Roster Building Thread: Part VII (2023-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Jonathan Quick’s new challenge: being Rangers’ backup goalie

To me, this reads like Quick hasn't "bought in" to the Allaire system. Maybe he thinks it's optional because of his own experience.

To that end, Quick, who has settled in with his wife and three children in Greenwich, Conn., has been working at the rink for a stretch with head goaltending coach Benoit Allaire.

“I’ve been fortunate to work with him a few times over the past couple of weeks and get his take on how he wants goalies to play,” said Quick, whose stick save at the net on Mats Zuccarello in Game 3 of the 2014 Cup final may still trigger nightmares among Rangers fans. “There have been great conversations back and forth, my reads and his reads.

“I’m looking forward to working with him.”

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are exceptions but when you look around the league you're a lot more likely to find hockey grunts in NHL coaching and assistant coaching positions than star players. Star players don't usually make very good head coaches. If a player is a creative player it's work but it's also something innate within that player that sets him apart from other players and it's not something that's very easy to pass on to others....it's almost impossible. That said your 3rd/4th line player---sometimes the guys knocking around the minors or colleges/CHL however talented are soaking in their hockey experiences in different ways just to keep their hockey dreams alive. They might not be able to perform at the highest level but their experiences of winning/losing can be more expansive just in understanding the smaller things it takes to win.

When we're talking about Rupp---he's been around the game a long time. He has a myriad of experiences. Was on a bunch of teams. He's never been into coaching so I wouldn't go down that route with him but that doesn't mean he's completely clueless when talking about the game.

When we're talking about coaching a player after he retires has to make a real commitment to it. It's not something that one is very likely going to start off in the NHL and go from there. One works his way up and even Martin St. Louis who was a great player started out coaching youth teams. It might take years/decades for a coach to make it to the NHL even in an assistant coaching position. I remember Jacques Lemaire another great player coaching Division 3 college teams in upstate NY.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Panarin-Chytil-Wheeler is an interesting look today. Two perimeter wingers and a triggerman. Chytil better ice his wrists because he'll be taking a lot of shots with those two.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State

To me, this reads like Quick hasn't "bought in" to the Allaire system. Maybe he thinks it's optional because of his own experience.
how in the world do you surmise from that article that Quick hasn't bought in to the Allaire system?

“I’ve been fortunate to work with him a few times over the past couple of weeks and get his take on how he wants goalies to play,"

“There have been great conversations back and forth, my reads and his reads."

These quotes say to you that he hasnt bought in?

Oh, great. Please tell me we can send him to the A if we have to?
and you agree with his take? Or didnt you actually read the article?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
how in the world do you surmise from that article that Quick hasn't bought in to the Allaire system?

“I’ve been fortunate to work with him a few times over the past couple of weeks and get his take on how he wants goalies to play,"

I’m reading between the lines. “My reads and his reads”, “I’m looking forward to working with him” sounds to me like Quick thinks he’s on even footing with Allaire. “His take on how he wants goalies to play” sounds to me like Quick thinks Allaire’s opinion is just one to be considered among others.

This is not the tone you want to hear from a player working with one of the best positional coaches in the game. It’s not the same as Hank sounded talking about Allaire.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I’m reading between the lines. “My reads and his reads”, “I’m looking forward to working with him” sounds to me like Quick thinks he’s on even footing with Allaire. “His take on how he wants goalies to play” sounds to me like Quick thinks Allaire’s opinion is just one to be considered among others.

This is not the tone you want to hear from a player working with one of the best positional coaches in the game. It’s not the same as Hank sounded talking about Allaire.
Because hank came up with allaire, and quick didn’t.
There’s a huge difference in the level of trust.

Reactions: Mandar

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Because hank came up with allaire, and quick didn’t.
There’s a huge difference in the level of trust.
I don’t care who you are and what you’ve done. Players are not on even footing with coaches, especially not one like Allaire.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We’re worrying about the backup goalie not being deferential enough, in interviews, to a goalie coach... the f***ing season needs to start… STAT.
Yes let’s get back to our analysis of the fourth line center’s facial hair. I’m sorry to have distracted from this important discussion.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not sure if it was in the thread but I decided to do a poll on Xitter

I think I said fire him immediately after the press conference. You're not an assistant! You're acting Captain when the captain is not available because you're viewed as a leader - an alternate captain. #rant

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
It’s always been Assistant
I live in Canada trust me lol
1695397353250.png

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Reading between the lines is a massive understatement for what you did there. You took simple innocuous comments and filled in basically the most unfavorable analysis of them as humanly possible.

Quick is a 15 year veteran in the NHL, he's a 37 year old man, I would full expect him to say he looks forward to working with his coaches, in what way does that indicate he thinks he's on the same footing as Allaire? How is that your interpretation of that sentence?

"My reads and his reads" - you realize Quick is the player right? Is he not supposed to have his own thoughts about how he should approach something? Do you think Igor or Hank were 100% submissive to Benny and they let Benny basically control them completely?

“His take on how he wants goalies to play” again this is a new player to the team who has worked with countless goalie coaches in his career and he knows all goalie coaches do things differently and he's acknowledging that Allaire has his own opinions and style for his goalies to play - again, how is your interpretation of that statement as negative as it is?

All of these comments sound to me like a veteran player talking very boringly to the media and giving pretty stock, boiler plate answers.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

Yeah, that's my bad. Out here trying to trust Mf's.

Though I do not have confidence in his ability to be a sufficient enough backup for our golden boy.

I hope he proves me wrong, we kinda need him too.

Reactions: Mandar

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Let's give Glen a bit more credit than that, his middling track record in NY aside.

One thing has always been true about Glen, for better or (in my opinion, more often) for worse - he loves giving "second chances". MacTavish, Tibbetts, Avery, etc. No surprise he wanted Babcock, and thank god it didn't happen.

Sorry, can't do it. Amazing is 1000% spot on.

Overrated as f*** when he was hired. Dis nothing of note prior to the lockout and stepped in shit again when Jagr forced his way here.

"If I had the NYR payroll, I'd never miss the Playoffs"

What a f***ing joke this man was/is

That prompts an interesting question- do the Oilers win cups without Wayne? It's still a stacked roster.

Yes. They won one w/o Gretzky

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I find this discussion curious as it's not like Allaire is going to change anything about Quick's style.

All Allaire is going to do, at this point in Quicks career, is help Quick with sharpening some of his already diminished skill set.

Quick is what he is. A fading goalie wrapping up a nice career, here to say he donned a Rangers Jersey. I expect a sub .905 save percentage. A mid to high GAA and at least 1 stop on the IR

Reactions: Avery16

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So apparently we brought Adam Clendening back on a PTO. Cool. Liked him when he was here. Good add for Hartford if he signs.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino