and developing player. He needs to play if he's ever going to reach his potential. Even at the AHL level his biggest strength his offense could easily reach another level. Signing him towards the end of his college year 20-21 wasn't maybe the smartest move because if we'd waited longer he'd be still waiver eligible. He wasn't as ready as Rangers management thought.

All that said though it's not like Jones has no chance to beat out Gustafsson. That's what training camp is about. It's just that I think the odds are against him kind of like they're against guys like Cuylle, Othmann, Garand right now.

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad