Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I have a hard time seeing the team being reluctant to give Strome a deal with term only to orchestrate a trade for Tyler Johnson who has 4 years at $5m per. Sure, he can play all 3 forward positions, can kill penalties, and had a rep as a playoff performer, but that's a pretty huge gamble unless you're getting a hell of a sweetener. Like Sergachev at a bargain levels of sweetener.

His play took a pretty big nose dive this year. Some people thought it was because he couldn't find a consistent spot in the lineup but I'm not convinced.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
But why would that affect offering him a qo?

Negotiating leverage, or a trade. I’d imagine a trade would be coupled with another one. Clearly, Edge isn’t willing to spill the beans on what that might be...

Edit: Obviously, if things fall apart, they’ll QO him. They won’t Zherdev him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Depends. What are they giving the Rangers? If indeed this is tied to Strome, The what would we be getting for him? Johnson is a pretty good hockey player. It’s all probably a long shot but Johnson isn't going to be gung ho about a trade to Detroit or Ottawa.

For instance, give me a first in 2021 and a second in 2022. Then I ship Strome to Ottawa for two seconds. That would you a ton of draft capital to go get something you really want.

As I recall, you wanted to sign Panarin because you wanted this team to be good sooner rather than later. And now you're advocating that we take on Johnson for the next 4 years so we can get futures?

We've had enough picks. We don't need to be in the business of trying to weaponize cap space to get futures.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
As I recall, you wanted to sign Panarin because you wanted this team to be good sooner rather than later. And now you're advocating that we take on Johnson for the next 4 years so we can get futures?

We've had enough picks. We don't need to be in the business of trying to weaponize cap space to get futures.
I seem to have a higher opinion of Johnson than others.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
is he good though? had 30 points in 65 games. doesn't win faceoffs. doesn't kill penalties.

sounds to me like a lateral move from strome at best, a huge downgrade if he doesn't have chemistry with Panarin. but johnson is 3 years older and already signed to the nightmare contract that we are trying to avoid giving to strome.

I don't see anything to like about it.

Not advocating for it but he's spent quite a bit of time in past seasons killing penalties. He's at least got the reputation of being a good 3-zone player.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

I certainly don’t mind acquiring more futures — but I agree about taking on a long term cap dump to do it. Especially since I’ve never been a huge fan of the player, from even before this past year.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
That's just it. I don't think Johnson helps us.

Oh I agree. But there are other players on Tampa you consider if they’re available, even at the expense of “helping Tampa out”.

The whole, refusing to trade with Tampa because you don’t want to help them out is asinine.

The whole premise of a trade is two teams helping each other out, regardless of their motives.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Makes sense, but not offering a QO just yet is the interesting part for me.
The very Edge himself suggested there’s been chatter with Strome this offseason. That means he has some type of value.

Gorton isn’t going to piss that value down the toilet. Strome hasn’t been tendered because there are gears in motion behind the scenes we’re oblivious too.

It’s not because Gorton is In La-La Land. He probably has 2 deals for Strome and is trying to maximize his return.

The last thing Gorton will do, is let a tradable asset walk for free when there’s a market for him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I certainly don’t mind acquiring more futures — but I agree about taking on a long term cap dump to do it. Especially since I’ve never been a huge fan of the player, from even before this past year.

Does it make sense to give up a asset like a 2nd round pick to move a short-term bas contract (Staal), and invest it in a potentially longer term asset for a similar return?

To me it doesn’t. And I very much like Johnson, but not at his salary.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
I think we’re going to be glued to our phones tomorrow like a bunch of idiot teenage TikTokers.

Gorton and JD have some shit up their sleeves. And I’m not talking pawns and rooks. (That Chess reference better garner like, 274 likes).

You got mine. What’s your chess.com username?

Reactions: Kupo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad