Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some of those are good pieces, but again, when you're talking about a talent like Laf, you really need to get something elite back, and outside Eichel/Dahlin they really lack that elite piece that would make a deal worth it and that you can sell to the fan-base. I just can't see the Rangers doing it or being able to sell a deal without a clear, elite piece coming back. Also, thank you once again for all the replies, truly I appreciate it.

Also, I noticed you skipped over my paranoia question about sticking at 1 and not taking Laf, so now I will go to bed soon spiraling into madness. Got any of that wine over the weekend for me? Lolz

Rangers aren’t taking anyone else but Lafreniere with the top pick. His upside is too high and his risk factor too low to pass up.

And remember, the Rangers are one of McKenzie’s go-to teams for his poll. No one had Lafreniere in any other spot but first. That would include the Rangers.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
@Edge is there a sense that this offseason is the make or break when it comes to building that "team of the 20s" that has been brought up in the past?

In the past, I would have said next offseason, but getting the #1 pick accelerates things a bit. We've accumulated the elite talented needed at this point. It needs to be cultivated, but is the sense that if this offseason is a big hit, that 2021-22 is the opening of a long window to contend for a cup?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You're downgrading from Strome to Danault. I don' get the love with Danault. He's like a shorter Kevin Hayes. C is tough because, in an ideal world, you'd love to have a 2C like Barkov or something if you're going to move pieces and upgrade. I still think if TB decides to shed a salary, I'd call on Gourde. I know Johnson and Killorn are 1 and 2, in no particular order, to be moved this offseason, but both these guys may list teams on their NTC that don't have a ton of cap flexibility. Johnson at $6M wouldn't interest me if I were any of those teams.

Barkov would for sure be your 1C

I think Danault at 27y is a better fit than many think.
He’d add something that’s missing from the top6 and bet would look good next to Panarin- Kakko.

Makes you tougher to play against, it can’t be all offense.

I also don’t know if you can honestly afford an offensive quality 2C moving forward

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Trading this franchise’s first #1OA, no matter what the return, would just be...depressing.
It would be a super tough sell on its own. Factor in no Eichel/Dahlin and you'd have fans calling for JD/Gorton's heads.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah DeAngelo is a perfect fit in Vegas.

They don't really have the space and the only players who would really interest me in a return are guys they have on their ELC's. They'd have to send some money back our way.

deangelo for Tuch would have been a great deal if the rangers weren’t loaded on the wings

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I guess when you look at it any player can get a concussion or neck injury if hit the wrong way. maybe he’s ok now. I read he’s a very good player who could drop due to injury concerns.
I know it sounds insane. And definitely I’m not a doctor. But I sense that some heads are...packed...better and can take hits better. Like Lindros, to me, had a ‘loose’ head and it made him susceptible. I have no idea if that’s scientifically defensible. But I have that feeling. I worry about players being susceptible to concussions.
One thing I LOVE about Lemieux is, to me, he seems indestructible, in terms of head injury. I don’t think his career is ending because of head injury. He might get other injuries but I’m confident his head is durable. Again...just a sport fan’s sense. Not a medical opinion.

Reactions: Cag29

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The thing I have a hard time with is making moves for "what if" ?

Aside from that..I see you have him penciled in on the top line.

I'd love it to just work out but that's "what if" X1000 lol

It's more about getting the pairings right. Feel free to swap Staal with Reunanen :laugh:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Trading this franchise’s first #1OA, no matter what the return, would just be...depressing.

The very idea of moving that pick reminds me of this scene from family guy.
HilariousCreamyAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If Buffalo called and said they'd do Dahlin for 1OA straight up, I would do it in a heartbeat.

If Buffalo called and said they had a huge package of picks and players to offer for 1OA, I'd hang up and go back to playing video games.
Would you trade the potential of a Mackinnon-Matthews range player straight up for Dahlin? Because I certainly wouldn’t.

It will take more and I just don’t see the Rangers doing this unless they get an absolute haul with either Dahlin or Eichel headlining the package.

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
At this point I don’t see the Rangers being an enamored with getting a collection of assets from anyone for the 1st overall pick. They would need a Prime piece coming back to headline a package for the 1st overall. This isnt an organization that is just starting their rebuild with nothing in the cupboard. They have their own collection of assets on the NHL roster and in the pipeline.

You take Lafreniere and go from there. Doesn’t sound like they will be moving up to get Lundell. Doesn’t sound like they think they can move from Strome for a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range and Buch would only go for another roster player while not even really being shopped. @Edge

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't see any way we're trading the 1st overall. I just don't see a package that could be put together that would be equal in value without messing up the cap structure. This pic represents years of a controlled star player, something we need to offset the Panarin, Zibanejad, Trouba style contracts.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
No chance Vegas makes that trade.

They'll want to move Stasny & or Marchessault, but Tuch isn't going anywhere.

Vegas would do that deal in 2 seconds. They have nothing of note on the right side puck mover wise. Theodore is not a PP QB. His playoff offensive output is a complete fluke much like McDonagh's was. They need a PP QB in the worst way and their lack of offense on the PP is really showing up vs Dallas now. It's much harder to get a PP righty QB than a Tuch. Rangers have no need for Tuch now that they will draft Lafrenierre and added Kakko last year. Holden and Martinez are 33. They have one righty d man and he has virtually no puck moving skills. What Vegas wants means nothing. It's what they need. Nobody is going to take Stastny or Marchessault. Stastny is 34 and makes 6.5 for 2 more years. Marchessault is small, 29 and makes 5 million over the next 5 years. Vegas is stuck with them or has to buy them out. Nobody will be doing Vegas any favors.

Plus if you look at their farm they have Glass who is a big center prospect and Krebs coming in a couple. They have nothing on the farm of note d wise. Especially right handed d. Guy the Rangers should try to get is Glass. I'd gladly give up DeAngelo and Chytil to get him. I don't know if they would bite on that. They might be able to steal him. I think with the hype he got that Vegas expected him to produce more in his debut. So maybe that offer would be enough to get them to give him up. DeAngelo would fit that team like a glove. They built that team to win now with their moves for Stone and Pacioretty.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He’s one of the few guys I’d bother targeting for acquisition. I’m general, I’m for a conservative approach. But I’d kick the tires on Gourde. Bet he’s not available though.

Does it really make sense to pay Gourde 5+ for his 29 thru 33 year old seasons??

For that $$, I'd prefer Palat.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Would you trade the potential of a Mackinnon-Matthews range player straight up for Dahlin? Because I certainly wouldn’t.

It will take more and I just don’t see the Rangers doing this unless they get an absolute haul with either Dahlin or Eichel headlining the package.

Yeah, I'm not giving up 1OA for Dahlin. I've already got the emotional attachment. Plus, there's something about having Lafreniere from the getgo, as opposed to acquiring Dahlin.

Reactions: RGY

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I'm dreaming of watching Lafreniere already but for Dahlin I have to do it. If you watch Hedman and what he does for that team and this kid is supposed to be better, I don't think you can pass on that. With all their forwards the reason Tampa got swept last year was Hedman was not healthy down the stretch and in the playoffs and it destroyed that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad