Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think Dahlin gets a hell of a raw deal when people talk about the 'best prospects since McDavid'.

To me, he should be right in the discussion as the number one guy, and since being drafted he has put up obscene numbers as a teenage defenseman. He was billed as a "better Karlsson" in his draft year, and all he has done so far is solidify that label.

I'm a big fan of Alf and I hate the idea of trading the 1OA pick, but for Dahlin? Where do I sign?

Laf is still an unknown but i have to go with him over Dahlin if he’s in the Matthews/MacKinnon mold. Dahlin can dish the biscuit all day yet if he doesn’t have a guy burying goals his stats decline. He great and was #1 for that draft but does he go #1 in this draft?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I never thought we would invest that much money in our right side d with a cost controlled replacement in our prospect pool, especially given the contracts we have, the ones we will eventually need to give out and the holes in other areas of this team. I don’t think anything has changed their thinking, i believe the minute Fox showed he was legit that Deangelo was toast for cap reasons and for team make up. If they can fill a hole and save money long term they will do it. If not he will have a short deal and be moved later, though i think the time is now, he will never be worth more, I've been warning everyone for months and now everyone is surprised.

i think his worth is at an all-time high too. Will others be his equal offensively in the future? I kinda doubt it. I do believe a Laf will improve everybody and an uptick in defense would likely be better for these Rangers in the playoffs. Regular season, IDK, the game is more open and ADA thrives in that play.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The thing with Eichel, if you really have an interest in adding him, you can likely wait the Sabres out. Wait until the trade deadline or next offseason. You can draft Lafreniere and likely still land Eichel if you really want him as your C of the future. No one would be able to outbid the Rangers for Eichel. Don’t make an all in move right now. You take Lafreniere and revisit Eichel later on when you see how the year progresses for both teams. Say the Rangers add a guy like Dunn, Reunanen/Miller solidify the 3rd pair LD and the team takes giant strides forward, meanwhile Buffalo continues to flounder and Eichel becomes even more upset, then you can make a decision at a later point.

And at the point the Rangers could offer a package of Kravtsov, Chytil, Strome/Buch, 1st 2021. No one is topping that. They have defenseman they could add if needed. They have a ton of assets. And as part of that deal, maybe you get BUF to retain $2 million.

Your top 6 becomes:

Lafreniere-Zib-Kreider
Panarin-Eichel-Kakko

for the remainder of the season and/or the 2021-2022 season. You fill in the bottom 6 with cheaper ELCs and veteran options. A lot of money comes off the books after this season. It would be a difficult financial landscape to navigate after the 21-22 season, but as @Edge has pointed out before, NYR management does not go into a panic over the cap situation as much as the people on HFB do.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Laf is still an unknown but i have to go with him over Dahlin if he’s in the Matthews/MacKinnon mold. Dahlin can dish the biscuit all day yet if he doesn’t have a guy burying goals his stats decline. He great and was #1 for that draft but does he go #1 in this draft?

Yes he does. 1D vs 1W, you take the Dman. And that's ignoring the fact that Dahlin put up the best season by a U18 Dman in SHL history, and would be 6 months younger than Laf if they were in the same draft year.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
@Edge is there a sense that this offseason is the make or break when it comes to building that "team of the 20s" that has been brought up in the past?

In the past, I would have said next offseason, but getting the #1 pick accelerates things a bit. We've accumulated the elite talented needed at this point. It needs to be cultivated, but is the sense that if this offseason is a big hit, that 2021-22 is the opening of a long window to contend for a cup?
We need a gritty match up center and a wing or two. LD as well. This is fun to watch.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The fact that the Sabres are circling back for the 1st overall without either the 2nd or 3rd makes me believe that the teams have spoken at length in the past. This coincides with what @Edge has mentioned before as well. You can’t even contemplate a complicated offer like this without having a good feel for what the other wants from many past discussions.

If the 1st overall isn’t the piece that’s moved I could still see a more minor deal coming from those discussions. It seems like the teams have circled each other for a while.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Fox is already better than DeAngelo

I agree with this overall, but not on the PP he’s isn’t. ADA was a huge part of the PP success this year. ADA can change a game in in the offensive zone IMO. My point is that banking on Fox/Nils to fill that role seamlessly and at the same effectiveness is a gamble at this stage.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
@Edge i noticed nothing mentioned about possible UFA’s they may want to look at or a path towards making the team a bit more difficult to play against. Any tidbits on those?

I’d imagine they wouldn’t be looking at much as far as UFA’s, maybe depth options. Say Janmark, Girgensons, Nosek types

Reactions: jay from jersey

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Adam Fox looks like better McD.

Tony D is a top 5 PPQB and he is just getting started. And tony was arguably our best player on the ice VS Car.

Adam Fox will not be a top PPQB. And that's ok. You keep both, Troubda can be moved in two years no?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Tony D is a top 5 PPQB and he is just getting started. And tony was arguably our best player on the ice VS Car.

Adam Fox will not be a top PPQB. And that's ok. You keep both, Troubda can be moved in two years no?
Tony was horrendous against Carolina. He was injured so it’s not a big deal but ya this is the first time I’ve seen someone say he was anything other than terrible in that series

also don’t see why Fox can’t be a great PPQB. Dude is elite with the puck. Once ADA gets traded I think people are gonna see that’s a silly stance to take.

Reactions: UnSandvich

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I never thought we would invest that much money in our right side d with a cost controlled replacement in our prospect pool, especially given the contracts we have, the ones we will eventually need to give out and the holes in other areas of this team. I don’t think anything has changed their thinking, i believe the minute Fox showed he was legit that Deangelo was toast for cap reasons and for team make up. If they can fill a hole and save money long term they will do it. If not he will have a short deal and be moved later, though i think the time is now, he will never be worth more, I've been warning everyone for months and now everyone is surprised.

You literally less than 48 hours ago

"I think there will be a lot of disappointed faces when the only moves we make are depth moves for the 4th line and the team is generally the same plus Lafreniere and possibly Barron and Miller."

Speculation: - Roster Building Thread: Part LIV

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I agree with this overall, but not on the PP he’s isn’t. ADA was a huge part of the PP success this year. ADA can change a game in in the offensive zone IMO. My point is that banking on Fox/Nils to fill that role seamlessly and at the same effectiveness is a gamble at this stage.
Like I said above I’m not worried about Fox taking over the PP from ADA. Think he’ll be just fine. Let’s not act like Tony is THE reason our PP was good, we have Artemi Panarin and Mika Zibanejad. I don’t think Fox is gonna have any trouble getting these guys the puck in prime shooting position on the PP

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
i think his worth is at an all-time high too. Will others be his equal offensively in the future? I kinda doubt it. I do believe a Laf will improve everybody and an uptick in defense would likely be better for these Rangers in the playoffs. Regular season, IDK, the game is more open and ADA thrives in that play.

They don’t have to be his equal, with all his offensive prowess came some defensive liabilities so even if Nils is a 2 way dman and Laf adds points and Fox added to pp1 adds some points, whatever you get for ADA plus his cap savings is a bonus, and we should get something good back that will fill a spot we are weak at and make the team stronger in that regard as well. Been through all these things before and as long as you get the right trade and it helps the team you can't worry about letting someone go. I've kept an eye on Nils, he appears to be the real deal and saving 5.5 mill and replacing ADA with him next year would be a steal for as long as he is cost controlled. I do agree though that we will miss him in Ot, his skating and passing really shows up when the ice is open.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Like I said above I’m not worried about Fox taking over the PP from ADA. Think he’ll be just fine. Let’s not act like Tony is THE reason our PP was good, we have Artemi Panarin and Mika Zibanejad. I don’t think Fox is gonna have any trouble getting these guys the puck in prime shooting position on the PP

Laf will help too.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Tony was our worst player vs Carolina, it pretty much wasn't close. Apparently he had an injury so it doesnt mean anything but he was not in any aspect of hockey our best player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m not sure we don’t see Trouba on PP1 just as a pure shooter this year honestly. Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Strome(assuming he’s here).

I’m curious what type of offers are out there for Strome though. Pick?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How many wingers in the league do you have his impactful as MacKinnon?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I’m not sure we don’t see Trouba on PP1 just as a pure shooter this year honestly. Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Strome(assuming he’s here).

I’m curious what type of offers are out there for Strome though. Pick?

Im doubtful of that. Trouba for some reason has a hard time controlling his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad