Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Ryan Murray as an option, but man those injuries are a killer.

Over the last 12 seasons, between the WHL and the NHL, the guys only played 70 or more games twice. The guy has missed something like 215 out of a possible 656 NHL games he could've played in.

Reactions: RGY

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not sure Geo gets you 8 spots, but the pieces make sense for both sides if Askarov is off the board by 14.

Whats the cost normally for moving up from the low20's to the mid teens?

Maybe we toss in a 3rd as well? I've always pegged Geo as having the value of a 2nd.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I like Ryan Murray as an option, but man those injuries are a killer.

Over the last 12 seasons, between the WHL and the NHL, the guys only played 70 or more games twice. The guy has missed something like 215 out of a possible 656 NHL games he could've played in.

If Murray had some sort of nagging injury a la Gaborik I could see the Rangers taking a shot and hoping new doctors might be able to diagnose something, but Murray is just brittle as hell. Real shame because he's a really good player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not sure Geo gets you 8 spots, but the pieces make sense for both sides if Askarov is off the board by 14.

I think Askarov is the wildcare for a number of teams --- including Edmonton and Chicago.

I also think that while everyone is pegging Toronto for a defenseman, that Askarov is a legit possibility in that slot if he's on the board.

Reactions: RGY

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kind of depends on the situation but I think a 2nd usually gets you 2-4 spots? I think @Amazing Kreiderman has a chart on it floating around somewhere.

This is a good barometer.

The range is typically 2-6 places, with the sweet spot being 4.

So if you're looking at moving from the 22nd pick, your range is probably 16-21, and 23-28. Before taking out the Devils of course.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Askarov is the wildcare for a number of teams --- including Edmonton and Chicago.

I also think that while everyone is pegging Toronto for a defenseman, that Askarov is a legit possibility in that slot if he's on the board.

I think Chicago and Calgary are more likely than Edmonton in this case because of the jump required to get to 14. Plus, depending on how Edmonton sees the draft, they're the one team of that group who would be trading down into where a lot of people think the drop-off in talent occurs. If most feel there's a drop after 15 then Chicago and Calgary are already in that range. Of course all it takes is a couple of off-the-board picks and suddenly that range changes quite a bit. Askarov possibly being one of them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Chicago and Calgary are more likely than Edmonton in this case because of the jump required to get to 14. Plus, depending on how Edmonton sees the draft, they're the one team of that group who would be trading down into where a lot of people think the drop-off in talent occurs. If most feel there's a drop after 15 then Chicago and Calgary are already in that range. Of course all it takes is a couple of off-the-board picks and suddenly that range changes quite a bit. Askarov possibly being one of them.

I tend to agree, Edmonton would be really pushing it with a trade, unless the deal is expanded.

And again, I just don't believe the Rangers have that same urgency that they did in 2019 with getting into position for Zegras.

Truth be told, I'm not even sure packging Geogiev for a higher pick is in the top tier of their desires.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
On the spot as usual. Thanks, man!

So it looks like the only time a team came really close to that big of a jump was Buffalo and Calgary in 2012. Everything else is either a smaller range or involves teams trading into the latter half of the 1st round.

FWIW: This is the list of picks-only trade. There are a bunch of trades including players but comparing those is really tough

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Pronman's on record saying he thinks there's a drop at 9 and then another at 24.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I tend to agree, Edmonton would be really pushing it with a trade, unless the deal is expanded.

And again, I just don't believe the Rangers have that same urgency that they did in 2019 with getting into position for Zegras.

Truth be told, I'm not even sure packging Geogiev for a higher pick is in the top tier of their desires.

Yeah getting to 14 feels a lot more like the Zegras/Buch swap type of deal that is laid out before hand in principle and a team either jumps on or walks away from when the pick is on the clock. Barring a huge slide by a guy like Sanderson or Lundell I have a hard time seeing it come together.

Based on the info out there it just sort of seems like Georgiev's future is as a value-add piece in a player swap as opposed to moving for a pick. Even earlier this year when the rumors with Toronto were swirling it was for Kapanen and we never heard anything about picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad