Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If we *had* drafted him in the same spot Tampa did, we'd absolutely be screaming about another wasted 1st round pick.

I think some would.

I think the board is probably more okay with Howden than it isn't.

I think the people who tend to be vocal, are the ones who are going to vocal no matter what. You just change the name of the player. For them, part of their fan experience really is honing in on a player. You see it in every sport.

And it's not that everyone loves every player, so much as they really can't go more than a day or two without going there. Psychologically it's real need for them, like having a smoke, or checking Facebook. It fills that need for them.

The thing with message boards is that when you have a handful of people like that, they tend to feed off each other and make it seem louder than it is.

It's basically the same thing you see in municipal meetings, or school board meetings, or things of that nature. There's always going to be the gadflys. So the board tends to reflect that same approach.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
And look, let's be honest, we have some legitimate assholes on here too. Let's not kid ourselves with the kumbaya shit. Everyone knows who they are, and they either ignore them, or just roll their eyes and bitch about them on the side.
fb4e07ea3c37c426dd0a2b3344b1ff85.jpg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As opposed to teammate Brendan Smith who was an NCAA superstar.

This is why I ramble on and on as an NCAA fan about how stats mean very little- unless it's a star forward prospect that just isn't scoring. You have to watch the games. Im sure the canadian juniors are the same way, I just never had time or interest to watch.

And there's a prime example, within the same team.

Hell even Justin Schultz became a college free agent rock star for a summer.

Reactions: Cag29

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I'm vocal about Howden because I hated that trade from day 1, thought it was extremely light, and baffled me about the Miller/Namey part of the deal.

That was the biggest chip we had and got 45 cents on the dollar

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
As someone who has been vocal this season about my frustration with Howden, I would love absolutely nothing more than to see him start to play better and cement himself as a 4C or even a 3C. My frustration is because I see a lot of the same issues in his game that have been there since day 1. Also with Quinn seemingly giving him more responsibility that his play has warranted, IMO of course (and not counting now where he's playing up due to injury).

I certainly am NOT rooting for the player to fail just so I can be right, what kind of thought process is that? I want every player on the Rangers to be the best that they can be because I want the Rangers to win every game that they play. Howden even becoming a Brian Boyle type (solid 4th liner and PKer) would be great and I would never complain about him.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I like Howden and have no issue with him in the bottom six, but only three of Strome, Buchnevich, Lemieux, Howden and Gauthier will be protected from Seattle.

I would protect Buch, Howden and Lemieux. Does FO feel the same? Tough to say.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'm vocal about Howden because I hated that trade from day 1, thought it was extremely light, and baffled me about the Miller/Namey part of the deal.

That was the biggest chip we had and got 45 cents on the dollar

so you hate howden because JG was unable to make a non-existent and unrealistic trade that you imagined in your mind? and not mad at the GM, mad at howden? and then even more insane is that you say it as if its a logical and rational explanation

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
so you hate howden because JG was unable to make a non-existent and unrealistic trade that you imagined in your mind? and not mad at the GM, mad at howden? and then even more insane is that you say it as if its a logical and rational explanation

I'm all of the above mad about that trade. Never said I was being logical. I am a fan.

So get off your high-horse.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Posts like this is why I’m quickly losing faith in humanity.

Lol. Why? Because I admit I have an opinion that I clearly have a bias towards?

I hated the Mcdonagh deal and own it, even if it has faults in it.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Aww, you still have faith left to lose? I miss those days...

Please. I'm a school bus driver. Thirty seven hours a week I see a lot of crazy shit.

Lost faith in humanity?

You know that meme that says "I have so little faith in humanity I look the wrong way down a one way street before pulling out in the intersection."? Yeah, I live that, literally every day. It's not a joke, its dead-on balls accurate.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I think some would.

I think the board is probably more okay with Howden than it isn't.

I think the people who tend to be vocal, are the ones who are going to vocal no matter what. You just change the name of the player. For them, part of their fan experience really is honing in on a player. You see it in every sport.

And it's not that everyone loves every player, so much as they really can't go more than a day or two without going there. Psychologically it's real need for them, like having a smoke, or checking Facebook. It fills that need for them.

The thing with message boards is that when you have a handful of people like that, they tend to feed off each other and make it seem louder than it is.

It's basically the same thing you see in municipal meetings, or school board meetings, or things of that nature. There's always going to be the gadflys. So the board tends to reflect that same approach.

I don't post here a lot, but I don't wish Howden or any other player here any ill will. Has his career with the Rangers been a disappointment, considering where he was drafted and who he was acquired for, probably. Has he been used appropriately? I don't get to watch a lot of NYR games, so I can't really answer that; a lot of people on here say no. He being a Tampa Bay draft pick, I didn't follow him that closely, or at all. Hopefully, he becomes a useful player or can be used as part of a package that can get the Rangers a piece they need for the next hopefully extensive playoff runs.

Players develop at their own pace; some just can't get to that next level. Howden will fall into one of those categories. Hopefully it works out for the best.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
So, as many can tell my posts, I'm very intrigued by the business side of sports, I've been tracking my 49ers salary cap since 2005, have gotten myself some serious recognition, but for the Rangers, we have some upcoming RFAs, I'm wondering what people think they're worth?

Pavel Buchnevich
Filip Chytil
Julien Gauthier
Brett Howden
Ryan Lindgren
Libor Hajek
Igor Shesterkin

Those are our RFAs currently on the Rangers squad, I know we have players in the minors who will be RFAs or UFAs, just wondering where these guys, especially Buch, Lindgren, & Igor will likely get one multi year deals? Does anyone see them trying to get these signed for longer than 2yrs? I'd imagine Buch wants long term stability. Lindgren & Igor are younger, but I think it'd be wise to try and lock them up on longer deals while the money could be cheaper.

Of course after next season, the main RFAs are.

Brendan Lemieux
Kaapo Kakko
Adam Fox
Alexandar Georgiev

Mika is a UFA, I really hope Mika can break out soon, get out of this slump he's on.

I know some weren't keen on Kreider's deal, maybe not here, but elsewhere around the internet, but he's been really really good this year. But let's hope Alexis, Kakko, Krav, K'Andre, Lindgren, Fox, Nils, and others continue to develop, I really want to see Nils and Krav on this team next season.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Please. I'm a school bus driver. Thirty seven hours a week I see a lot of crazy shit.

Lost faith in humanity?

You know that meme that says "I have so little faith in humanity I look the wrong way down a one way street before pulling out in the intersection."? Yeah, I live that, literally every day. It's not a joke, its dead-on balls accurate.

Haha, I can only imagine. I drive a commercial truck around LI, my will is tested daily.

Reactions: White Death 24

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I’ll throw this back out there After looking around at some of the players on the block or thought to be on the block. I was looking at Vancouver whom is really struggling and might be in the need of a shake up and needs help on defense. Could they be a team looking at ADA ? Doubt it but I’ll throw this offer out there.

ADA
Goat
Buffalo’s 3rd pick—most likely higher then ours in the draft.

For

Virtanen
Gaudette
Benn
Vancouver’s 2rd pick

Virtanen and Gaudette are both RFA—Benn will be a UFA. Benn replaces Libor/Smith/Johnson on the third pair.
Virtanen needs a change of scenery. Gaudette could be a sleeper at center for us.

Vancouver gets ADA to run their PP with Hughes or their number 2 PP. Goat whom I like but will never get a chance with Quinn gives Vancouver a replacement for either Gaudette on the wing or Virtanen’s spot.

Fill of picks is for helping Vancouver cover their cap space issue.

Problem child for problem child plus some extras thrown in to make it a value for both teams.

Cap space is really close approx 5.5 leaving Vancouver and 5.4 going in.

I wish we could fill ADA for Bennett but that doesn’t seem to be on Calgary’s wish list.

Ok is this a fair offer ?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’ll throw this back out there After looking around at some of the players on the block or thought to be on the block. I was looking at Vancouver whom is really struggling and might be in the need of a shake up and needs help on defense. Could they be a team looking at ADA ? Doubt it but I’ll throw this offer out there.

ADA
Goat
Buffalo’s 3rd pick—most likely higher then ours in the draft.

For

Virtanen
Gaudette
Benn
Vancouver’s 2rd pick

Virtanen and Gaudette are both RFA—Benn will be a UFA. Benn replaces Libor/Smith/Johnson on the third pair.
Virtanen needs a change of scenery. Gaudette could be a sleeper at center for us.

Vancouver gets ADA to run their PP with Hughes or their number 2 PP. Goat whom I like but will never get a chance with Quinn gives Vancouver a replacement for either Gaudette on the wing or Virtanen’s spot.

Fill of picks is for helping Vancouver cover their cap space issue.

Problem child for problem child plus some extras thrown in to make it a value for both teams.

Cap space is really close approx 5.5 leaving Vancouver and 5.4 going in.

I wish we could fill ADA for Bennett but that doesn’t seem to be on Calgary’s wish list.

Ok is this a fair offer ?

I would do this. Doubt the Nucks do.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
This team really needs to dial-in on central positioning and physical presence in the slot offensively. There has been far too many situations this season where shots land just-ahead of the blue paint and are immediately handled by an opposing player set readily ten-foot from the net despite them being flanked by two Ranger's forwards. There needs to be some mechanism of separation/distraction ahead of their goaltender, and it had been assumed for the past five years or so that Chris Kreider would be the one to fulfill that responsibility to some extent...

I'm not necessarily flaming 20, but he has fledged a respectable skill-set throughout his career and his proven qualities in the slot has been virtually nonexistent so far. Kakko has made good efforts, but he has yet to control the puck consistently in the crease before it's tracked by the goalie. There is simply too much swarming after the fact, and not enough effort toward misdirection from the point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad