Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Keep seeing Blues fans calling Dunn a 3rd pairing D and that’s not good considering NYR needs a top 4 LD

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I usually don’t have imagination to do @bernmeister blockbuster proposals but I still got a few fumes from last night lingering (or so it seems). I thing what stops Eichel trade proposals full tilt is his salary but if Buffalo was serious about the trade for our 1OA they’d agree to withhold some salary, say $2m-2.5m. Add their 8OA and the 2nd rounder and Cousins to the mix and maybe there’s a trade that buries HFB:

1OA + 22OA + Strome for Eichel ($2.5m withheld) + 8OA + Cousins +2020 2nd rounder

Reactions: Minmonster

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hence why Buchnevich, Strome and the 22nd pick are being discussed.
Exactly ..but he's saying like adding those guys makes us contenders without acknowledgement that subtracting the other guys hurts us

I disagree that adding those 2 would push us into the realm of contenders.

It took an mvp season from panarin and a monster breakout year from mika to get us to being a bubble team...I just don't see us being a contender next year barring something bonkers happening.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I would trade 1 for Eichel, and I would consider possibly Dahlin + 8 + 38. Anything else isnt even worth discussing.
Lafreniere is worth more than eichel to me.

Eichel is a 10m a year player..lafreniere is a league minimum plus bonuses player for the next 3 years.

Those high producing players on entry level deal are huge in this economic state. Particularly after giving kreider the contract he got.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'd do Lafreniere for Dahlin straight up without a moment's hesitation. He's 2nd all-time in points by a teenage Dman, and he's doing that playing on Buffalo. Getting him here would instantly lock down our Top pairing for the next decade at a bare minimum

EDIT: But there's no way in hell the Sabres even consider it.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Keep seeing Blues fans calling Dunn a 3rd pairing D and that’s not good considering NYR needs a top 4 LD
I feel pretty objective about it, as an unequal fan of both teams. Dunn has exhibited top-four potential, and offensive output. I would say he has about a Brady Skjei's chance of being a top pairing defender, but probably balances out as a capable 2nd pair D in the right situation. Dunn would be good depth, but he either pushes Lindgren up to where he doesn't belong or pushes him down to a slot he's overqualified for. Dunn is no 1LD. I want to think that Brooks and @Edge are wrong and that ADA will get a decent shot at 1LD, because otherwise we have problems at both RD and LD.

Reactions: Minmonster

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm dreaming of watching Lafreniere already but for Dahlin I have to do it. If you watch Hedman and what he does for that team and this kid is supposed to be better, I don't think you can pass on that. With all their forwards the reason Tampa got swept last year was Hedman was not healthy down the stretch and in the playoffs and it destroyed that team.

ahh, the Lightning added a lot of grit from last season’s team. Besides Hedman, they have a ton of talent.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'd do Lafreniere for Dahlin straight up without a moment's hesitation. He's 2nd all-time in points by a teenage Dman, and he's doing that playing on Buffalo. Getting him here would instantly lock down our Top pairing for the next decade at a bare minimum

EDIT: But there's no way in hell the Sabres even consider it.
I dont hate Trouba, but there's no way he's a top-pair D for the next decade. I also like Dahlin a lot, but isnt Lafreniere projected to be a much better player?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I dont hate Trouba, but there's no way he's a top-pair D for the next decade. I also like Dahlin a lot, but isnt Lafreniere projected to be a much better player?

No, Dahlin is/was a lot closer to potentially being generational (i.e. a Top 3 dman, and possibly player, in the league for 15+ years) than Lafreniere. There has been at least some discussion about picking a C this year. There was ZERO during the Dahlin draft

Reactions: Avery16

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

I think Dahlin gets a hell of a raw deal when people talk about the 'best prospects since McDavid'.

To me, he should be right in the discussion as the number one guy, and since being drafted he has put up obscene numbers as a teenage defenseman. He was billed as a "better Karlsson" in his draft year, and all he has done so far is solidify that label.

I'm a big fan of Alf and I hate the idea of trading the 1OA pick, but for Dahlin? Where do I sign?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Vince Dunn would make this team a contender IMO. Quietly had better two way seasons the last two years than Parayko and definitely not far behind Piet either of at all.

well they’re wrong so

Reactions: leetch99

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Vince Dunn would make this team a contender IMO. Quietly had better two way seasons the last two years than Parayko and definitely not far behind Piet either of at all.

well they’re wrong so
Dunn showed great progress this season, but he's not in the same conversation as Pietrangelo and Parayko, or ADA and Fox for that matter

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Trading a player like ADA who actually had the type of amazing season we’ve been waiting for since forever.

While hoping Fox/Nils can do the same.

To afford a guy like Brodin to “save Trouba”.

Seems just ridiculously dumb and backwards to me. That’s justification logic. Keep your best players.

resigning Kreider and winning the lottery changed the budget IMO. They need lower cost players. Flat cap isn’t helping either. I wanted Kreider traded yet apparently he doesn’t have a full NTC so that’s better.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Trading a player like ADA who actually had the type of amazing season we’ve been waiting for since forever.

While hoping Fox/Nils can do the same.

To afford a guy like Brodin to “save Trouba”.

Seems just ridiculously dumb and backwards to me. That’s justification logic. Keep your best players.
Fox is already better than DeAngelo

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I thought that the Rangers would have drafted Dunn in 2015. Heard that one of the Ranger scouts was tracking him. Dude lost out to the western scout and the Rangers took Gropp on that selection. Could be wrong, but heard it back prior to the 2015 draft.

Dunn has a lot of competitive spunk. He may be able to play higher minutes. Dude's played winning hockey already, he's on the 3rd pair because guys like JBow and Gunnarson gave reliable minutes during the cup run, but if a team is signing Scandella over you... that's not saying much for upside... but it could also mean that STL just prefers a veteran lineup.

The thing about cup contenders are that they seem to have veteran defensemen on them who can eat minutes since the learning curve for defense is higher and more nuanced. Is it a case of that or is it a case of Dunn being a 3rd pair guy?

Because in winning situations, Gostisbehere is a 3rd pair guy. Same with Yandle. Same with Shattenkirk.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

he's 3rd pairing on the blues cause they have a deep, veteran blueline. we'd be gambling on his upside potential...but pay in the trade as if he's 'only' a 3rd pair d

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
@bernmeister you gonna let this guy get away with this?

My thanks to you and the 9 others that liked.
bern has been banished from this thread
anything much beyond this statement could = infraction.
Appreciate that many, many posters, whether agree or disagree,
have said they'd like to hear me here.

Best case scenario is in a year, my theory on how to make capitalism more efficient, conscionable, and thus altruistic is academically validated.
At that point, I
-break the internet
-earn megabillions
-buy controlling interest in Krave, Mandatory, Evolve Media and
- an odd exception or two aside, keep things status quo at HFB, but
- with an emphasis on freedom of speech
-even if you are like Horton in Horton hears a Who, and you will not be made to capitulate on your opinion of what Rangers should have done as to a Boo Nieves experiment.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
No, Dahlin is/was a lot closer to potentially being generational (i.e. a Top 3 dman, and possibly player, in the league for 15+ years) than Lafreniere. There has been at least some discussion about picking a C this year. There was ZERO during the Dahlin draft

to be fair there also was no top center in 2018 to even have that conversation...the habs took Kotkaniemi at #3 but they went off board and took him higher than he was projected. then the yotes went off the board to take Hayton at 5. there was no clear #2 pick who was a center to even have that discussion.

and there has been 0% chance this year that anyone even considers taking someone else at #1. trading the pick for insane return maybe, but not picking someone else.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
resigning Kreider and winning the lottery changed the budget IMO. They need lower cost players. Flat cap isn’t helping either. I wanted Kreider traded yet apparently he doesn’t have a full NTC so that’s better.

I never thought we would invest that much money in our right side d with a cost controlled replacement in our prospect pool, especially given the contracts we have, the ones we will eventually need to give out and the holes in other areas of this team. I don’t think anything has changed their thinking, i believe the minute Fox showed he was legit that Deangelo was toast for cap reasons and for team make up. If they can fill a hole and save money long term they will do it. If not he will have a short deal and be moved later, though i think the time is now, he will never be worth more, I've been warning everyone for months and now everyone is surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad