Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It’s funny, there was a perception that Lindgren was a borderline prospect and Hajek was a better one.

I never saw it that way based on their draft positions and progress to that point, and I can’t say I ever heard anyone in the organization express that view either.

It feels like it’s one of those narratives that started somewhere and no one really knows how it started or why.
Chatter in and around the Bruins had Lindgren as a somewhat disappointing prospect. This was probably based on less than glowing reports from his UM play. The Gophers were notorious under Don Lucia for being lousy at player development. The Rangers got him out of there as quick as they could and his development continues to where now he is a card carrying top 4 NHL defenseman.

Hajek vs. Lindgren is also a stunning reminder that players develop at different times and in different ways and that draft position is not an absolute on where a player will eventually net out.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Lindgren also has had the benefit of playing with Adam Fox. Not saying Fox 'made' Lindgren, just saying that familiarity, chemistry, and especially with a superstar can help a young player a lot.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Lindgren also has had the benefit of playing with Adam Fox. Not saying Fox 'made' Lindgren, just saying that familiarity, chemistry, and especially with a superstar can help a young player a lot.

I think it also shows the chemistry and players complimenting each others style is important...its not always as simple as the 12 most talented forwards and the 6 most talent dmen to assemble the best team. sometimes guys just fit together and work

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
But… didnt Fox put up career numbers while paired with Lindgren? :sarcasm:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Same goes the other way. Having a steady partner like Lindgren allowed for Fox to play and develop his game.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
lol I know what you're getting at, but to be clear, I love Lindgren and thinks he's a good player in his own right.

Yep. But he's ideally a second pairing guy. There have been a decent number of occasions this season where he looked a little bit out of his depth against star players.

It's too bad Lindgren-Trouba hasn't worked so far because if Miller becomes what he can be I think Miller-Fox will be our go to pairing moving forward.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Howden was a Ranger draft pick and not acquired in the McDonagh trade there would be a lot less angst about his play.

Nevertheless, I do think he is a candidate to be moved in a player for player change of scenery trade. Especially when Chytil is available to return.

No there wouldn't.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Anyone else feel like Bennett has quickly become the most wildly overrated player on HF? The guys being scratched and has 1 point this year. Sure, I’d take him for a price, but he’s more likely to become a 4th line wing than a 3C. I can’t believe people are talking about a deal around Bennett and Buchnevich. Not a bad player, but he doesn’t deserve to be yearned for by every team in the sport.
But have you seen his YouTube video?!
joking aside I wouldn’t mind him on the team. But I think it has more to do with Rangers getting something for ADA( this includes throwing Buch’s name around) instead of nothing and flames fans wanting nothing to do with Tony. I’ll say other teams fans using Bennett as a example so any player on there team who’s been scratched is a over payment for Tony. Maybe I’m over thinking it ?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Chemistry born out of a long relationship. Teammates and defense partners on US Junior teams and WJC. Perfectly matched partners.

And I haven’t seen Lindgren out of his depth very often this year.

Remarkable that 3 of the Rangers top 4 defensemen have played less than 100 NHL games. And they are more than holding their own.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If Howden was a Ranger draft pick and not acquired in the McDonagh trade there would be a lot less angst about his play.

Nevertheless, I do think he is a candidate to be moved in a player for player change of scenery trade. Especially when Chytil is available to return.

I don't think there is anyone on this team with lower expectations. Posters seem to be universally hoping he can stick as a 4th liner. There don't seem to be any delusions about who he is or should be.

He's just been bad. I think everyone would sign up for a solid 4C from him right now. I doubt you'd get anyone saying that's disappointing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Chatter in and around the Bruins had Lindgren as a somewhat disappointing prospect. This was probably based on less than glowing reports from his UM play. The Gophers were notorious under Don Lucia for being lousy at player development. The Rangers got him out of there as quick as they could and his development continues to where now he is a card carrying top 4 NHL defenseman.

Hajek vs. Lindgren is also a stunning reminder that players develop at different times and in different ways and that draft position is not an absolute on where a player will eventually net out.

And in that same vein, that's how we got McD from Montreal.

He was seen as having a good, but not necessarily great college career by many observers, with some disappointment that his offense hadn't come as a result of his perceived skating and smarts.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
And in that same vein, that's how we got McD from Montreal.

He was seen as having a good, but not necessarily great college career by many observers, with some disappointment that his offense hadn't come as a result of his perceived skating and smarts.

As opposed to teammate Brendan Smith who was an NCAA superstar.

This is why I ramble on and on as an NCAA fan about how stats mean very little- unless it's a star forward prospect that just isn't scoring. You have to watch the games. Im sure the canadian juniors are the same way, I just never had time or interest to watch.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think there is anyone on this team with lower expectations. Posters seem to be universally hoping he can stick as a 4th liner. There don't seem to be any delusions about who he is or should be.

He's just been bad. I think everyone would sign up for a solid 4C from him right now. I doubt you'd get anyone saying that's disappointing.

I think most people want players to succeed.

I also believe there are some posters, not many, but a vocal few, who get to the point where they actively start rooting against players. It really does become their fixation. At some point the desire changes from outcomes, to being "right" about something.

It's not necessarily about Howden, or another player, it's just kind of their thing.

And look, let's be honest, we have some legitimate assholes on here too. Let's not kid ourselves with the kumbaya shit. Everyone knows who they are, and they either ignore them, or just roll their eyes and bitch about them on the side.

Until we ever get to the point where we're allowed to vote people off the island, it is what is. So you just smile and wave.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This sounds like solid idea for a web series, someone should get this off the ground

I've been half-jokingly suggesting it for a while now.

And to be clear, it's not as simple as liking a player or disliking a player. That's fine.

It's the people where we all pretty much know, regardless of differences of opinion, "yeah, this one's a bit of an asshole."

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Chemistry born out of a long relationship. Teammates and defense partners on US Junior teams and WJC. Perfectly matched partners.

Remarkable that 3 of the Rangers top 4 defensemen have played less than 100 NHL games. And they are more than holding their own.

That argument about chemistry loses a little something when we remember that skjei and trouba were WJC and USDT partners.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

If we *had* drafted him in the same spot Tampa did, we'd absolutely be screaming about another wasted 1st round pick.

Additional thoughts: I know we had no pick in 2016 until the 3rd round, but man, we totally wiffed that draft, with only Wall and Tarmo looking like anything.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have not seen him out of his depth at all. Sure, some games will be better than others, but his level of play has been as steady as it gets, regardless of the level of competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad