Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Eichel would be problematic because of his contract. The Rangers would automatically have to start moving bodies as a result.

Dahlin would be interesting, but I can't see that happening.

I could see Cozens, Johnson, picks 8 and 38 being on the table, but it would take at least one more prime asset for the Rangers to at least humor it. And at that point you're getting into Lindros/EA Sports trade territory.

Honestly if that’s the deal I’d rather keep Lafreniere. We aren’t Buffalo. We don’t need to keep extending a rebuild with more futures. I’m only doing a deal if Dahlin is in it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m not sure we don’t see Trouba on PP1 just as a pure shooter this year honestly. Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Strome(assuming he’s here).

I’m curious what type of offers are out there for Strome though. Pick?

Thats Zib's role on PP 1 though.

The only spot I'd change amongst those 4 is getting a LH shot in place of Strome. 4 righties on a single unit with your lone left hand shot hanging in the paint is kind of a waste.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Panarin, Draisaitl, Ovie? That about it? All of them a stretcg because to me its McDavid and Mackinnon and everyone else.
Exactly. LaF has to become the best winger in the league to be worth Dahlin.

Now there may be other reasons for NY not to want to deal the pick for Dahlin (such as the longer cost controlled ELC etc) but 1 for 1 I'd say that Dahlin is the more likely to be the more valuable player throughout their careers.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t think the team is going to move Tony ASAP. I would be surprised if he’s here in 2021-2022 though

Larry’s article even says that they’re going to offer him 1 year

Someone in here said it best yesterday, Tony is a luxury right now. You can keep the luxury and benefit, or you can move him and benefit with the ability to fill out other holes and backfill with arguably the best RD prospect not playing in the NHL

I think the most fascinating part of the conversation is what Tony’s actual worth in a trade is. There’s such a wide spectrum among people, it’ll be interesting to see what Gorton deems fair

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No, Dahlin is/was a lot closer to potentially being generational (i.e. a Top 3 dman, and possibly player, in the league for 15+ years) than Lafreniere. There has been at least some discussion about picking a C this year. There was ZERO during the Dahlin draft
To be fair, look at who the top centers were in The Dahlin draft. Not sure any of Kotkaniemi or Hayton would have rated as highly as Byfield or Stutzel

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Exactly. LaF has to become the best winger in the league to be worth Dahlin.

Now there may be other reasons for NY not to want to deal the pick for Dahlin (such as the longer cost controlled ELC etc) but 1 for 1 I'd say that Dahlin is the more likely to be the more valuable player throughout their careers.

My only issue comparing them is that Dahlin is 2 years closer to his big pay day which could be huge, I think we need those extra years to stagger things better as far as contracts go. By the time Laf needs a monster deal Panarin will only have a year left on his.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My only issue comparing them is that Dahlin is 2 years closer to his big pay day which could be huge, I think we need those extra years to stagger things better as far as contracts go. By the time Laf needs a monster deal Panarin will only have a year left on his.
The importance of the finances involved cannot be understated. Staggering your big contracts in a cap environment – and especially in a flat cap situation – is huge.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think Fox and Trouba could potentially make up the difference in points Tony would leave. Plus Lundkvist isn't a slouch on offense either, and if they acquire someone like Dunn, he's quite good on the PP

I also don't know if it's the end of the world if they don't make up for the offense. So they go from having a top 5 scoring D to a top 10, not the end of the world as some making it out to be

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The other thing on DeAngelo and his Pt production, PP1 really runs through him and Panarin. Those two guys handle and touch the puck more than the other 3 guys on the ice and really serve as the Co-QB's on that PP.

PP1 takes a big hit when he isn't out there. We saw them run the same group out there with Fox and it wasn't nearly as good and we saw how poorly the group performed during the playoffs when DeAngelo was playing on 1 leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->