Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
For all our chatter, if Montreal makes Kotkaniemi available as expected, I would think that has to close the deal for PLD.

That’s gotta be about best case scenario in terms of the main piece in a deal. Two years removed from being the 3rd overall pick so call sell it to the fanbase. I’m not personally that high on him but he should be a solid C in the league for a long time and should fit in well with how Columbus plays.

Chytil is a comparable IMO to Kot plus NYR could offer better prospects as the plus

Chytil , Kravtsov and Strome to make the money work for Dubois and fillers

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Chytil is a comparable IMO to Kot plus NYR could offer better prospects as the plus

That’s a hell of a trade and weakens our depth in the immediate and long term. Pld is not eichel. Kratsov is still an A prospect. Giving up 2 nhl centers, including one with 4 more years of team control for 3 more years of team control and an A wing prospect is a hard trade to accept.
I accept losing one of Strome /ada/ chytil for pld. Not two.

Reactions: haveandare

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not true, depends on the style of player. Kakko is more power forward than finese player, those types take longer to adjust to the size and speed of the league and with Kakko he needed to adjust to a new continent, style of play and ice size. Schieifle is a good example of a similar type and Winnipeg fans were ready to run him outta town early.
This I completely agree with. And I would add, we do not have enough power forwards in our mix as is.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
That’s a hell of a trade and weakens our depth in the immediate and long term. Pld is not eichel. Kratsov is still an A prospect. Giving up 2 nhl centers, including one with 4 more years of team control for 3 more years of team control and an A wing prospect is a hard trade to accept.
I accept losing one of Strome /ada/ chytil for pld. Not two.

i am sure CLB would throw in a Nash if we need a C back ......I am not focussed on this year I’m thinking next and beyond

Bread , Zib , Kreider
Laf, Dubois, Buch /Kakko

will be fine w no Kravtsov
3rd line c we suffer w Howden and hope Barron develops . Rooney fills 4th line for now ... sign a ufa C for 3rd line next year

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
EsWKzLEXMAElTTn

Reactions: RangersFan1994

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Is the coaches job not to...try and make him try? So how about talking to him after that one lazy play. If he does it again he's benched. If he doesn't then you got your 1C playing.
No? A coach shouldn’t have to manage each individual player starting from a point where they don’t even want to try to play the game. That’d leave no time for actual coaching. He’s not a therapist for 30 people, he’s supposed to be managing a team of professional players who have minimum expectations for themselves including wanting to play.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
For all our chatter, if Montreal makes Kotkaniemi available as expected, I would think that has to close the deal for PLD.

That’s gotta be about best case scenario in terms of the main piece in a deal. Two years removed from being the 3rd overall pick so call sell it to the fanbase. I’m not personally that high on him but he should be a solid C in the league for a long time and should fit in well with how Columbus plays.

Could definitely be the case. At least, I think any GM making that deal given Kotkaniemi's status will have his back cleared. I like Kotkaniemi a lot and think he will become a fine player, but the little caveat I have is that this is a difficult league to play in and there really are no guarantees.

Ultimately I don't think PLD will be traded, and that Columbus after taking some calls will declare that no trade can be made and some kind of truce will be reached like with Trouba in Winnipeg. The trade could be 2-3 years away. Torts could be fired which could change things. I am also not that super convinced that PLD will keep up his production, and that could change the market from many many perspectives.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Imagine if this WAP pouts his way to NY and shits the bed?

Does MSG have designated safe spaces for players?
What do you think Adam Fox did? Let’s not pretend the Rangers are above getting players who “pout” to get a move to them.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I'm not going to reply to anyone specific because there are a few comments pertaining to PLD's behavior as a possible one-off, and worth the gamble.

1) I'm sure Rangers Brass may do some alt scouting by asking Panarin if he feels this is indeed a one-off incident with this player.

2) I read on the main boards this is not a one-off incident and that PLD displayed similar antics when he forced his way out of Cape Brenton. Of which, if true, you have to belive any scouting dept worth their salt and the GM the report to has to be a little apprehensive after this latest gaffe.

Imo, two scenarios just presented themselves. PLD may have become a less expensive asset to aquire, and the price on Barkov just went up.

Reactions: Rongomania

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I don't think we need the big trade right now . I would sooner bide our time and let the kids evolve into better players and achieving higher offensive numbers while paying attention to overall team defense . I think our offense as it is right now is great...top 5 last season and we added Laf who we know will get better and KK likely will also and Chytil .
I do worry about Coach Quinn....I would sooner have an NHL coach like Gallant but I have no problem giving Quinn a half season before I do that .

We do need back end improving at some point.....and we have some chips that we can use to fill them holes or we wait for them to come from within . I would not want to trade 2-3 cost controlled assets at this stage for Dubois or Eichel . We have two years to make a decision on Zibs.....lets not panic. We won't be a Cup contender at best until 2 seasons have passed or maybe 3 . A lot can happen.....and having the young assets has never been a bad thing for a rebuilding club.

Reactions: its josh

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
What do you think Adam Fox did? Let’s not pretend the Rangers are above getting players who “pout” to get a move to them.

Adam Fox didn't dog it during a game, he made it known he would hold out until he became a free agent, and the Canes traded the asset before it became worthless. Totally different situations.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Lots of red flags on PLD.

His value should have dropped yesterday. I'm not giving up Kakko. (Wasn't anyway)

Pressure is on Columbus to make a move before situation worsens.

Reactions: Rongomania

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Adam Fox didn't dog it during a game, he made it known he would hold out until he became a free agent, and the Canes traded the asset before it became worthless. Totally different situations.
I don’t think it’s all that difference. People are just going to stick their head in the sand because they love Fox.

Fox forced not one, but two trades on the threat of not signing. That is how an asset ruins their value. PLD shouldn’t have signed but he also shouldn’t have pulled that stunt because Torts doesn’t play like that. The Flames and especially the Hurricanes were under way more pressure to deal Fox quick.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

How on earth do you propose Columbus could sell that deal to their fan base? How on earth do you think that is the best offer they would get?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The Rangers have and definitely will continue to check-in on this.

In this case, it's not a question of interest on the Rangers end, or even whether they have the pieces to make an attractive offer.

The question is whether Columbus wants to deal with the Rangers, and how high Gorton is willing to follow the bidding. That's the part I am less sure about.
I pick up that you say it is a question on IF columbus wants to deal with NYR, is this something as simple as potentially dealing him to a team that they may share a division with in the future, or is this something bigger like potential ill feelings bc of panarin or JD coming here? I find you wording curious, and I know you are someone that picks his words carefully

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I'm not going to reply to anyone specific because there are a few comments pertaining to PLD's behavior as a possible one-off, and worth the gamble.

1) I'm sure Rangers Brass may do some alt scouting by asking Panarin if he feels this is indeed a one-off incident with this player.

2) I read on the main boards this is not a one-off incident and that PLD displayed similar antics when he forced his way out of Cape Brenton. Of which, if true, you have to belive any scouting dept worth their salt and the GM the report to has to be a little apprehensive after this latest gaffe.

Imo, two scenarios just presented themselves. PLD may have become a less expensive asset to aquire, and the price on Barkov just went up.
A lot of Cape Breton and Rimouski locals also posted on the main boards that he wasn't traded because he was a malcontent. He was traded because Cape Brenton wasn't a contender and they could get value in return for sending him to a team looking for a Memorial Cup run. They all had rave reviews about him personally.

I think this is all a product of two things. One, the kid clearly doesn't want to play in Columbus and wants to have some say in where he goes. And two, John Tortorella...who is arguably the one coach in the league who is amazing at taking a bad situation and making it a dumpster fire. This is coming from someone who loved Torts' time as the Rangers head coach. But he is who he is. I don't blame him for benching PLD, but you don't have to be a detective to surmise that he likely fueled a lot of what's happening.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I would think Kotkaniemi has (a lot) more value than Chytil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad