Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
PLD: informs teams he wants out, signs 2 year deal and then immeditely reconfirms he wants out to the entire world
CLB FANS: iF hE ReaLLY WAntED OUt WHy sIGn 2 YEAr DeaL MORonS??

PLD: Dogs it to force CLB hand
CLB FANS: NOTHING HAS CHANGED HES HERE FOR AT LEAST 2 MORE YEARS YOU WANT IM THEN ITS KAKKO & LAF++++

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I pick up that you say it is a question on IF columbus wants to deal with NYR, is this something as simple as potentially dealing him to a team that they may share a division with in the future, or is this something bigger like potential ill feelings bc of panarin or JD coming here? I find you wording curious, and I know you are someone that picks his words carefully

A little bit of both.

I definitely don't think they love the idea of dealing within the division (beyond this season).

But I also think there's the perception of them being a feeder system for the Rangers.

Nine years ago it was a 28 year old Rick Nash.

A year and a half ago it was JD leaving and then a 27 year old Panarin.

Now it's the potential of trading a 22 year old Dubois.

I just don't know if there's a huge appetite for that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don’t think it’s all that difference. People are just going to stick their head in the sand because they love Fox.

Fox forced not one, but two trades on the threat of not signing. That is how an asset ruins their value. PLD shouldn’t have signed but he also shouldn’t have pulled that stunt because Torts doesn’t play like that. The Flames and especially the Hurricanes were under way more pressure to deal Fox quick.
It’s very different. Players in Fox’s position have forced trades that way before and it’s part of the way contracts work in this league. Players don’t have to and aren’t expected to sign if they don’t want to.

PLD signed and is now trying to force a trade by purposely playing poorly. Who else in recent memory has tried to force a trade, days after signing an extension, by visibly not trying when they’re put on the ice?

One is using the way contracts work to your advantage, the other is being a baby and hurting your team because you’re not getting moved instantly after re-signing.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
upload_2021-1-22_11-42-42.png

In spite of myself I do kind of miss the guy

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If I was Columbus I would absolutely not trade Dubois here unless the Rangers offer blows every other offer out of the water

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A little bit of both.

I definitely don't think they love the idea of dealing within the division (beyond this season).

But I also think there's the perception of them being a feeder system for the Rangers.

I mean we just saw the Rockets refuse to deal James Harden to the 76ers (who probably had a better package) because they didn’t want to give him back to Daryl Morey so that definitely exists in professional sports.

The onus is on the Rangers to make a legitimate offer here. If they don’t have the appetite for that they are entitled to that opinion, but this is a player that would be a near perfect addition.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
A little bit of both.

This was my thought/concern as well. I would think it only enhances the probability that if we trade for him it has to be a deal for nyr that will and should hurt to make.

Do you personally think he is a fit for this franchise going forward? Not the general oh he's a center and we need a 2c, but is he from a personality and stylistic manner the right fit here? Do you think nyr holds out for that bigger fish opp and hope a guy like eichel actually starts to force his way out of buffalo? I'm not sure if the two would at all be related since in some manner if you get a center now would it take you out of getting a different (better) one later.

Curious of your thoughts.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can demand a trade or try to push yourself in a single direction by doing a bunch of things...

You don't do it by dogging it on the ice. Not only does that reflect poorly on you, it won't help push things along the way that you want them to.
And yet no one will care about that if he is traded here and succeeds.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You can demand a trade or try to push yourself in a single direction by doing a bunch of things...

You don't do it by dogging it on the ice. Not only does that reflect poorly on you, it won't help push things along the way that you want them to.

This is straight from the NFL/NBA book of 'How to get yourself traded in 3 months or less'.

Yapping to the media hasn't worked so dogging it is the next step. Soon he'll do a podcast with a retired player ripping coach and management at CLB.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
A little bit of both.

Dealing in the division makes sense as a big issue and we would def need to slightly overpay due to that.
But to not take an even minimally better deal because of perception is pretty dumb.

We did ok as a feeder for The Tampa Rangers lol.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
And yet no one will care about that if he is traded here and succeeds.
What about if he struggles off the bat? What will NY Media and fans say then after gutting our prospect depth? 'Have patience' or 'off with his head, there were red flags!!!'?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A little bit of both.

This seems fair. Montreal gets PLD, the Rangers get Eichel from the division rival Sabres for the Habs. Win-win

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is straight from the NFL/NBA book of 'How to get yourself traded in 3 months or less'.

Yapping to the media hasn't worked so dogging it is the next step. Soon he'll do a podcast with a retired player ripping coach and management at CLB.

You missed the "he leaves the team and goes home" step before going on Chiclets.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A lot?

Okay I want to hear the rationale behind this.
I mean first off, from the crowd that says we shouldn’t trade Kakko because he was drafted at 2oa; Kotkaniemi was drafted at 3oa. Same rational there. There is obvious upside. Chytil never has been and probably never will be rated over Kotkaniemi. JK is still only 20 years old and he is proven to be a center where as FC still hasn’t proved he can play that position full time. Their stats are a bit of a wash, but JK plays in a more defensive team and FC is about -25 worse. Not that +\- is the best stat but (a) that’s a pretty big difference (b) I am not getting into fancy stats. Can you tell me why you think FC has closed the gap on JK ?

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
What about if he struggles off the bat? What will NY Media and fans say then after gutting our prospect depth? 'Have patience' or 'off with his head, there were red flags!!!'?
I think people here compare the Rangers media/fan environment to Montreal or Toronto, or the other New York sports teams, but I don't see it. It seems like a pretty chill place to play?

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad