Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
what are you arguing exactly? That they like him they just don’t want him? I don’t get it. If they liked him 5 mil is not a crazy number for him. They don’t
he's a stop gap. He doesn't have a long-term future here.

As things are, committing to him creates more issues than he's worth.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sure, but you’re thinking only about a problem in year 1, in year 2 there’s no problem and after 3 years the advantage goes away and then some. A temporary cap detriment that would offset all benefits?

Not interested, at all, in trying to advance the rebuild and thus shortening the window.

Pass

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The QO counts against the cap during the offseason, which is 81.5 mil + 10%. That's not an issue though, as we won't get close to that. If he doesn't end up signing a contract, then yes, it doesn't count during the season. The problem is that he is arbitration eligible, and will almost certainly elect arbitration. That means he will be awarded a 1 year contract by an arbitrator if we can't work something out. If the award is high enough, we can walk away, but if not, we're stuck with it. So if we QO him and we can't trade him, then he'll very likely end up on the cap.

I may be wrong, but can’t the team walk away from the award if it’s player elected arbitration?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Worst case scenario with Strome, sign him for his max arb award, retain a million or so and trade him then. There’s very little chance he has negative value on any route they take.

The only plausible reason is they have deals lined up and are going to trade him no matter what.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Worst case scenario with Strome, sign him for his max arb award, retain a million or so and trade him then. There’s very little chance he has negative value on any route they take.

The only plausible reason is they have deals lined up and are going to trade him no matter what.

There is zero chance he has negative value IMO. Walking away from him would be a monumentally stupid decision.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I read the Strome thing as one of the following:

A. They have a couple standing offers for Strome and are just deciding between them. Probably some sort of agreed upon deadline to decide so the other team(s) have an opportunity to talk contract before the QO is due.

B. They're working on a trade that will mean there's no money let for Strome and they don't want to be committed to him in the event that it comes through.

Could be a combination of both, or they're working on B and the market for Strome vanished so they're forced to let him walk.
I agree although B. is much smaller as a percentage. We have no commitment unless he signs the Q.O. or if arbitration gives him less than $4.5m. He is highly tradeable at that cost especially to the less desirable outposts. Same with the Q.O.

Unless we are way off on the severity of the landscape, but then some of the GMs doing business this week are oblivious. I know, I know.

The problem is I can't come up with a drawback for qualifying him if he is being traded. Is it a shot across the bow? Not much leverage with the center needs here.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There is zero chance he has negative value IMO. Walking away from him would be a monumentally stupid decision.

We don't know what other moves Gorton is looking to make. Walking away might be necessary to facilitate a more important move. It isn't the end of the world if we don't maximize every asset.

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
could be the market is going to change so dramatically. Maybe something is in place while the demand for Strome is much lower than his asking price.

can only speculate while i think we’ll get clarity very soon.
I think that this is exactly right. They may be planning a trade and may not believe that they can move him easily Only thing that makes sense unless it's propaganda from team or agent.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We don't know what other moves Gorton is looking to make. Walking away might be necessary to facilitate a more important move. It isn't the end of the world if we don't maximize every asset.

I’d imagine there are other moves to make besides just throwing away an asset with value though. Even buying out Smith or trading Buch.

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
the only scenario it would make sense IMO is if there is absolutely zero interest around the league and we can't even trade him for a 7th round pick so then you make a trade for a 2C before tuesday and let him walk...but what are the chances that he has zero trade value? i'd say none.
Maybe it's a message to strome to contemplate coming down from high demands. Provide him 3 days to think about the line jg just put in the sand.

Reactions: White Death 24

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree although B. is much smaller as a percentage. We have no commitment unless he signs the Q.O. or if arbitration gives him less than $4.5m. He is highly tradeable at that cost especially to the less desirable outposts. Same with the Q.O.

Unless we are way off on the severity of the landscape, but then some of the GMs doing business this week are oblivious. I know, I know.

The problem is I can't come up with a drawback for qualifying him if he is being traded. Is it a shot across the bow? Not much leverage with the center needs here.

I agree that the likelihood of winding up in a bad spot with Strome still on the books is very low but it's not impossible. If the Rangers estimates on what an arb award looks like are on the lower end, they might not want to temp fate.

The only reason I can think of for not giving him the QO if he's being traded is it's at the behest of the team dealing for him. Like for some insane reason they want to trade for him but don't want him qualified beforehand.

It's a weird situation but I'm sure there's a method to the madness.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I’d imagine there are other moves to make besides just throwing away an asset with value though. Even buying out Smith or trading Buch.

I think some of you guys don't appreciate just how difficult it is to coordinate all this stuff, particularly with a flat cap and many teams having internal budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad