Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I have zero issue benching a player who isn't trying out there.

The cause is having to live and work in Columbus.

Seems like a pretty stupid reason to bench him. Why not talk to him during the game and tell him to get his act together and if he doesn't then tell him he's getting benched. Doesn't seem to make sense to bench arguably your best forward for 50 minutes of the game. And maybe he did already talk to him but in five shifts?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What about Torts, is he not contracted to manage the bench of this team? Doesn't look like thats being done to the fullest extent of his abilities either. If this was the first player who wanted out of there id agree but the list is long, the team needs to evaluate the cause and fix it or they will never be a contender.

Last night was not the first time this season that PLD mailed in his effort.

The win against Det. Where PLD even scored the GW was equally atrocious.

The coach IS coaching, its 100% incumbent on the player to give a full honest effort if not for the franchise, then at least for the 19 guys on the bench.

Reactions: haveandare

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Seems like a pretty stupid reason to bench him. Why not talk to him during the game and tell him to get his act together and if he doesn't then tell him he's getting benched. Doesn't seem to make sense to bench arguably your best forward for 50 minutes of the game. And maybe he did already talk to him but in five shifts?

I'd bet Torts laid it out when the trade request became public that he wasn't going to take any less than 100%.

Even still, that shift from a guy who usually plays a fairly gritty game was absolutely pathetic. Completely gave up when he got double teamed with the puck in the offensive zone. He certainly wasn't playing like their best forward.

Reactions: haveandare

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I agree.

Torts is right about at the point where those around him start to not be able to stand him anymore. In turn, they start tuning him out, which raises his ire, which usually only serves to disintegrate the relationship that much faster.

There's no excuse for DLP's play the other night, and other teams will take notice of that --- especially when it comes to the price. But Torts also has a way of adding fuel to fires.

This is a bad romance that is going to come to an end sooner rather than later.
Are you aware if we are actually involved in this? I wonder if this will turn into a tipping point for them with other players that will be due for contracts in the next few years and may want out like jones and werenski

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I call bullshit.

Anyone that is not trying is not playing.

ESPECIALLY when that guy wants out.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I call bullshit.

Is the coaches job not to...try and make him try? So how about talking to him after that one lazy play. If he does it again he's benched. If he doesn't then you got your 1C playing.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I'm not making excuses for Kakko, but...
He had an insane draft year. Probably played too much hockey before he jumped into the NHL meat grinder. He learned on the fly with linemates ill equipped to carry him. He is 3 games into a new season after finally resting. Yes, we are 18 months from him playing outstanding hockey so it's hard to feel confident as fans. But it's 3 games since he played under ideal circumstances.

On PLD/Torts. I don't think there is evidence that this is a player looking for a divorce on these grounds. The media jumped to that conclusion and its rooted now.

Friedman had some interesting, I guess he calls it speculation. But I think he won't say its chatter based on the possible repercussions. He pointed out that everything was fine in CLB until Dubois spoke with other teams during free agency. Then the trade demand developed. Friedman, on several pods and 31 Thoughts, has referenced this fact pattern.

So we know that PLD wants a "bigger stage". Word is building that he wants to play in Montreal. He wasn't disgruntled until he spoke with teams over the summer. He is tanking his value and forcing a trade. That's not enough to prove tampering and collusion, but Friedman seems to be pointing to signs leading to that possibility.

Reactions: Cmox

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Strome, Kravstov protected 1st for dubois.

Nils to LA for one of their top 6 center prospects.

Center depth solved. And if eichel becomes available, PLD is a good starting point.
I like the PLD offer. Not a huge fan of losing Lundqvist.

Would Montreal be interested in moving Danault for Strome? They’re hardly playing Danault these days but still need a center to remain competitive. Adding Strome let’s them be competitive for the next two seasons without losing Danault for nothing.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Friedman had some interesting, I guess he calls it speculation. But I think he won't say its chatter based on the possible repercussions. He pointed out that everything was fine in CLB until Dubois spoke with other teams during free agency. Then the trade demand developed. Friedman, on several pods and 31 Thoughts, has referenced this fact pattern.

So we know that PLD wants a "bigger stage". Word is building that he wants to play in Montreal. He wasn't disgruntled until he spoke with teams over the summer. He is tanking his value and forcing a trade. That's not enough to prove tampering and collusion, but Friedman seems to be pointing to signs leading to that possibility.
I’m sure this is playing a factor but that’s a very flimsy tampering argument at best. Montreal and other teams were allowed to talk to him and they pitched him on playing in their city. And he realizes “oh Columbus is kinda crap compared to <insert team here>”

if Montreal wasn’t allowed to talk to him than yea throw the book at them. But I have no issues with what happened there

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Is the coaches job not to...try and make him try? So how about talking to him after that one lazy play. If he does it again he's benched. If he doesn't then you got your 1C playing.

All of that has been laid out for PLD the moment he requested a trade.

Torts said it during that interview.

Play hard, or you will sit.

This shouldn't even be something you and I are discussing.

Trade request or no, play hard or sit. Why does that need to be explained to a professional athlete??

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY

Trade request or no, play hard or sit. Why does that need to be explained to a professional athlete??
Because the player actually has leverage in this situation. He can throw in the towel and still get paid. And forcing the team to trade him sooner means he’s more likely to go to one of the few teams he actually wants to play for, and get traded faster.

Columbus is truly between a rock and a hard place here with PLD acting the way he is. They’re losing trade leverage extremely quickly and PLD’s chances of getting what he wants are skyrocketing.

I would never do what PLD is doing, but I can’t help but notice it’s effective.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Because the player actually has leverage in this situation. He can throw in the towel and still get paid. And forcing the team to trade him sooner means he’s more likely to go to one of the few teams he actually wants to play for.

Columbus is truly between a rock and a hard place here with PLD acting the way he is. They’re losing trade leverage extremely quickly and PLD’s chances of getting what he wants are skyrocketing.

I would never do what PLD is doing, but I can’t help but notice it’s effective.

Then I want no part of this WAP.

f*** him

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This is what athletes do now. They request a trade and make the situation so uncomfortable that it forces the team to move them quicker than anticipated

It’s happening around every major sport right now.

I don’t love that Dubois didn’t play hard last night, but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t take him on this team every day of the week

Reactions: irishlaxburger2

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Then I want no part of this WAP.

f*** him
It’s a league where the players rarely have leverage over management/ownership. I can blame them for being unprofessional, but I can’t blame them for trying to use their leverage when they finally have it.

If he goes to his next team and acts the same, I’ll lose a ton of respect for him. But there’s also a very good chance he lands in the situation he wants to be in and reaches his very high potential. The team trading for him needs to be aware of whether or not he truly wants to be there. If he does, he’ll be a home run.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
This is what athletes do now. They request a trade and make the situation so uncomfortable that it forces the team to move them quicker than anticipated

It’s happening around every major sport right now.

I don’t love that Dubois didn’t play hard last night, but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t take him on this team every day of the week
Eli Manning forced it at the Draft and he and his family got lambasted for it. Then he went and won two Super Bowls for the Giants while being a consummate professional and model citizen. Doing this doesn’t mean the player is going to be a detriment at his next stop.

Reactions: 100Eyes and McSauer

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I think there is a difference between what is discussed theoretically in meetings and what is discussed on the bench during games.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I call bullshit.

And this isnt isolated, they have had some issues on the bench already this year. Torts just went through a full year where his two biggest stars wanted out and they got through that season with the franchise's most successful season ever, Torts isn't an idiot who doesn't know how to handle this, he just proved he could a couple years ago with arguably a tougher situation than this one...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Are you aware if we are actually involved in this? I wonder if this will turn into a tipping point for them with other players that will be due for contracts in the next few years and may want out like jones and werenski

The Rangers have and definitely will continue to check-in on this.

In this case, it's not a question of interest on the Rangers end, or even whether they have the pieces to make an attractive offer.

The question is whether Columbus wants to deal with the Rangers, and how high Gorton is willing to follow the bidding. That's the part I am less sure about.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
People, please stop putting Strome in a PLD trade. That shit is not happening.
Columbus has cap space. We'd need to move cap space. They'll need a C and Strome is a C.

I don't think they'll want Strome, but they may have to take Strome. That being said, I'm not on board with trading for PLD, given what has been reported they're asking for.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
For all our chatter, if Montreal makes Kotkaniemi available as expected, I would think that has to close the deal for PLD.

That’s gotta be about best case scenario in terms of the main piece in a deal. Two years removed from being the 3rd overall pick so call sell it to the fanbase. I’m not personally that high on him but he should be a solid C in the league for a long time and should fit in well with how Columbus plays.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
It’s a league where the players rarely have leverage over management/ownership. I can blame them for being unprofessional, but I can’t blame them for trying to use their leverage when they finally have it.

If he goes to his next team and acts the same, I’ll lose a ton of respect for him. But there’s also a very good chance he lands in the situation he wants to be in and reaches his very high potential. The team trading for him needs to be aware of whether or not he truly wants to be there. If he does, he’ll be a home run.

PLD gave up all his leverage when he signed a 2 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad